U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 08:58 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,638,901 times

Advertisements

Are there any other subway (metro) systems in the world with express train tracks like the MTA's? I don't know of any. It is a tribute to the foresight of the original planners of the system long ago who devised the express train setup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 09:14 PM

3,333 posts, read 3,288,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Are there any other subway (metro) systems in the world with express train tracks like the MTA's? I don't know of any. It is a tribute to the foresight of the original planners of the system long ago who devised the express train setup.
A foresight?

It's more like a logical outcome.
Quadruple track - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , scroll down for systems with 4+ tracks.

If the plan is never to extend the T to another borough then there's no need for an express track. When the line is fully completed will only have 15 stations. Single direction route time may be somewhere on the order of 35-40 min.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:29 PM

2,178 posts, read 1,725,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
They have some in Philly & I think another state.

NYC's is wayyyyy better though lol.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:29 AM

33 posts, read 60,357 times
I wonder if they will have gates on the platform that will open only when the train comes? This is a great idea, for safety reasons, and to keep the tracks clean. Some New Yorkers are filthy and take every opportunity to dump everything in the tracks.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:22 PM

23,265 posts, read 16,096,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bx1968 View Post
With all the money we are paying in fares, this has to be in the plans. There's no way they take that long to make tunneling and not make an express track. Service not only needs to serve volume, it also needs to take into account shortening commute times.
From the MTA's website and all of the related design plans THERE ARE NO EXPRESS tracks. The Second Avenue Subway just has LOCAL service.

mta.info | Capital Programs Second Avenue Subway

Phase one is an extension of the Q train to 96th street, and phase 2 is an extension of the Q to 125th Street. When they build phases 3-4 they will introduce the T train. All trains on Second Avenue will be local. The Q will obviously remain express on Broadway.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:57 AM

20,167 posts, read 26,469,688 times
Nice pictures OP. Brings HOPE to my heart (and not the Barack Obama type.)

So what are the options to get on the Second Avenue line and wind up on the East Side IRT? Anything better than continuing on the Q to Union Square and changing there to go wither North or South on the IRT?

Or that horrible walk from 63rd to 59th on Lex and the waste of a "free transfer."

I guess option one is best. "East Side, West Side, all around the town."

Old 05-24-2015, 06:17 AM

14,878 posts, read 17,443,718 times
I wonder where is the rail yard or rail Depot for the T train?

Old 05-24-2015, 06:51 AM

785 posts, read 846,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I think the Second Avenue Subway should go to the Bronx. The 2 and the 5 trains in the Bronx are overcrowded. As the Second Avenue Subway is extended to 125th Street it will have provisions for a later expansion to the Bronx.
where would it go back up 3rd ave? the bronx lacks a lot of things numerous train lines isnt one of them.....

Old 05-24-2015, 08:11 AM

20,175 posts, read 21,776,227 times
For the Bronx, I'd think that transit funding priority would be the Triboro RX before expanding the 2nd Avenue subway into the borough since the it'd likely be a fairly cheap project comparatively for what you get (first phase of 2nd Avenue is looking to be 4.45 billion--total of the four phases is expected to be in excess of 17 billion; projections for the entire Triboro Rx is 1 billion, but let's assume that's pie in the sky and balloon it out to 2) and would allow more potential cross-borough transfers before getting into Manhattan in addition for allowing direct travel among the outer boroughs.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:13 AM

9,833 posts, read 21,516,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albanyreject View Post
I wonder if they will have gates on the platform that will open only when the train comes? This is a great idea, for safety reasons, and to keep the tracks clean. Some New Yorkers are filthy and take every opportunity to dump everything in the tracks.
Doubt it, from the looks of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City