U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2016, 01:33 PM

1,040 posts, read 697,736 times

Advertisements

How much do they cost and what is monthly condo charges and RE tax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 04:33 AM

13 posts, read 20,839 times
I am also feeling the same. So many questions, not enough time to ask....

I emailed Mr. Reed and asking for recommendation for the condo insurance, he said he will email couple of agent contact for everyone later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKCloser22 View Post
Hey All!

I JUST FOUND THIS FORUM!! Arrgghhh!

I have been pulling out my hair all by myself for the longest.
About me I have been selected as CB. I am in contract and moving forward? Is anyone else on the forum at this phase?

@Halfie - I assume you are at this phase since you are looking for insurance? I just received a very good quote from progressive. I also have my regular people at Allstate give me a similar quote. I may go with them..

Old 02-28-2016, 11:18 PM

6 posts, read 6,256 times
Does anyone know how insurance coverage is provided for the rest of the building aside from your own personal insurance? for example, issues that could potentially happen due to exterior issues and then possibly spreading over to your own personal property. Also property that might be kept in the storage area?

Also what would a good quote or reasonable policy look like? I am not sure what questions to ask or how much coverage is needed. I have many questions about this? Please share any helpful tips to consider when shopping around.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:54 AM

2 posts, read 1,620 times
@Mom2016 The building carries its own separate insurance. It is paid through our monthly maintenance. The sponsors will provide a copy of the insurance to your lender. You will be able to see whats covered then.

Your own private insurance is for your specific unit. As far as insurance quotes it depends on a few factors. You are responsible for everything that is inside of your unit. So insurance quotes will differ in prices depending on how much coverage you may choose for your dwelling, personal property and personal liability etc.;. Also, how much of a deductible you desire will be a factor. I would suggest just calling up any major insurance company and asking them how does condo insurance work. There is no obligation and they will be glad to help.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:27 PM

7 posts, read 7,791 times
Also @Mom2016 and @BKCloser22 -- I just had lunch with a friend who bought a condo in williamsburg 5 years ago and whose father is a developer, and she said do not skimp on insurance (i.e. do not choose the lowest coverage options)!! Apparently in a brand new building there are often kinks to work out in the first few years (leaks, HVAC issues, etc) that while unideal are to be expected, and you do not want to be caught with your pants down. You can always drop down to a cheaper policy after the first year or two.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:30 PM

Has anyone recieved their appraisal. I noticed on one the forms sent from the bank that the floor plan looked very similar to the Market rate one that had washer and dryer in their units? Has anyone done an appraisal on own and if there where any substantial differences?

Thsnks for sharing helpful tips on insurance @bkcloser22

Old 02-29-2016, 06:34 PM

@halfie. Thank you will definitely keep in mind. However, being a 1st time home buyer not sure what is even reasonable or fair?

Old 03-01-2016, 11:35 AM

6 posts, read 6,902 times
@ Mom2016, I was quoted $430 for insurance with Travelers.
My appraisal also mentioned a w/d in the unit. But I think they mean in the building. Walk through tomorrow, so I will report back.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:28 PM

2 posts, read 1,740 times
@patracha. Are you doing your walk through with a home inspector?

Old 03-01-2016, 02:47 PM

7 posts, read 8,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patracha View Post
@ Mom2016, I was quoted $430 for insurance with Travelers.
My appraisal also mentioned a w/d in the unit. But I think they mean in the building. Walk through tomorrow, so I will report back.
Is the $430 quote for a year or half a year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City