Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2015, 10:41 AM

5 posts, read 134,844 times

Advertisements

I'm taking my road test in a few weeks May 26 - at 1pm. ( Havermeyer Ave in the Bronx). I watch dmv videos every day, review the dmv manual and observe from my window the traffic (turns, parking, etc) every day. I have book 5 driving lessons with a driving school.

I'm not nervous. Any tips, suggestions and advise is very much appreciated. Please share your experience.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 01:29 AM

7,852 posts, read 7,740,736 times
Relax. They like to have people drive in desolate, non-traffic areas, because they know you're a beginner. Do what your instructor tells you to do, don't get worked up, and you'll be fine

Old 04-10-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Relax. They like to have people drive in desolate, non-traffic areas, because they know you're a beginner. Do what your instructor tells you to do, don't get worked up, and you'll be fine
Thank you so much!!

Old 04-10-2015, 01:57 PM

515 posts, read 870,996 times
Judging from the amount of "stellar" drivers we have in NYC, it seems like they pass everyone so you should be fine.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:20 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,303,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skynni2 View Post
I'm taking my road test in a few weeks May 26 - at 1pm. ( Havermeyer Ave in the Bronx). I watch dmv videos every day, review the dmv manual and observe from my window the traffic (turns, parking, etc) every day. I have book 5 driving lessons with a driving school.

I'm not nervous. Any tips, suggestions and advise is very much appreciated. Please share your experience.

Thank you!

I wouldn't observe the traffic outside---most people aren't great drivers. Never took lessons (except from my poor husband) but listen to what they tell you.

Make sure you:
-Stay under the speed limit
-Make sure you look EXTRA hard on the k-turns. My sister and I both lost points (took the test about five years apart) on this stupidity. I think they are just looking for stuff to take points off for because she had told me that and I did look a lot and made it very obvious when I made a k-turn.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I wouldn't observe the traffic outside---most people aren't great drivers. Never took lessons (except from my poor husband) but listen to what they tell you.

Make sure you:
-Stay under the speed limit
-Make sure you look EXTRA hard on the k-turns. My sister and I both lost points (took the test about five years apart) on this stupidity. I think they are just looking for stuff to take points off for because she had told me that and I did look a lot and made it very obvious when I made a k-turn.
Thank you, every detail counts! - I can see the errors people made, gosh why people don't signal their intentions...this is the most annoying thing I have notice from my window.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:08 PM

503 posts, read 893,071 times
Quote:

Thank you!
I've taken the road test at that exact location a while ago. But it's still the same since my cousin just took it there in Oct 2014 as well. That location is a CAKEWALK. But please for the love of god, when you are in line waiting to be the next car for the exam, put your blinker on when the instructor tells you to get on the road. That's a automatic point reduction if you do not do that, 2 seconds in. From what I can recall, it took about 5 minutes. It was around the same time as your test, (I remember because I wanted an hour without traffic or school buses) He had me drive about 3 or 4 blocks up from the start point, made a left, drove a bit forward then was instructed to do a broken u turn (or 3 pointer.) Drove for a couple of minutes, was then instructed to park my car behind a vehicle. Did it, got out of the parking spot, drive forward, asked to change my lane when safe (use signal)... Make another turn and you're pretty much done. That was my experience there.

Also,

NYC has the worst drivers I've ever seen. I mean, I've driven in Buffalo and it's tailgate city up there, it's bad too. But NYC is a whole 'nother monster. When you get your license and you're actually seasoned, you're going to realize the idiocy of many drivers. Just assume that everyone is completely stupid around you (because they more than likely are) and you'll always make the right decision.

Don't sweat the road test, it's a joke, I'm sure you'll be fine especially since you've given so much thought to this.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:34 AM

I took my road test yesterday and I Passed!! 2 errors only Thank you all!

Old 05-29-2015, 09:40 AM

643 posts, read 763,158 times
Quote:
I took my road test yesterday and I Passed!! 2 errors only Thank you all!
Good for you!! Congrats!! Now remember to be safe out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: