Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 06:53 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,411,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
The toll is easy to avoid by using alternate roads and parkways but it's less than two dollars so I think most people don't bother.I think It's mainly there to rob people coming down from New England.
Now if there were free ways to get to & from New Jersey from whichever boroughs of New York City, that would be awesome . . . or otherwise if the tolls were nominal or more reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 07:02 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hithere_imbored View Post
What are your favorite New York metro area suburbs? This is based on IMO commute to NYC, lifestyle, 'town spirit', schooling, & crime statistics.

By these standards my personal top 3 would be:

1. Piscataway
2. Great Neck
3. Woodbridge

Honorable mentions to towns like:

Valley Stream
Levittown
Westfield
Old Bridge
Somerset
Freehold
Edison
Middletown
Huntington

What do you guys think?

I would love to hear your opinions
Douglaston

Old 05-26-2015, 06:14 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,213 times
I just moved to the LI burbs, East Hills in Roslyn, and while I am happy, my wife is miserable and missing Brooklyn already. Its only 3 weeks.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:39 PM

214 posts, read 197,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
QUESTION: So coming south from Westchester County into the Bronx (say, from White Plains or Valhalla), aren't there any road tolls to pay (e.g., perhaps the "NY State Thruway" or whatever other named road that charges tolls) or instead is one free of any road tolls just like if on the Long Island Expressway?
You pay the toll in Yonkers on The Thruway coming south, which I believe is a $1.50. If you're not driving a truck, all the parkways lead south to the city...for free. Saw Mill, Bronx River, Hutchinsons...Doesn't LI have parkways?

Westchester > Long Island

Old 05-26-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STB1220 View Post
You pay the toll in Yonkers on The Thruway coming south, which I believe is a $1.50. If you're not driving a truck, all the parkways lead south to the city...for free. Saw Mill, Bronx River, Hutchinsons...Doesn't LI have parkways?

Westchester > Long Island

I've never encountered any highways, parkways, throughways, expressways, on Long Island that incurred any kind of toll (unless someone knows something that I don't about roads that DO incur a toll on Long Island).

Old 05-26-2015, 11:00 PM

282 posts, read 350,494 times
Bedford, NY, Pound Ridge, NY
Westport, CT, Greenwich, CT

Old 05-28-2015, 09:40 PM

214 posts, read 197,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
I've never encountered any highways, parkways, throughways, expressways, on Long Island that incurred any kind of toll (unless someone knows something that I don't about roads that DO incur a toll on Long Island).
I was asking about parkways. The bridges to and from LI are tolled enough. Is the Throggs Neck still $7.50? Haven't been over since last summer.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STB1220 View Post
I was asking about parkways. The bridges to and from LI are tolled enough. Is the Throggs Neck still $7.50? Haven't been over since last summer.
I don't keep up with what the latest tolls are for each of the bridges that do charge tolls in the greater NYC metro area.

In terms of ROADWAYS (expressway, highway, parkway, throughway, et al), by whatever name, none of the roadways going into and coming out of Long Island from Queens and Brooklyn charge any tolls. And one can keep driving west toward Manhattan and cross the East River into Manhattan without paying a toll (e.g., Queensboro Bridge) and then, if you make your way north on East River Drive, you can cross for free into the Bronx on one of the multitude of free bridge crossings that cross the Harlem River into the Bronx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City