U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 09:59 AM

32 posts, read 42,956 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am currently waiting to find out if HDC approved my application for Morris. It was sent a few weeks ago and management called me yesterday to let me know that HDC requested two more stubs. I'm hoping that will be it and I will get an official yes because management even showed me the unit I would be awarded. The wait is totally killing me.

Question: Does HDC just confirm your income and check with the IRS. The actually management checks everything else, correct?

Thanks and best of luck to everyone waiting as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 12:29 PM

16 posts, read 19,933 times
@jcordero1423 - Thank you for this post. It was extremely helpful!!

@sweetthickness10 I am going through the same process. My interview was on Oct. 31; I was later emailed on Dec 21 asking for two more pay stubs for the month of November. A week later I had an appointment to view an apartment and was told after the viewing within 1-2 weeks I will be called in to sign the lease. Two weeks passed and I didn't hear anything so I called the office to see but was told my file is still waiting on a decision from HPD. I don't know what to think at this point the suspense is killing me and I hate overthinking the worse. Hopefully we both hear something back soon. Good luck to you too~

Old 01-20-2017, 03:51 PM

64 posts, read 47,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntdawkins92 View Post
@jcordero1423 - Thank you for this post. It was extremely helpful!!

@sweetthickness10 I am going through the same process. My interview was on Oct. 31; I was later emailed on Dec 21 asking for two more pay stubs for the month of November. A week later I had an appointment to view an apartment and was told after the viewing within 1-2 weeks I will be called in to sign the lease. Two weeks passed and I didn't hear anything so I called the office to see but was told my file is still waiting on a decision from HPD. I don't know what to think at this point the suspense is killing me and I hate overthinking the worse. Hopefully we both hear something back soon. Good luck to you too~
Hey fellow posters. I just got a call from my management office saying that HDC has approved my application, oh glory be!!

I applied to a different building in Harlem as even though I'm a Brooklynite, all my log numbers were in the high 30xxx. Hold the faith guys, I'm keeping my hopes and spirits up for you all. It is a tough process and I know it can be draining and frustrating.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:46 PM

1 posts, read 769 times
Default Annoyed

hello.

I found this to be very helpful. I am becoming so annoyed with this whole lottery thing I have been a apply for apartments since 2016 and haven't heard a thing from anyone. I check the site everyday all I see my status change from tenant selection in progress or lottery pending. or lease up completed. I need someone to call me back or let me know something I try to apply for them as soon and the start date however I do notice that this doesn't make a difference as it is a lottery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcordero1423 View Post
Ok. So i wanted to start a post and gain two things from it 1. inform new lottery winners of the process and 2. Get information from lottery winners who moved in and their advice.
I recently won a housing lottery for the mother arnetta crawford apartments in the bronx @ 1500 Hoe Avenue. I submitted my application and here is the timeline so far:
1-Submit application (nov 2014)applications ended Jan 2015
2.Received letter for interview (April 29 2015) (4 months later)
3.Went to interview and submitted documents (May 14,2015) (2 weeks later)
4.Now im just waiting........ in limbo lol I called and i was told that interviews were done and that as of 5/26 they were beginning to review files.

This is how the interview went:
submitted: Paystubs, employer letter, bank statements, birth certificates, socials, school letter(for my children), landlord letter, tax transcript(you can submit tax forms but that was too many pages)
everything looked good, i didnt have to return anything, if i did, i had 10 days to do so and a fax number to send it to. NOTE: applications are approved as first come first serve, so if your file is in order, then your file we be sent out first. whoever dropped the ball before you risks losing their spot, then either getting denied or being told their on the waiting list. No credit check fee was asked for(which was odd) and i filled out a bunch of pre-leasing documents like the do's and don'ts, authorization forms, etc.

The man interviewing me said anywhere from 3-4 weeks, the office said 4-6 weeks . I should hear back with a decision in the middle of June sometime, hopefully its good news. Now, for those of you going threw the process, here is what happens behind the scenes.

1.all applications are pulled randomly and given a log number. So if your log number is 6, you were the 6th name to be pulled. if your log number is 23,000, then you were the 23,000th person to be pulled from the bag.This means nothing. I was 10,141 with Nycha preference, and i got an interview. im assuming because their income limits are rather high and i need a 3 bedroom, maybe they didnt have enough potential candidates....maybe thats how i got lucky, cause i never got an interview.
2.The names of the people living with you are written down in a log book, generally they only try to get 50x the amount of apartments available, so if they had 66 low income apartments, they would select 50X66 applications. Depending if they need more people to fill the preferences, or income guidelines, they will start disqualifying and pulling more names from the bag.
3.Once that is done, they start screening for potential qualified applicants. DO NOTE:if you put down your income on the application on the housingconnnect website, you wont risk being placed on the bottom of the list for lack of income info. they will still consider you, but without an income, you will be placed in the bottom, so try to submit as much info as you feel comfortable with.
4.Next, they start sorting by preferences. Community Board, Disability, city employee, Nycha preference....etc.
5.They will start reaching out to people to come in for interviews based on their needs and to verifiy that you still are eligible.(this is where it gets to the disqualifying part...ppl miss their appts, dont qualify any more, dont respond, lied on their app...who knows...but the list starts getting chopped down)
6.You submit your documents, everything looks good. Managment says everything in your file is good and ready to be sent out to HDC or HPD because heres the thing...EVERYTHING they asked for is for a reason. HDC needs everything to be good. All ducks must be in a row and you MUST fall within the income guidelines and be eligible or the city will deny them, thus, denying you. Managment wants you to be eligible as much as you do so that they can start renting out immediately and get this whole tenant selection headache over and done with, so everything must line up perfectly. DONT BE SCARED IF THEY TELL YOU, YOUR FILE WAS SENT TO THE CITY FOR APPROVAL. This is basically just a second look, a second pair of eyes to verify what managment has already proved...that you are eligible. consider yourself basically in once this is done.
7.Once you file is sent to hpd, if everything looks good like they claim, turn around time is 3-5 business days. The person reviewing your file at the city is Alex Medina HDC.He will tell them the file looks good, thus they call or send you a letter with the good news, you come in, look at your apartment and sign your lease.

So there you have it...if you have any more questions, or want to share anything more on this whole lottery process, I would appreciate the feedback. Good Luck to all.

Old 12-16-2018, 04:30 PM

3 posts, read 152 times
When your file have been sent out to HPD, how long should I get a call back? How long to see the apartment? How long to pay first rent?

Old 01-06-2019, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 60 times
Default Can you go back to school?

Any one know what would happen if I decided to go back to school full time AFTER having been approved and moved in to a housing lottery apartment? I had my interview last week and submitted all my documents with log #381 for a new building with 218 available units. I am employed full time and have been for 2 years since graduating undergrad but plan to eventually go back for my masters. Anyone have thoughts on this? I know you have to recertify your income every year and I've heard you can't be evicted even if you have a higher or lower income so long as the rent is being paid and there aren't other reasons to evict. Does anyone know about this student is due for in the future?
Thanks!

Old 01-06-2019, 02:15 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,787,880 times
You have to read your lease and see if recertification is required. Some programs require it, but most don't. If your lease does not say you need to recertify, then you don't. And if your landlord requests it anyway, fight back.

Also, if you say you'll eventually go back for your master's, then you will have seen by then if you need to recertify.

Old Today, 06:28 PM

3 posts, read 152 times
I have signed the prelease and affidavit but not have been approved or seen an apartment....itís running 6 weeks since my application was sent to hpd...how much longer is the process... I know everyone is different but umm man my anxiety and patience!!!!! Help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City