U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 03:45 PM

8,218 posts, read 8,495,554 times

Advertisements

and they must have sent out a blizzard of press releases, as it's being mentioned everywhere.

As for us:

Do you plan on visiting?

Are you fine about paying $32 for the privilege?

If they're letting victims and victims' families in for free, isn't that going to lead to tussles with a lot of people claiming that status?

Since the original WTC had twice been attacked, so one might figure it'll continue to be a target, if something happens, should people keep at this indefinitely?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 03:54 PM

2,721 posts, read 2,144,525 times
If someone claims to be the family member of a WTC victim to save $30, so be it. Their sorry life will not be improved just because of a nice view of the city.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:59 PM

8,218 posts, read 8,495,554 times
The point isn't whether you would say "So be it." The point is whether it ends up leading to fights with admissions people or guards.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:24 PM

30,314 posts, read 31,181,855 times
It looks like it would be nice to visit. But I can't afford the admission price so I probably won't ever do so.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:26 PM

9,693 posts, read 5,272,723 times
I think that there is documentation that family members get to qualify for the discounts, though I could be wrong on this. In any event, as I do not have loved ones who died on that tragic day (thankfully), I will not be going to the memorial as it is too expensive.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:34 PM

11,818 posts, read 7,691,265 times
Consider the area has caused lots of health problems for workers and even people who live nearby they should reduce the price for NYC residents. Just like Orlando FL residents get discounts for Disney World.

The owner of the WTC got the insurance money he needed and it took him a long time to get the building built for less than the insurance money. So he profited from it and now he wants to profit even more from it.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:52 PM

15,226 posts, read 23,743,496 times
while it does look incredible, I have been to the old WTC and saw the view, I believe the view is still the same.

I think I would like to see it, but if I dont, I wont lose any sleep over it. Im old skool, been to the old one a billion times, I had many friends that worked there for decades.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:32 PM

5,674 posts, read 5,151,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

The owner of the WTC got the insurance money he needed and it took him a long time to get the building built for less than the insurance money. So he profited from it and now he wants to profit even more from it.
Really? i didn't know this

Old 05-22-2015, 12:18 AM

3,674 posts, read 5,850,725 times
Families of victims have a case number.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:41 AM

51,189 posts, read 50,480,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
and they must have sent out a blizzard of press releases, as it's being mentioned everywhere.

As for us:

Do you plan on visiting?

Are you fine about paying $32 for the privilege?

If they're letting victims and victims' families in for free, isn't that going to lead to tussles with a lot of people claiming that status?

Since the original WTC had twice been attacked, so one might figure it'll continue to be a target, if something happens, should people keep at this indefinitely?
No one can just claim to be a family member. Remember when the Memorial Museum opened at this time last year? Well, family members, first responders, survivors, etc., got in for free during the preview week in advance of the opening. (I am a survivor.) We couldn't just show up and wave our hands around saying we fit the category. We had to fill out a form and then our status was verified. It is known who the survivors and family members and first responders are, and while I'm sure some have slipped through (remember the whacko woman running the WTC Survivor's Group in the first years who was never in the WTC?), I think they've got more or less accuracy on this. People will have to have a pass to get in for free.

Just to be clear, it's not that the "new WTC is opening". It's been open. People are WORKING there. Does the name Anna Wintour ring a bell?

The OBSERVATION DECK is what is opening now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City