Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 09:02 AM

4 posts, read 10,195 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the area of Staten Island close to the Woodrow Shopping Plaza. Can you please advise on the general neighborhood, safety, schools, and as equally important, commute to midtown? I heard that the X22 takes roughly an hour from the Woodrow Shopping Center to 57th Street. Is that accurate? Also, what form of transportation is available during off peak/weekend hours? We are moving from Brooklyn and are not familiar with Staten Island at all. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 10:22 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tii7 View Post
We are moving to the area of Staten Island close to the Woodrow Shopping Plaza. Can you please advise on the general neighborhood, safety, schools, and as equally important, commute to midtown? I heard that the X22 takes roughly an hour from the Woodrow Shopping Center to 57th Street. Is that accurate? Also, what form of transportation is available during off peak/weekend hours? We are moving from Brooklyn and are not familiar with Staten Island at all. Thank you in advance.
Takes a lot longer than an hour, from what I can remember. I lived on Rossville for most of my life. The area is considered good and safe....

Old 05-26-2015, 10:49 AM

279 posts, read 521,591 times
I have a good friend who lives on the South Shore not too far from Woodrow). From that area I believe she uses the X22 to get to work and drives to other express buses off-peak when necessary, although I believe she usually drives as much as possible when not going to Manhattan. I would see which express bus works for you and go with it. As for the amount of time, I have no idea how long the trip is, as I am not a resident of Staten Island, but you should factor in traffic and give yourself a good 30 minutes extra at a minimum to ensure that arrive on time. On occasion I go to visit her and it doesn't take much for a back up to occur.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:08 AM

443 posts, read 437,878 times
I used to live right off the Verrazano (last bus stop before the bridge) and it took an hour just to get to Battery Park. The commute sucks because of traffic and it generally takes an hour and a half to get to midtown.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:33 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,307,791 times
It's a great area. Commute time is not an hour. I think the 22 goes through NJ if i'm not mistaken My girlfriend takes the x17 in daily and her commute in on a good day is an hour and fifteen minutes. Last week was a nightmare it took her two to 3 hours to get in on the days she went in to the city. If the Lincoln tunnel has issues, and it always does than the commute becomes a disaster.

The port authority terminal get's backed up and it screws everything up all the way to the NJTP.

The commute home isn't much better. The PA terminal bottle neck affects the entrance to the tunnels and the bottle neck merge at the NJTP turnpike tolls in conjunction with whatever type of construction project is going on makes it a nightmare commute. It's exhausting.

You should plan on an hour and half commute on average daily.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:02 PM

432 posts, read 551,784 times
if youre commuting to midtown I'd strongly consider the mid-island or east shore over the south shore

Old 05-26-2015, 03:05 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
The only way it'll take an hour is if you leave super early (like before bAM early). Otherwise, it'll take much more. I live right by the Goethals Bridge and it usually takes at least 45 minutes to get to 34th Street, or even more if you leave after 7AM (and obviously it would take more if you went to 57th Street).

Old 05-26-2015, 03:09 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
you Staten Island guys give good info on your borough - good job!

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-26-2015, 03:43 PM

19,042 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Woodrow is a very safe area. The only downside is you'll be a bit away from the nearest supermarkets (Pathmark on Bloomingdale or Key Food on Arden). Train is an option also, but it will take much more than 1 hour to get to midtown.

My only concern when living over there was the punk teenagers who used to hang around the shopping plaza, but I have no idea if that is still a problem as I no longer live over there.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:55 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,969,591 times
I currently live right in that area. Moved here about a year ago from the bullshead section of Staten Island. I love it here, the area is very safe, I love living by bloomingdale park. Me and my girlfriend I for runs/walks there quite often.
I don't have any children so I couldn't help much about the schools. As far as transportation goes, obviously Staten Island is much more car oriented than Brooklyn, as far as convinince when using a car, I enjoy the proximity to both 440 and Korean War vets parkway. Commute to midtown via public transportation is problem a bit harsh. I drive to midtown for work and it only takes me about 35-40 min but that's at 4:45am, during peak travel times that commute can easily stretch to 1.5 hours or more. Other than the travel to midtown though the neighborhood is great, nice tree lined blocks, some very impressive homes as you go toward the Korean War vets from Woodrow ave. Hope you enjoy it here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: