Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 05:12 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmatthew5876 View Post
There's 2 lines, so one could go west along 125th and the other north into the Bronx.
True. If they made one line go north into the Bronx and the other go West, they could make the West line go to 125th and Broadway so one could transfer to the 2, 3 at Lenox, the A, B, C, D at St. Nicholas, and the 1 near Broadway. It would certainly increase development along 125th Street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 07:09 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
The other posters already answered your question. To get technical though, the IRT, BMT, and IND share the "same" tracks. It's the size of the tunnels and platforms that are the problem.

Sorry, I'm a train nerd.
lol, yeah that's what I meant the tunnel size

Old 05-22-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Is it by choice or with cost considerations that the new stations appear almost exactly like the old stations from almost 100 years ago? Of course they have to keep the tracks and signal systems the same but somehow I imagined these new stations would look a bit more modern like newer subway stations in cities around the world.
I thought it looked nicer

Old 05-22-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
4 tracks cost more than two tracks. It is very simple. Also the 2nd Avenue subway isn't the only subway with just local service. The L is just local. The Culver line in Brooklyn carries both the F and G, yet they do not use the express tracks. N and Q run on Astoria line, both local.
I thought it would have express service as well. It's not going to alleviate the 4/5/6 gridlock as much as it could if it had express service. I don't think money should be an excuse for not going all the way on this.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmatthew5876 View Post
They should extend the Q-T across 125th street to the west side and possibly even NJ. There is no good uptown east-west subway access currently.
Yes this is needed as well.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:23 PM

94 posts, read 214,844 times
Quote:
I think the Second Avenue Subway should go to the Bronx. The 2 and the 5 trains in the Bronx are overcrowded. As the Second Avenue Subway is extended to 125th Street it will have provisions for a later expansion to the Bronx.
Agreed. Although the eastern portion of the BX (Throggs Neck) could use a line a little more. Getting to Manhattan from there is a pain. It's either local bus or the slow express bus to the 6 train. There was a petition for ferry boats in that section but I don't think it will get approved.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
4 tracks cost more than two tracks. It is very simple. Also the 2nd Avenue subway isn't the only subway with just local service. The L is just local. The Culver line in Brooklyn carries both the F and G, yet they do not use the express tracks. N and Q run on Astoria line, both local.
With all the money we are paying in fares, this has to be in the plans. There's no way they take that long to make tunneling and not make an express track. Service not only needs to serve volume, it also needs to take into account shortening commute times.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bx1968 View Post
Agreed. Although the eastern portion of the BX (Throggs Neck) could use a line a little more. Getting to Manhattan from there is a pain. It's either local bus or the slow express bus to the 6 train. There was a petition for ferry boats in that section but I don't think it will get approved.
Where would second ave line run through in Bronx, third avenue? The third avenue corridor could really use train service.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Where would second ave line run through in Bronx, third avenue? The third avenue corridor could really use train service.
There are tracks that run through Hunts Point that are not in use but are still there from years ago. Why couldn't they re-purpose those. MTA gets budget to hook up Manhattan but there have been no expansion projects in the outer boroughs. Pretty soon these systems will need to be upgraded. I can't see MTA going another 100 years on the same existing tunnels and justifying these increases every 2-3 years.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:30 PM

109 posts, read 195,923 times
Musings on the lack of SAS express tracks :: Second Ave. Sagas

As far as I know, the latest is that there are no express tracks. This post is from 2009. If someone can post something more recent to show that they changed their mind and are installing express tracks, please post it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City