U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 08:46 PM

3,502 posts, read 1,795,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Another thing to remember is that many things that would affect the LL DO go up every year, like real estate taxes, heating oil, etc. And labor costs are always going up, so if the LL hires contractors or snow removal people, etc. then he/she will have to pay more every year to employ staff.

Also I know from stuff my coop has had to do that there are new things sometimes that the building (or LL) has to do to be in compliance with newly created NYC laws, like environmental laws.

I don't own a building but I can just imagine there are certain maintenance items that have to be constantly done in order to keep the building running and in good condition -- like roof repair, elevator maintenance, graffiti removal, brick pointing, security systems, gutters, etc. I am sure there are tons of things I don't even know about...and don't want to know.
Labor costs don't go up every year.
Does the landlord give his workers all a raise every year?
How do labor costs go up?

(I don't get a raise every year, I don't think most people do).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
because thats the way it works here. Landlording isnt for charity, its a business. LL doesnt have to do improvements every year.

rent goes up every year.
Rent doesn't go up in most cities and towns every year.

"That's the way it works here" because renters have accepted it.
We shouldn't accept it anymore.

My landlord tries to raise my rent every year, but I always bargain him down.
Sometimes I get him to accept the same rent from one year to the next.
Other years, when he tries to raise the rent $50 per month, I get him to accept a $25 per month increase instead.

I make it clear that I canNOT pay the (increased) rent he is requesting and will have to move if he won't lower it or keep it the same from one year to the next.

If all tenants did this, landlords wouldn't feel they could keep raising the rent.
Landlords don't want to have to find new tenants every year.
They'd rather have a stable tenant who always pays on time, stay in the apartment.
(At least my landlord does).

Try it!

Old 05-29-2015, 09:13 PM

10,612 posts, read 20,739,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Labor costs don't go up every year.
Does the landlord give his workers all a raise every year?
How do labor costs go up?

(I don't get a raise every year, I don't think most people do).
Well, I can't proclaim to know the budget of every building, but yes, our labor costs in our coop do go up every year because we pay our staff a cost of living wage increase every year.

But my point was that there can be costs that the LL sees on an annual basis that the tenant would know nothing about, because they weren't actually repairs or improvements to the specific unit the tenant is living in.

My building just had to spend some tens of thousands of dollars putting in a backflow prevention device required by the city. I believe every building in NYC had to do this, or maybe it's only buildings of a certain size or whatever. Again, just an example of costs to the LL that a tenant isn't going to know about.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:12 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 48,405,928 times
My landlord notified me in January of this year that the rent was going up on June 1st.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Well, I can't proclaim to know the budget of every building, but yes, our labor costs in our coop do go up every year because we pay our staff a cost of living wage increase every year.

But my point was that there can be costs that the LL sees on an annual basis that the tenant would know nothing about, because they weren't actually repairs or improvements to the specific unit the tenant is living in.

My building just had to spend some tens of thousands of dollars putting in a backflow prevention device required by the city. I believe every building in NYC had to do this, or maybe it's only buildings of a certain size or whatever. Again, just an example of costs to the LL that a tenant isn't going to know about.
That's fine.
But again, in most cities, towns, and countries, rent does not go up every year!
Why should it be any different in New York City?

Old 05-30-2015, 12:01 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 48,405,928 times
Quote:
That's fine.
But again, in most cities, towns, and countries, rent does not go up every year!
That's true because my rent stayed the same from 2007 to 2012.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:43 PM

5,682 posts, read 5,158,578 times
Quote:
That's fine.
Because NYC is one of the most expensive cities to live in.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:48 AM

147 posts, read 135,763 times
Quote:
That's fine.
You answered your own question, because this is New York City.

Rent are suppose to go up when the market determines it.. otherwise landlords wouldn't be raising them. I know someone who own a place around Stillwell ave in Brooklyn, the rent on her unit almost never go up, for obvious reason.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:49 AM

147 posts, read 135,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acceptyourself View Post
Lease ends August 1st.

When will I know how much my rent is going up?
I'm going to assume your landlord going to give you 30 days notice, when I was on a month to month, my landlord gave me 30 days when he wanted to raise my rent.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:31 AM

1,978 posts, read 1,236,566 times
It has to do with leverage in the negotiate. The vacancy rate in NYC is ridiculously low and real estate cartel charges a premium for moving into a new apartment (usually one month's rent). It is expensive to move to a new place every year. If the landlord likes you and thinks they can't find someone as good to take care of their apartment they will negotiate less and compromise more on not increasing the rent to keep you around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or