U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 03:24 PM

11 posts, read 17,525 times

Advertisements

A driver almost hit me one time and he told me that Nyers cant cross the street. When I discovered he had an NJ plate, I told him to go back to NJ, where he belongs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 05:18 PM

279 posts, read 639,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osai789 View Post
So, during the road test, if you touch one of the vehicles during the parking portion, its an auto fail.
or if any portion of the tire hits the curb its an auto fail. I had an examiner fail me because they got out of the car to check distance/space between the curb and cars in front/back and they noticed the front wheel was turned very slightly causing it to hit the curb yet i didn't actually hit the curb or anything.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:07 AM

11 posts, read 17,525 times
That sucks. Just realized I have to wait 6 months before I can take a road test. Is this true?

Old 05-27-2015, 06:23 AM

3,447 posts, read 1,260,942 times
Don't turn on the blinker if you wanted to change the lane.

Soon as you turn the blinker on, they gang up on you and make every effort not to let you in their lane.

When you see a tiny bit of space between two cars in the neighboring lane, just shove your car in !!!

Old 05-28-2015, 02:18 PM

251 posts, read 148,591 times
You need to have 50 supervised hours behind the wheel:
Prepare for your road test | New York State DMV

And IIRC, they could ask for up to 2 parallel parking demonstrations. Each being worth 15 points. Since you need a 70 to pass, it's technically possible to pass a road test all else being perfect except for screwing up both parallel park maneuvers.
http://www.idriveny.com/wp-content/u...5/roadtest.pdf

Though, it's unlikely someone who fails 2 parallel park maneuvers in the same road test won't have any other point deductions.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:06 AM

1,840 posts, read 1,694,266 times
When I got my license in the 1970s there's no way we had 50 hours driving during Drivers Ed, and zero hours at night, not 15. We had four students in the car and to get 50 hours each would have taken a long time.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:20 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,066,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Don't turn on the blinker if you wanted to change the lane.

Soon as you turn the blinker on, they gang up on you and make every effort not to let you in their lane.

When you see a tiny bit of space between two cars in the neighboring lane, just shove your car in !!!
Very true lol. Also all those cars that skip the line entering highway exits really **** me off.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:30 AM

4,787 posts, read 4,673,880 times
I had my very patient husband teach teach me how to drive. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by azspeedbullet View Post
or if any portion of the tire hits the curb its an auto fail. I had an examiner fail me because they got out of the car to check distance/space between the curb and cars in front/back and they noticed the front wheel was turned very slightly causing it to hit the curb yet i didn't actually hit the curb or anything.
I had read that now you can tap the curb, but I'm not sure if that's true or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osai789 View Post
I feel nervous because my mom failed the road test twice due to parallel parking. I want to pass the first time. Correct me if I am wrong, but I have to get 50 hours of practice before I get a license?
I have to say it's a bit of luck---look at all of the people who can drive and park pretty well but once in awhile, they will still have to pull forward again and fix their park job. Luck also involves the person you get testing you---I've had friends who've had complete psychos grading them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City