U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2015, 07:59 AM

11 posts, read 17,472 times

Advertisements

I just received my Junior permit 2 months ago and I am about to go to driving school soon. Do any of you have tips for driving in general? Which driving school I should go to?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 08:00 AM

1,417 posts, read 1,696,893 times
Stay alert at all times. Watch your six like a fighter pilot (actually watch it, don't rely only on mirrors)...anything can happen at any time from any direction.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:04 AM

I feel nervous because my mom failed the road test twice due to parallel parking. I want to pass the first time. Correct me if I am wrong, but I have to get 50 hours of practice before I get a license?

Old 05-25-2015, 08:12 AM

9,693 posts, read 5,275,637 times
For parallel parking issues: if you don't feel comfortable with it (or even if you do), look into getting access to a car with a rear review reverse camera. From what I understand, they are allowed on the road test, and there is no way you should fail due to parallel parking with one.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:21 AM

So, during the road test, if you touch one of the vehicles during the parking portion, its an auto fail.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:27 AM

9,693 posts, read 5,275,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osai789 View Post
So, during the road test, if you touch one of the vehicles during the parking portion, its an auto fail.
Don't know for sure, but would imagine so. But they try to find a spot with plenty of space for the parking part of the test, so that's not a major concern for most. Still, that's not the only thing to be concerned about while parallel parking on road test. You should primarily be concerned about not hitting the curb, as the points deducted for doing that means a failure for just about everyone.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:40 AM

Ok thanks. When are the best times to take a road test.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:23 AM

996 posts, read 943,326 times
Chapter 7: Parallel Parking | New York State DMV

My recent recollection helping someone upstate prepare for a roadtest was a professional driving teacher advising: your wheels can touch the curb lightly and you can correct from that (points lost). Instant Failure is driving a wheel up onto the curb. Other instant parallel parking failures include: touching the other cars, or forgetting your turn signal before you begin. Maybe there are more.

But maybe that's just upstate.. idk.

The most important tip for young, newly licensed drivers post-test is: concentrate 100% and take charge of other peoples' behavior in the vehicle. If friends or family passengers do anything distracting (loud laughing, insisting on a radio that distracts you,etc.) make them stop or refuse to drive until they behave. Tell them they're free to leave your car if they don't like the rules. It's a role reversal that young people aren't accustomed to, especially if they need to quiet their own parents or good friends. Make others you are driving wear their seatbelts; refuse to drive until they are buckled. As the driver, you're responsible for their safety, so be tough about it. I think there are rules about how many others you're allowed to drive during your first year.. you'll find that out in driving school.

Read the DMV website on Roadtest, if you haven't already.

At the very first moment of the test, right after you meet the tester inside your car, he'll tell you to pull out into the street to begin. Nope. Check your mirrors first. Put on seatbelt. Turn On Your Signal right then -- and look at mirrors and through window onto the street for oncoming cars -- before you pull out from that parked spot. I heard lots of fails happen right there, before driving even begins. Just nervous.

One way to cope with nerves is to realize there's no penalty or shame if you don't pass first time around. Plenty of people retake that test. You just reschedule, and practice some more.

Big causes of accidents: drinking, texting, talking on phone,... just don't. When you're new, it's even hard to adjust a radio dial while driving. Keep eyes 100% on the road, and both hands on steering wheel at 10 and 2 o'clock positions.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 05-25-2015 at 12:07 PM..

Old 05-26-2015, 04:11 AM

Thanks everyone. Hopefully when I go to build my computer. I can drive from my Castle Hill house to the Microcenter in Yonkers, rather than waiting for my dad to take me every time.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:35 AM

2,138 posts, read 2,156,541 times
Learned how to drive with Target Driving School in 1989. The second lesson I was already on the FDR Drive in a dual steering wheel car. The instructor was doing cocaine and telling me " You're good You're good". I was petrified.

Eventually I got rid of the coke addict and got a real teacher....same school.

Recently moved out to San Diego and was petrified after not driving for years. What did I do ? Got right on the major freeway in a Ford F150 Pick Up Truck.....PETRIFIED.

Things are better two months later but I'll be damned if they don't give drivers licenses to retarded idiots. Some of the lane changing going on is insane.

If you learn to drive in NYC. You can do it anywhere.....almost anywhere. Good luck overseas !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City