Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 08:57 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times

Advertisements

The article is about people who are building to the limits of the zoning regulations, and have ruined the visual cohesiveness of this area in Flushing. Terrible for neighbors who are in the shadow of this type of building (look at the photos).

Unfortunately, I can't see de Blasio downzoning anything. He's all about building bigger.

I personally think a design review should be obligatory for all new residential construction. What neighborhood hasn't had attractive housing torn down for these cheap buildings? You can't landmark everything, but there has to be more regulation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/03/ny...nav=MostViewed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 09:03 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,702,939 times
This has to do with the fact that the neighboring houses are only one storeys, and they are obviously under-utilizing their allowable building rights. If everyone build to max zoning in the past, we wouldn't have this problem. Its like if you build a single family home at Times Square and then scream because there are all these skyscrapers "blocking" your sunlight. Eventually this problem will go away by itself, when every structure on the block maximizes their land value. They all will be the same height. Right now, those 1 floor houses in the picture are probably worth less than the land they are sitting on. If anything, zoning should be raised even higher.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:14 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,047,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
This has to do with the fact that the neighboring houses are only one storeys, and they are obviously under-utilizing their allowable building rights. If everyone build to max zoning in the past, we wouldn't have this problem. Its like if you build a single family home at Times Square and then scream because there are all these skyscrapers "blocking" your sunlight. Eventually this problem will go away by itself, when every structure on the block maximizes their land value. They all will be the same height. Right now, those 1 floor houses in the picture are probably worth less than the land they are sitting on. If anything, zoning should be raised even higher.
I strongly agree with this. As long as people are within the bounds of zoning laws and aren't illegally converting their homes what's the issue. Those row houses are actually pretty ugly I would be laughing my butt off if I were those old timers getting paid close to 600k for a two bedroom single story rowhouse.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 06-03-2015 at 09:46 AM..

Old 06-03-2015, 09:20 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
I strongly agree with this. As long as people are within the bounds of zoning laws and aren't illegally converting their homes what's the issue. Those row houses are actually pretty ugly I would be laughing my butt off if I were those old timers getting paid close to 600k for a two bedroom single story rowhouse zoned for only one family homes.
I agree that prices are ridiculous, but feel sorry for people who have to live with this crap.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I agree that prices are ridiculous, but feel sorry for people who have to live with this crap.
Different strokes for different folks. My coworker tell me in his town in the suburbs they now require a minimum of 3 acres to build a single family home. No one wants to live next to trashy poor folks on lots less than three acres there.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:30 AM

79 posts, read 91,804 times
It only takes 1... eventually that whole row will be $900k homes.. nasty but what can you do

Old 06-03-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krs8808 View Post
It only takes 1... eventually that whole row will be $900k homes.. nasty but what can you do
Have you actually seen those houses in person? Most of the ones occupied by old timers are run down and in disrepair. The windows are also mostly barred up from the time Flushing was getting dangerous. I understand if you don't like seeing or living next to Asians with money, but please be a little bit more objective.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:40 AM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
I saw that article yesterday, and immediately thought the neighborhood busybody should just S_T_F_U. It's not his property. The building meets zoning, end of story. Period.

Neighborhood "character", however any of the POS NIMBYs/Luddites want to define it, does NOT trump the property rights of the people who own the properties in the area.

Quote:
The article is about people who are building to the limits of the zoning regulations, and have ruined the visual cohesiveness of this area in Flushing. Terrible for neighbors who are in the shadow of this type of building (look at the photos).

Unfortunately, I can't see de Blasio downzoning anything. He's all about building bigger.

I personally think a design review should be obligatory for all new residential construction. What neighborhood hasn't had attractive housing torn down for these cheap buildings? You can't landmark everything, but there has to be more regulation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/03/ny...nav=MostViewed

Old 06-03-2015, 09:41 AM

79 posts, read 91,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
Have you actually seen those houses in person? Most of the ones occupied by old timers are run down and in disrepair. The windows are also mostly barred up from the time Flushing was getting dangerous. I understand if you don't like seeing or living next to Asians with money, but please be a little bit more objective.
Well, after they build up the block, it will be the norm, rather than the exception. But as the only monstrosity currently, its *ruined the visual cohesiveness* IMO

Old 06-03-2015, 09:42 AM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
I feel sorry for the property owner who has to put up with the self appointed neighborhood design cops who try to get in the property owner's business, when they have absolutely no right to.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City