U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 12:53 PM

3 posts, read 2,037 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have lived in NYC for 6 years, but am looking to move to Chinatown/Two Bridges area because it is near my work and the price is right.

My company has offered to pay for half the rent so that they can use the second bedroom for employees who are visiting from out of town.

Does anyone know if this is generally allowable? Or how would most landlord in the area react to this?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 01:26 PM

8,389 posts, read 19,628,289 times
If I were you I wouldn't do it because you will essentially have your employer as a roommate. If I were your landlord I wouldn't allow it.Do you really want your company having anything to do with your living situation and having to put up with strangers coming and going ?

Whole arrangement sounds like a recipe for disaster if you ask me.

Last edited by bluedog2; 05-27-2015 at 01:34 PM..

Old 05-27-2015, 03:11 PM

3 posts, read 2,037 times
The benefit to me is that there would only be people there around 10-50% of the time. But i see your point.

Does anyone else have any opinions on how landlords would react?

Old 05-27-2015, 03:28 PM

4,133 posts, read 5,945,094 times
This is nuts. Tell yr company to spring for a hotel when out-of-town employees come in. Or buy a corporate apartment.

If your company pays half the rent, you will have no control over how long the out-of-towners will stay, you'll have no control when they'll be there, and you'll have no control, especially, about how they act, because the company will be setting the rules in your house -- not you. Then of course, there is the question of security. Who the hell are these people? And could they pose a danger to you or the other tenants?

All in, you'll have even less control over your personal living space than you'd have if you put the extra bedroom up for rent on Craig's List or Air B&B. (and there are landlords and tenants who wouldn't be happy with that either.)

Do not do. Repeat: Do not do.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:53 PM

9,955 posts, read 8,445,983 times
In general, the LL can't do anything about it. You're allowed to have a roommate.

The employer thing is an odd angle, though. From a legal standpoint, it likely wouldn't change things.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:20 PM

2,054 posts, read 984,379 times
Why can't your employer buy or rent a company apartment for out of town employees to stay at? Is it standard practice at your job for the employees to have to share their apartments?

What if the out of town employee stays for a year or so, working on an assignment for the company; can they now proclaim themselves as a legal tenant of the apartment? Wouldn't you have to run this by your landlord? Yes, legally you might be entitled to a roommate but the landlord (or other tenants) might think that you are using your apartment for AirBnB if they see different people coming and going during the year.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:32 PM

8,389 posts, read 19,628,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
In general, the LL can't do anything about it. You're allowed to have a roommate.

The employer thing is an odd angle, though. From a legal standpoint, it likely wouldn't change things.
Well,landlord does have a legal right to know who the roommate is and to reject said roommate if it is a business or a corporation and to insist that the right does not extend to employees of the allowed roommate or to friends of friends of the allowed roommate.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:28 PM

5,682 posts, read 5,158,578 times
You really want to have your home be like a hotel? Get yourself a 1 bedroom. Tell your boss to rent their own apt for people coming and going.
Also have you thought about if your employer will supply furniture, a cleaning service, someone to do the bedding once guests leave, supply kitchen supplies. You can't be expected to do all that.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:36 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,489,312 times
It's nice to live close to work, but not THAT close. Sounds terrible, unless you're some blando corporate clone or worse some generic twatwaffle in tech and social media, in that case go for it I guess.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:49 PM

2,937 posts, read 1,662,205 times
Omg no, you have a personal life I'd hope? These "roommates" report to your job, they can complain or report back to your company about your life.

Come in late from a night out make some noise and wake up the guest and he tells your job.

Don't do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or