Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 02:49 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,472,390 times

Advertisements

What If New York Had No Rent-Regulated Apartments? | Village Voice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 03:05 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times
Why re-rehearse the same silly and reactionist arguments (on both sides) that have already appeared 1.9 billion times here ?

Oh, I forgot, people have little more, and nothing meaningful, to do. Definitely let's feed that.

On the other hand ... you gotta LOVE the Colorado commenter. It always makes me laugh - at their expense - to see people who live elsewhere pontificating about issues in New York. Dumb and dumber and I am sure there is much more to come.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:44 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,081,669 times
OP - By having no rent regulated apartments, do you feel the rent will become cheaper or more expensive??

Old 05-27-2015, 03:50 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,472,390 times
My take: It depends who you are. If you've been in a rent regulated apartment for the last 30 years, your going to take a big hit. Welcome to reality.

If you're looking for a new apartment, you'll probably do better than you would currently. Those million rent regulated apartments going up to market rate in a relatively short period of time will have the effect of rationalizing the market. A lot of apartments will end up empty and on the market at the same time. Not many people alive now remember the last time this was the case. So marginal rates (rates on empty, available apartments) will come down from what they are now.

Overall total average rents will go up, but not by as much as many people think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
OP - By having no rent regulated apartments, do you feel the rent will become cheaper or more expensive??

Old 05-27-2015, 03:56 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,669,806 times
Rents will not come down but they may go up slower in the future. Older people living in rent regulated apartments for 20 to 30 years will suffer the most. I think the study can be summed up by saying, for those 44% rent burdened New Yorkers, tough luck!

Old 05-27-2015, 04:43 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Why re-rehearse the same silly and reactionist arguments (on both sides) that have already appeared 1.9 billion times here ?

Oh, I forgot, people have little more, and nothing meaningful, to do. Definitely let's feed that.

Two reasons:
It's worth posting because it's a new article.
It's worth posting because there are always new people here for whom the discussion is news.

I don't know about you, but I like having articles brought to my attention.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:57 PM

106,654 posts, read 108,810,853 times
initially rents will likely go up . boston saw construction and work permits soar as old ratty apartments were renovated. and updated and new cost money..

Old 05-27-2015, 05:02 PM

593 posts, read 470,530 times
I would like lawmakers to phase out rent regulation in NYC. If that isn't possible, it should at least be reformed. Possible ideas for reform:

- strict income and asset limits, verified annually
- no inheritance of stabilized leases
- periodic resets to prevailing market rate
- fines for tenants who abuse the program (i.e. live out of town most of the time and use their stabilized apartment as a pied-a-terre or rent it out for profit)

It's time to get rid of this absurd, antiquated system.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:03 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
It probably wouldn't matter since the vast majority of regulated apartments are already renting at less than their maximum allowable stabilized rents because the true market rents are lower. It's called "preferential rent" and it is quite common in most of the city. Landlords are in affect already able to legally raise the rents if they could get the maximum allowable rents but they can't.

It is only a tiny percentage of regulated apartments that are actually renting for less than market rate and most of them are in Manhattan.

In reality,rent regulations are already well on their way to a natural death.

Also,Boston and Cambridge had rent controls similar to NY's but abandoned them in the mid 90's. Rents soared across the board and are still among the highest in the US. Rent deregulation did nothing to lower rents or stop their upward trajectory.Sure increased property values though !

Old 05-27-2015, 05:10 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
It probably wouldn't matter since the vast majority of regulated apartments are already renting at less than their maximum allowable stabilized rents because the true market rents are lower. It's called "preferential rent" and it is quite common in most of the city. Landlords are in affect already able to legally raise the rents if they could get the maximum allowable rents but they can't.

It is only a tiny percentage of regulated apartments that are actually renting for less than market rate and most of them are in Manhattan.
But that can't be true ! I mean ... isn't it the case that there are droves and droves of trust-fund folk, literally millions of greedy natives, who hang onto their $75 a month rentals ? While they count their riches and visit their luxury homes in the Hamptons ?

'Cos that's what I always heard and I just believe it because it's easier. I moved here last month from Dead and Dusty Brook, Wyoming (right next to the mall) and I think it is outrageous that I cannot find one of these places. Those rich lease-holding anti-American deadbeats are driving up my rent and I am as mad a hell. I am entitled to better and I demand an invisible hand to help me out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City