U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2015, 05:36 PM

8,389 posts, read 19,619,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweme1 View Post
Hello - my young family is going to be relocating to the NYC area for a job. We have been living in mid-Cambridge for a few years and love it. Is there an equivalent neighborhood in NYC or any of the surrounding suburbs? Reasonable commute to lower Manhattan is important. Also understand that most neighborhoods around there will be more expensive.

Thanks!
I have been living in NYC for decades but I grew up in Cambridge and most of my family is still there. It's very hard to find NYC neighborhoods that are at all similar to Cambridge,especially with a reasonable commute to lower Manhattan but I will suggest Carroll Gardens. It has a lot of Cambridge feel and the commute isn't bad at all. Park Slope is over priced and feels more like The Back Bay than Cambridge. A very different vibe.

Where exactly do you live in Cambridge ? I grew up on a block between Mass Ave and Harvard St ,between Central Sq and Harvard sq.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 05:41 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,822,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I have been living in NYC for decades but I grew up in Cambridge and most of my family is still there. It's very hard to find NYC neighborhoods that are at all similar to Cambridge,especially with a reasonable commute to lower Manhattan but I will suggest Carroll Gardens. It has a lot of Cambridge feel and the commute isn't bad at all. Park Slope is over priced and feels more like The Back Bay than Cambridge. A very different vibe.
Forgot about Carroll Gardens - I agree.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:18 AM

12 posts, read 7,536 times
If you're used to [and like] mid-cambridge, you should look at the neighborhoods between downtown brooklyn and prospect park-- Prospect Heights, Park Slope [although rents there tend to be extremely high and the subway access gets worth the further south in the neighborhood you go]. As BrightRabbit noted, you will want to watch out for properties that are far away from the subway. In particular, the southern part of Park Slope is only served by the R train, which is erratic, slow, and unpredictable. Anything more than a 5-6 block walk can start to feel really far when you're commuting everyday.

Fort Greene [has the advantage of a large park in the middle of the hood], Clinton Hill [although depending on where you are commuting to Clinton Hill can be a drag since its only on the C line].

I lived in Crown Heights [Franklin Ave] 3 years ago and loved it, however the neighborhood has really changed and is chock full of bars [its a drinking destination on the weekends now], so it may be less desireable for young children. The Southern part of Bed-stuy [around Nostrand ave or Frankline Ave C stop] is also nice, although you will be further from Prospect Park.

You could also check out Astoria Queens-- really diverse, fun neighborhood with great food. Good subway connections to Manhattan on the N/Q. The most multicultural area I've ever lived in. However, I would avoid it if you have a car, as I've never had more difficulty with parking in all the parts of NYC i've lived in [even Manhattan....].

In Manhattan there is Washington Heights and Inwood, although parts of those 'hoods can be further from downtown than Brooklyn; it all depends where you are commuting to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City