U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 06:55 PM

5,339 posts, read 4,014,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalkiki View Post
Thats not a huge jump in murder. But stop and frisk isn't necessary to stop crime. I've notice a huge change in the attitude of the cops by me. These kids were chasing this boy and the 2 cops (assuming rookies walking by foot) just turned around to go in the other direction. I was standing in front my building the other day when this cop pulling someone over about a foot away from me. Guy had no licenses the cop told him "i don't feel like doing any paper work right now" and let him go. I see cops walk by people smoking weed or having open bottles. I am not for the criminalization of marijuana but I am definitely used to a cop saying something. I just seems so strange. However, I don't think NYC is more crime ridden and I do not blame deblasio. Its just an observation I noticed.
First Baltimore, then Chicago, and now more great news out of NYC! I love it!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 07:29 PM

42 posts, read 60,535 times
It is hard to see a "trend", if this is a trend, when the absolute numbers are still so small. Still, the people of New York City literally elected to begin an important social experiment on policing and governance when they voted overwhelmingly to return City Hall to a liberal democrat in 2014 (when de Blasio's term began). By the end of his four years as mayor, we should have a pretty good idea of what works and what does not work.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:28 PM

493 posts, read 365,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Why should cops bother people for smoking weed or outdoor drinking if they are not bothering anyone?
Not saying they should but im so used to them bothering and ticketing people. I just said I noticed a changed stated no opinion on it.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:36 PM

852 posts, read 811,568 times
What a stupid thread. You know that crime in general (rape, assault, burglary, larceny) is down 7% from last year, and that's including the increase in murders. That means that overall, the city is slightly safer than last year. And btw, 5 of the murders are carry overs from last year, which means last years figures are technically 5 murders higher and this years figures are 5 murders lower. In other words, this increase in murders is statistically insignificant. The fear mongerers on this thread are driven by ignorance and bigotry rather than actual facts. It's quiet sad.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:19 AM

252 posts, read 195,320 times
^^^^^^^
I just have to re-iterate, the fear-mongering, ignorance, and general idiocy in threads like these is really frightening. Even discounting that 5 of the murders are from last year, an increase from 11 to 16 in an area of 1.6 million people is absolutely insignificant. Crime and various individual crimes go up and down randomly, but the overall trend continues to be downward in NYC. There will always be some crime though, it won't all disappear, but we live in just about the safest big city in the country (for comparison, Baltimore, a city of 630K, had 9 murders and 50 shootings this weekend). And, finally, de Blasio and any other politican have absolutely nothing to do with minor variations in the crime rate over small periods of time. Good lord smh

Old 05-28-2015, 07:33 AM

23,263 posts, read 16,088,546 times
These so called fear mongers are just trolls who do not and likely never have lived in NYC.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:39 AM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,643,254 times
Denial is just as comical. One agenda isn't more righteous than the other. Given the evidence at the present its just as preposterous to say there is no change as it is to insist the increase will continue and is not just noise. Of course its always the other team that's wrong...

We'll see by the end of the summer if its a reverse in the shootings trend or not. Lets hope not, because reactive policing will be too late for those affected.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:47 AM

23,263 posts, read 16,088,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Denial is just as comical. One agenda isn't more righteous than the other. Given the evidence at the present its just as preposterous to say there is no change as it is to insist the increase will continue and is not just noise. Of course its always the other team that's wrong...

We'll see by the end of the summer if its a reverse in the shootings trend or not. Lets hope not, because reactive policing will be too late for those affected.
Crime historically has been higher in the summer for rather obvious reasons. Fact.

Fact: The trolls are not interested in discussion. Why come to the NYC forum to push an anti New York agenda?

Many of them when confronted in other threads will complain about how expensive NYC and then you get to the core of the problem. They can't afford to live here and therefore have to rationalize it. So they try to describe NYC as overflowing with crime when even in the 80s NYC was never among the top 10 in murder rates. NYC never had drive by shootings like Los Angeles.

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 05-28-2015 at 08:05 AM..

Old 05-28-2015, 08:45 AM

2,682 posts, read 3,577,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
It has nothing to do with what I want or wanting my rent to go down. That's just silly.

I apologize, this board is inundated with people pining for the "Bad Old Days" and I misinterpreted your tone.

Having said that, your calculus gets thrown off by the fact that NYC will always leave set asides for the very poor. It's the working to middle classes that are being thrown out of gentrifying neighborhoods (which I do agree is unfortunate). I get your math and in a normal RE market it makes sense, but NY is politically and socially a different animal. NYCHA isn't going anywhere nor is the myriad of supportive housing programs, even in gentrifying neighborhoods.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:38 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,751 posts, read 39,675,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Fact: The trolls are not interested in discussion. Why come to the NYC forum to push an anti New York agenda?
Perhaps he was unaware that the increase was statistically insignificant, at most marginally significant due to the tail-heavy statistical distribution murders take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or