Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 05:01 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Really ? How, do tell, might one find this "majority." How, exactly, is this majority "clear" ? And to whom ? Would this "majority" be landlords ? transplants ? how might we understand the demographic here. I have a feeling it is the majority of people who hang around at your own neighborhood bar every evening. Probably far from New York. Alas, one may only hope.

Perhaps more importantly. If this is so "clear," why post such a waste of space - there, because it is the same tired drivel. Why bother if these facts are so "clear."

Around 50 % of apartments are regulated, by the way, perhaps a few more. Your "minority" is barely clearing the pole, if it is at all.

The same foaming-mouth rant we get in each and every one of these threads, along with the New Jersey people who come to the fore in support. It's all so boring.
Actually IIRC 60% to nearly 70% of all rental housing in NYC falls under some type of government regulation. This includes RC, RS, SCRIE, NYCHA, and so forth. Market rate units make up a small percentage of the City's housing stock.
Manhattan Rental Market Report | MNS is Real Impact Real Estate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 05:14 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Actually IIRC 60% to nearly 70% of all rental housing in NYC falls under some type of government regulation. This includes RC, RS, SCRIE, NYCHA, and so forth. Market rate units make up a small percentage of the City's housing stock.
Manhattan Rental Market Report | MNS is Real Impact Real Estate
But that was my point. It is scarcely a system benefiting a minority.

I do agree with you about tenants taking buy-outs. I have discussed this with tenant groups many times, trying to dissuade them from giving up and settling for monies that will give them quite little. Ironically, the few wealthy people I knew with regulated leases were bought out for very large sums of money. I do not see this in Harlem, though. I see offers of small amounts of money and then only after a few years of what is basically outrageous harassment.

I realize that such discussions are easy for me - what would I do if I needed the money and found myself in that position.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
But that was my point. It is scarcely a system benefiting a minority.

I do agree with you about tenants taking buy-outs. I have discussed this with tenant groups many times, trying to dissuade them from giving up and settling for monies that will give them quite little. Ironically, the few wealthy people I knew with regulated leases were bought out for very large sums of money. I do not see this in Harlem, though. I see offers of small amounts of money and then only after a few years of what is basically outrageous harassment.

I realize that such discussions are easy for me - what would I do if I needed the money and found myself in that position.

Have mentioned this before; an heiress to the Coca-Cola fortune who is one of the top RS brokers in NYC received a large payout for her RS apartment on Central Park South. The building was being emptied out so the developer can put up a large new tower.

That an heiress to such a vast fortune had a RS apartment overlooking CP is bad enough, but this woman by no means was "POOR" due to her career. Central Park South Holdouts Get Million-Dollar Buyouts - Rent Wars - Curbed NY

Again just goes to prove my point that RS tenants and their supporters are often after protecting their own interests. That a LL/property owner should have to pay > one million to get back an apartment from tenant who is worth more, much more than that shows how screwy the system works.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:30 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times
the only thing I will say is when these people rented these apartments either RC or RS no one knew back then, what the real estate of today would have been.

Years ago, who would have wanted to live in Chelsea, now look......so......

but I am still not for rc or rs.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
the only thing I will say is when these people rented these apartments either RC or RS no one knew back then, what the real estate of today would have been.

Years ago, who would have wanted to live in Chelsea, now look......so......

What a particular RS rental market is neither here nor there for the purposes of this debate. Renters are not property owners. Yes, can see if someone is low or moderate income and a case can be made for them to remain and benefit from a gentrifying area. However someone with a net worth clearly able to afford market rent shouldn't be allowed to treat their lease as some sort of capital gain.

One knows more white/upper middle class households both gay and straight gaming the RS system simply because they have "squatter's rights" as it were. Many treat their RS apartments in the Village, Chelsea, UWS, UES, etc... as pied-a-terres. They have a home or homes elsewhere but "keep a place in the City".

Old 05-31-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
What a particular RS rental market is neither here nor there for the purposes of this debate. Renters are not property owners. Yes, can see if someone is low or moderate income and a case can be made for them to remain and benefit from a gentrifying area. However someone with a net worth clearly able to afford market rent shouldn't be allowed to treat their lease as some sort of capital gain.

One knows more white/upper middle class households both gay and straight gaming the RS system simply because they have "squatter's rights" as it were. Many treat their RS apartments in the Village, Chelsea, UWS, UES, etc... as pied-a-terres. They have a home or homes elsewhere but "keep a place in the City".
I am quite familiar with this population.

Whereas in Harlem it is many families. A few people staying with girlfriends in Brooklyn while renting out the RS place to tourists in order to make some cash.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

Why ? I don't need it either but it is a kind of principle.

I always consider other opinions, though.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:14 AM

931 posts, read 801,647 times
Price control in apartment rentals would make sense if expense control existed for landlords. Since it doesn't, so shouldn't rent stabilization/rent control. It's that simple.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:42 AM

897 posts, read 1,252,988 times
Quote:
Why re-rehearse the same silly and reactionist arguments (on both sides) that have already appeared 1.9 billion times here ?

Oh, I forgot, people have little more, and nothing meaningful, to do. Definitely let's feed that.

On the other hand ... you gotta LOVE the Colorado commenter. It always makes me laugh - at their expense - to see people who live elsewhere pontificating about issues in New York. Dumb and dumber and I am sure there is much more to come.
Funny, because there is no POSSIBLE way this commenter (who isn't me, fyi) lived in NYC for a much longer timeframe than in CO and actually has an opinion based on years of living in NYC? Every person that lives in a certain city must have lived there his/her own life... Dumb and dumber indeed

Oh, and I haven't actually read his/her comment, just responding to your ridiculous statement

Old 06-01-2015, 09:12 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
The city would probably lose at least 44% of its struggling residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City