U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-23-2015, 02:11 AM
 
3 posts, read 3,512 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

My landlord failed to give 90 days notice for me to look over my renewal lease. The renewal lease would have started 6/1/15. I told him that since he only gave me 30 days notice, I would like to start the renewal lease on 8/1/15 (making it 90 days notice).

He wants me to scratch out the 6/1/15 start date and write in 8/1/15 and initial it and he will do the same. Since it's just the cover sheets he has to change, isn't this very suspect and unprofessional. I don't trust him and asked him to send me NEW Cover Sheets with the correct date of 8/1/15 ... he has ignored FOUR emails.

What do you think? Should I continue to press for the new sheets with new renewal dates or do the sloppy scratch out and fill in with initials?

Thanks
denise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-23-2015, 08:05 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
20,182 posts, read 26,506,670 times
Reputation: 9054
Get it done right...with a new lease renewal offer printed by HIM.

What you have is probably fine in 95% of the cases, but it could cause problems the other 5%. The net of his suggestion is that YOUR lease will be scribbled over and his MAY or MAY NOT be, you will not know until the next year (or two.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2015, 12:19 AM
 
3 posts, read 3,512 times
Reputation: 10
Thank you Kefir King

Actually Landlord sends me 2 copies of the lease ... mine and his. I'd scratch out the dates on both our copies, initial both changes and sign it. Then send back to him to do the same.

Then he sends me a copy of the lease with the scratched out date, new date, initials of both of us and both our signatures on it. It woudn't work for him to send me a copy that looked OK and then do something weird on his copy.

I really hate doing it this way, but he hasn't returned FOUR emails and I'm tired of this. I tried to call the Legal Dept. of our Senior Center, of course no call back .... geez. You can't win. Thanks so much for your answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2015, 06:36 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
20,182 posts, read 26,506,670 times
Reputation: 9054
Okay I misunderstood.
I thought this was already a done deal and you had only your copy back from him.

As you present it there should be no problem with both initials on your copy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top