U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 08:42 PM

246 posts, read 198,155 times

Advertisements

Port Washington
Rockville Center
Seaford
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 09:21 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,899,844 times
Rockville Center and Merrick

Old 05-21-2015, 09:42 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,649,586 times
Favorites-

Rockville Centre

Babylon

South Orange

White Plains

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Woodbridge is nice, as are some of the others. Still, I wouldn't encourage people to invest/move to affordable and close NYC suburbs as you can expect to see increased gang violence, etc., as people continue to be priced out of NYC and move there.
I strongly disagree with that.

That may be the case with Washington DC, but not in the NY area. In the NY area, inner-suburbs tend to have the highest notch public schools in the region and this where the vast majority of the city's upper middle class choose to settle down in so they can raise their kids in a nice environment with space while still having a managable commute.

The places most at risk for attracting NYC's poor are cheap satellite cities like Newark, Paterson, Irvington, Elizabeth, Hempstead, Yonkers, etc. Since they have tons of low-cost rentals, good public transit, similar environment as poor NYC areas, close to NYC but too far to gentrify...it's a perfect storm.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 05-21-2015 at 10:07 PM..

Old 05-21-2015, 10:01 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,519,567 times
I have a special place in my <3 for the town I grew up in, North Bergen NJ (in Hudson County). Although I came to find out just very recently that the public swimming pool I spent most of my childhood summers at was closed down because it was built over a toxic waste dump from an old oil refinery!

Old 05-22-2015, 07:50 AM

1,121 posts, read 978,027 times
i prefer NJ, especially the shore areas (Manasquan, Brielle, Spring Lake, Sea Girt, Avon, etc.) to Westchester.

i've lived in both.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:07 AM

20,252 posts, read 26,606,907 times
Bergen County, like Mahwah, Franklin Lakes, Ramsey, Saddle River.

Old 05-23-2015, 05:31 AM

397 posts, read 287,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I like Bronxville . THE best in my book. After that maybe Rye or Mamaroneck.

Generally,I think the lower Westchester and Ct suburbs are much nicer than Long Island or New Jersey.
I love Bronxville... Excellent town, schools and beautiful homes.

Also, love Riverdale... Some NJ towns that are close to NYC that are beautiful are: Alpine, Demarest, Englewood Cliffs (nice downtown area), Summit.

I personally also prefer Westchester and Ct... Only because LI is getting super congested. The only areas i would consider to move to would be along the North Shore.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:57 AM

2,274 posts, read 2,230,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
I would pick Bronxville, Scarsdale, Hartsdale, and White Plains section of Westchester for accessibility to Manhattan, affordability, aesthetic, and global warming (avoid hurricane sandy).

I thought so too until I went to fleetwood in search of bargain prices.

Is it, in fact, the case that living in Westchester County will defnitively make one avoid being affected by hurricanes? Do you think that climate/weather sciientists concur with that statement? What about tornadoes?

Old 05-25-2015, 08:32 AM

10,352 posts, read 12,483,604 times
Riverhead, Long beach. Not sure if LB is a suburb but its a nice place.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:33 AM

1,983 posts, read 1,251,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
Is it, in fact, the case that living in Westchester County will defnitively make one avoid being affected by hurricanes? Do you think that climate/weather sciientists concur with that statement? What about tornadoes?
Hurricanes are formed over sea over the warm moist waters of the Atlantic Oceans near the equator. In addition hurricane lose a significant amount of power over land. Long Island and NYC will bear the brunt of the storm before it reaches Westchester county (it will be a weaker storm). I didn't say Westchester could avoid global warming, I was given a choice to compare preferable suburb areas near NYC and I list a reason to consider Westchester county over Long Island.

Tornadoes are more common in the Midwest and not in the northeast coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or