Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 12:23 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Nah. They just need to check you into Bellevue Hospital. Or you can check yourself in.

Your comments and this entire post is completely out of left field and has nothing to do with the OP.

I am not a math major and I went no further they basic calculus. I didn't need to. I am not interested nor will I ever study statistics.
His comment was aimed at how the OP titled the thread. A 45% increase in murders does not mean you are 45% more likely to be murdered. Simple as that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 12:53 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
For this city, the only mathematical formula that applies is this:

M = 1/C

where M represents the murder rate and C is the cost of living.

Figure that out first and then get back to me.
Disgusting. So let's have more crime so your rent can go down?

Old 05-27-2015, 01:20 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
His comment was aimed at how the OP titled the thread. A 45% increase in murders does not mean you are 45% more likely to be murdered. Simple as that.
Okay, of course. But the OP's statements have nothing to do with math education or lack of. It is politically motivated propaganda posted by a right wing troll.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:30 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Assuming murder rate follows a poisson distribution, and the murder rate was unchanged from last year (11 murders in this time period in Manhattan), there's a 5.6% chance there would be at least 16 murders by chance alone. Of course, the number of murders last year in Manhattan in Jan to mid May may have been lower than usual by random chance as well, so 11 is a bad assumption.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:50 PM

493 posts, read 511,854 times
Thats not a huge jump in murder. But stop and frisk isn't necessary to stop crime. I've notice a huge change in the attitude of the cops by me. These kids were chasing this boy and the 2 cops (assuming rookies walking by foot) just turned around to go in the other direction. I was standing in front my building the other day when this cop pulling someone over about a foot away from me. Guy had no licenses the cop told him "i don't feel like doing any paper work right now" and let him go. I see cops walk by people smoking weed or having open bottles. I am not for the criminalization of marijuana but I am definitely used to a cop saying something. I just seems so strange. However, I don't think NYC is more crime ridden and I do not blame deblasio. Its just an observation I noticed.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:29 PM

19,039 posts, read 13,955,559 times
Awesome! It's catching on. Great observations.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:52 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
That is such an insanely low number for the entire borough it's ridiculous... For years pretty much up until the mid 90s, the upper Manhattan precincts alone used to record around 500 homicides annually. And now, we're almost midway through the year, and 16 homicides within 22 precincts total sends shivers down peoples spines. Man, when did we become such punks... Not saying that a 45% increase isn't cause for concern, but when we're dealing with historically low levels, percentage increases are bound to fluctuate... Again, not defending DeBlasio but the Post in this case clearly has an agenda...
Yup. Some people have no perspective.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:30 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Why should cops bother people for smoking weed or outdoor drinking if they are not bothering anyone?

Old 05-27-2015, 06:30 PM

12,202 posts, read 7,221,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Disgusting. So let's have more crime so your rent can go down?
I knew there would be someone out there ignorant enough to interpret it like that.

So let me explain and dispell the ignorance...

What that formula says is that there is an inverse relationship between an area's cost of living and the number of murders (and really you can say, overall crime rates in general). Rising cost of living tends to drive (and keep) out the demographics that are likely to contribute to crime, and vice versa.

What that means is that unless cost of living drops precipitously in the city, skyrocketing murder numbers like what was seen back in the bad old days of the 70's to 90's are not likely to happen despite the alarmists among us seem to think.

It has nothing to do with what I want or wanting my rent to go down. That's just silly.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:55 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,750,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalkiki View Post
Thats not a huge jump in murder. But stop and frisk isn't necessary to stop crime. I've notice a huge change in the attitude of the cops by me. These kids were chasing this boy and the 2 cops (assuming rookies walking by foot) just turned around to go in the other direction. I was standing in front my building the other day when this cop pulling someone over about a foot away from me. Guy had no licenses the cop told him "i don't feel like doing any paper work right now" and let him go. I see cops walk by people smoking weed or having open bottles. I am not for the criminalization of marijuana but I am definitely used to a cop saying something. I just seems so strange. However, I don't think NYC is more crime ridden and I do not blame deblasio. Its just an observation I noticed.
First Baltimore, then Chicago, and now more great news out of NYC! I love it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: