U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How are you compensated?
Hourly 11 26.83%
Salary 30 73.17%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 12:55 PM

1,315 posts, read 753,577 times

Advertisements

Salary vs hourly depends on the employer.

Working for an online retail company I dislike being hourly over the summer because I can't leave early on nice days because I end up screwing over my paycheck. Come fall & winter being hourly is a bonus as I can simply peace out once my time us up while the salary employees are expected to pull 10-12 hour days over the holiday season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 01:44 PM

15,237 posts, read 23,793,029 times
I don't give a crap about overtime, I don't want to do it anyway. 8-4 is enough of my day. thank you very much, I have other interests in life.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:33 PM

1,633 posts, read 2,210,794 times
Salary plus overtime, awesome

Old 05-23-2015, 11:27 AM

5,580 posts, read 5,377,762 times
It really depends on how hard you're working, and what you do. If you're a knowledge worker you're probably not working that hard in the first place. If you're in an office setting, work can be intermittent. Even if you're in a call center, if you add up all the time you're sitting around waiting to get a call that might be anywhere from 20 minutes to several hours. Same with manual labor; you aren't working the entire time you're on the job.

If you are working the entire time you're on a job, and you can never decompress, then you need a new job. I've worked in several call centers, all hourly, most with down time. One time I decided to work for an employer to get a few dollars more, but it was the worst decision ever. Even though I wasn't making as much previously, I found myself working non stop from the time I clocked in from the time to go home, no decompression, no down time and you can barely get up to use the restroom. No sleep, no conversations with co workers in between calls. It was the worst.

Needless to say that job did not work. Now I am at a job with a lot of down time, again, and I am not leaving (not on my own will anyway). It doesn't pay as much, but if you factor in how much work I actually do, for that work I'm actually getting paid more. Only thing I have to do now is go back to school and find a better situation that either pays more, or allows me to do even less than I do now.

That last job my supervisor always liked to tell us how we had it better because we can get overtime and make more money than their base pay, to motivate us. Only issue is that they had WAY more down time than we ever did, plus they could pace their work and it wasn't moving at the rate of the call. They didn't even take calls; rather they would call a customer back and handle it that way. In hindsight I should have stayed at the first company, but the way that it worked out, I am actually a lot happier here than I was at either place.

You have to be careful. A lot of companies will pay $2 more but make you do three times the work. And then you can't go back to the company you left, because they know you'll leave again for a similar reason in the future. I made that mistake once I'm not making it again. If you do leave, have a plan in place and make sure you are learning something new or getting something out of the deal you can use in the future, not just a few extra dollars you'll end up spending anyway. I sort of got that out of that move, but I really didn't. I only have myself to blame for that though.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:41 PM

1,308 posts, read 2,916,747 times
Plus there are really diff types of a salary type work I'm at the higher end of my job in the so called salaried pay scale .but with that I get paid vacation and paid medical leave plus a bonus on how well the company did doing the year.
But there is a couple times a year when it does suck to be in my pay scale compared to the bartender or the waitstaff.but I know how much I, going to Mack it month no matter what but they are never sure what they are going to make

Old 05-23-2015, 02:46 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,081,326 times
I get salary + time and a half for any time worked past my 40 hours per week.

I also get 4 weeks vacation per year, 10 paid holidays, sick leave, flex time, can work from home 3 days per week and will get a freakin' pension!

Old 05-23-2015, 03:08 PM

1,315 posts, read 753,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I get salary + time and a half for any time worked past my 40 hours per week.

I also get 4 weeks vacation per year, 10 paid holidays, sick leave, flex time, can work from home 3 days per week and will get a freakin' pension!
You must be an MTA employee.

Sorry I had to do it

Old 05-24-2015, 04:25 AM

4,796 posts, read 4,679,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkub101 View Post
Most salaried position are considered to be higher paying jobs that require higher education, while the majority of hourly positions are considered to be lower paying jobs that require very little to no education. There are exceptions to both, of course.
Many health care jobs are hourly and not salaried---I wouldn't call those lower paying jobs that require very little to no education. (Some are but nursing, lab work, PTs, RTs, etc. all require education and licensure.)

Old 05-24-2015, 06:34 AM

20,180 posts, read 26,480,657 times
You forgot 2 possibilities in the poll:

O Retired
O Unemployed

Old 05-27-2015, 12:28 PM

251 posts, read 148,815 times
If you're "comparing the AVERAGE salaried worker to the AVERAGE hourly worker" as OP states, then it's no question that the average salary worker is better off than the average hourly.

"Contingent workers had median hourly earnings in 2012 of $11.95, compared to $17 for workers with standard full-time jobs"
Shocker: 40% of Workers Now Have 'Contingent' Jobs, Says U.S. Government - Forbes

Just think for a minute -- why would businesses be trending towards contingency/contract/hourly work? Are they doing it because, overall, it benefits employees, or are they doing it to help their bottom line? Sure, in many situations for the individual, hourly can be better, but we're talking about "average salaried to average hourly worker" here.

Last edited by honeynutcocopuffs; 05-27-2015 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: Updated to cite statistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or