Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 08:29 AM

105,671 posts, read 107,628,943 times

Advertisements

i used to hang out in seaview park in the 1970's. very different there today .

Police search for gunman after 14-year-old boy shot in groin in Canarsie, Brooklyn | 7online.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 08:32 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,308,697 times
Just about every neighborhood vs 1970 is very different than today. But what you are alleging is that crime like this did not occur in the 1970s in Canarsie? It was a "safe" place?

I know little of Canarsie except that it was of course Mob territory back then. So it may have felt "safe" but that's because the Mob did not allow any other criminal enterprise to infiltrate their turf. That isn't any more safe than China's government being the only criminal enterprise allowed in the country...sure it is very "safe" in China, so long as you ignore the criminal government which controls crime.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:58 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,242,990 times
Haven't been there since playing baseball as a kid so don't know if its changed much. But was talking to someone about fishing off the pier. Is it a decent spot to fish (or really just relax without it being crowded) without having to go far away?

Old 09-21-2013, 11:14 AM

33,323 posts, read 46,766,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Haven't been there since playing baseball as a kid so don't know if its changed much. But was talking to someone about fishing off the pier. Is it a decent spot to fish (or really just relax without it being crowded) without having to go far away?
I used to hang out at the pier with an old flame some years ago....its quiet

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-21-2013, 11:23 AM

588 posts, read 943,625 times
It's more dangerous now.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:49 AM

Canarsie = dangerous? Smh not even. Trust me that's not the hood at all. I've ran thru even Bayview and Breukelen. I've seen much worse.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:03 PM

3 posts, read 2,580 times
I grew up in Canarsie and lived there for 35 years hung out in Seaview Park and Ave. L just about everywhere.
I knew the Boys and yes if you moved in on them you got the bat. When the Cop told you to get off the corner and move on you did sure we gave him some lip , but you better have your running shoes on. I remember one time coming through the park I got into a altercation with another young man , I told him I couldn't fight him right now because I had on my good pants on so follow me home and I'll change and we both walked to my house I think I may have lost that one but after all was said and done my mom came out with 2 glasses of ice tea and we sat on the stoop and in the end we became friends. The point is back then we had respect good family structure this is something that is slowly fading away.
Back then we were raised by Mom and Dad not X-Box or Google.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:06 PM

105,671 posts, read 107,628,943 times
i grew up on ave L and east 92nst . i lived on the block with joe's pizza and the school.. 1970's

Old 06-01-2015, 05:16 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,866,357 times
I actually thought this was a thread with pics in Canarsie Park for a second.

How safe do you guys think walking down the bike path along the Belt is early in the morning? I sometimes walk down Cross Bay in the morning when I'm off but I could use a change of scenery.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Be Good View Post
I grew up in Canarsie and lived there for 35 years hung out in Seaview Park and Ave. L just about everywhere.
I knew the Boys and yes if you moved in on them you got the bat. When the Cop told you to get off the corner and move on you did sure we gave him some lip , but you better have your running shoes on. I remember one time coming through the park I got into a altercation with another young man , I told him I couldn't fight him right now because I had on my good pants on so follow me home and I'll change and we both walked to my house I think I may have lost that one but after all was said and done my mom came out with 2 glasses of ice tea and we sat on the stoop and in the end we became friends. The point is back then we had respect good family structure this is something that is slowly fading away.
Back then we were raised by Mom and Dad not X-Box or Google.
What a cool story haha.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City