U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2015, 05:56 PM

20 posts, read 16,016 times

Advertisements

I am relocating out of the area due to a job transfer in 2 months and will have 2 months left on my lease at that time. My apartment leasing office will not let me out of my lease, but they will allow me to assign the lease to a new tenant (who I have to find) who must sign a new 12 month lease.

What is the best way to find a new tenant? I don't know how to go about finding one. I'm a little reluctant to invite random strangers from the internet into my apartment to show the unit. However, I don't thing renting it through a broker is possible because the building has an internal leasing office so tenants could just go rent a different unit through them (granted for $250 more in rent) without paying a fee.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 06:00 PM

457 posts, read 567,174 times
Since there's only 2 months left, you should use your security deposit for 1 month and if your rent is not that expensive, I'd pay the remaining month and just move on with my life. You could also choose to not pay and I doubt anyone would chase you down for 1 month.

Why should you help them find a new tenant? Are you getting a. Realtor fee/commission for doing their job?

Don't fall into their ridiculous trap. I doubt they'll even give you your deposit back.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:03 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,831,012 times
Post at schools - Columbia, for example. People come for summer school and need short-term places. Pratt and Parsons also have big summer programs that attract a lot of non-New York students.

I would exercise caution taking advice from anyone who views leases, which are legal documents, as "ridiculous traps."

Old 05-22-2015, 06:07 PM

I'm sure anyone would common sense would not chase someone down over 1 month of rent. The legal fees, time, and heartache involved to get $1,200.00 from someone over 1 months rent is straight up ridiculous.

People have credit cards with 10K balances and refuse to pay and default and nobodies taking them to court, right?

The least of anyone's worry is 1,200.00. If your rent is 5K, I might respond differently. Your landlord/management company don't seem very understanding. People have life events and reasons to move and should have the right to do so. People dont make decisions based on their lease or hold out on life events till a lease expires so they can partake in those life events. But also think if the situation was reversed. What is the likelihood that this tenant is even going to get his or her security deposit money back?

If someone is a Harlem resident then their rent is probably very inexpensive so i don't think any LL or management company will chase them down. They'd probably thank them for moving so the developers of the world can continue to gentrify everything north of 96th and Broadway. Just an observation.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:51 PM

396 posts, read 283,822 times
My friend actually did this process and used Craigslist. She screened applicants, ran credit reports etc. It all worked out pretty well for her...

Old 05-22-2015, 07:53 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,831,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLotteryGurl View Post

If someone is a Harlem resident then their rent is probably very inexpensive so i don't think any LL or management company will chase them down. They'd probably thank them for moving so the developers of the world can continue to gentrify everything north of 96th and Broadway. Just an observation.
FYI - rents in Harlem are around $2,300 to start.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:10 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,065,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLotteryGurl View Post
I'm sure anyone would common sense would not chase someone down over 1 month of rent. The legal fees, time, and heartache involved to get $1,200.00 from someone over 1 months rent is straight up ridiculous.

People have credit cards with 10K balances and refuse to pay and default and nobodies taking them to court, right?

The least of anyone's worry is 1,200.00. If your rent is 5K, I might respond differently. Your landlord/management company don't seem very understanding. People have life events and reasons to move and should have the right to do so. People dont make decisions based on their lease or hold out on life events till a lease expires so they can partake in those life events. But also think if the situation was reversed. What is the likelihood that this tenant is even going to get his or her security deposit money back?

You never know with some LLs. If it was me I would chase over a month's rent. Plus if I win I would make the deadbeat to pay for my missed time from work as well as attorney fees as well if I had an attorney.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:11 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,065,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
FYI - rents in Harlem are around $2,300 to start.
I dont believe that...seems too high, especially east Harlem. What do studios rent out for on average?

Old 05-22-2015, 08:11 PM

I was looking at a 1 bedroom there and it was only 1,400.00.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:31 PM

20 posts, read 16,016 times
If this changes things, my apt is a studio in a luxury building and rent is ~$2,150 which is a pretty good deal. Also, mgmt will not go for a short term rental - it has to be a full 12 month lease. I have also heard that they immediately refer all past due rent to a collections agency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or