U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 03:26 PM

544 posts, read 1,317,795 times

Advertisements

What are your ideas to give as gifts when you travel to foreign countries? Either as someone from NYC or from America, or even from the Western world. Those miniature statue of liberty, empire state building etc. sold in gift shops are both boring and overpriced (and many breakable). I'm talking about giving to more than a few people, so mainly symbolic and can't be too expensive. Preferably practical, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 03:34 PM

30,426 posts, read 31,333,634 times
T-shirts!

Old 05-28-2015, 10:11 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,550,109 times
Could it be food? I think food gifts - often they're packaged really nicely, can be great gifts.

Or how about a book? Maybe a little gift book that won't be too heavy for you to carry.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:15 PM

996 posts, read 951,793 times
For adults, I like to buy very small plastic jugs of real maple syrup from an upstate NY farm- from trees, not cornsyrup. They make nice hospitality "thank you" gifts when I travel away from the Northeast. But it gets pricey.

It's a product from this climate, tastes great, and has a pretty picture of a New York forest. My suitcase gets lighter as the trip continues, and I can fill it back up with a few souvenirs.

When I got to one hot country, the customs agent asked me, "Why did you bring maple syrup here? Our country has the best maple syrup. Er, what IS maple syrup?"

If there are teens, I bring music CD's if I know what kind of music they prefer. For adults, I bring whatever's current on Broadway. These are small and lightweight.

Baseball caps are ok if you can pack so they don't crush. For a cook's kitchen, dishtowels or potholders screenprinted with something about NYC, or clever kitchen gadgets, are practical and lightweight.

I agree with Chava61: T-shirts are great gifts. My relatives wanted them with NY subway map all over it.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 05-28-2015 at 11:43 PM..

Old 05-29-2015, 06:49 AM

30,426 posts, read 31,333,634 times
As mentioned by Cida a coffee table of NYC is a good idea but it would be heavy to carry. Also BrightRabbit's baseball caps idea is a good one as well as long they don't get crushed in one's luggage.

Another idea might be to get some prints (pictures) of NYC from one of the museum shops around the city.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:51 AM

Are there still Times Square sidewalk artists who paint up a person's first name onto paper, and sell it in a mat, ready to frame?

Years ago, I had one made in Times Square for an out-of-town niece with an unusual first name, so she could never find commercial products with her own name (keychains etc). She loved it at age 7. At age 17, it was still hanging on her wall. That it came from Times Square also pleased her family.

I bought it matted, then wrapped it in clothing to travel safely. It's lightweight. I think her parents framed it after they received it.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Another idea might be to get some prints (pictures) of NYC from one of the museum shops around the city.
Try to buy them rolled into cardboard tubes for easy suitcase travel.

Museum shops also sell beautifully designed poster ads for their special exhibitions, and reproductions of art masterpieces, if you know their taste in art. Again, cardboard tubes are easy.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:45 PM

544 posts, read 1,317,795 times
Thanks for so many ideas. Lightweight and small size are a must. Books are interesting suggestion--for foreigners that don't speak English, maybe an interesting dictionary to help them learn English?

Old 05-29-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny123 View Post
Books are interesting suggestion--for foreigners that don't speak English, maybe an interesting dictionary to help them learn English?
Sure, but dictionaries are available on the internet now.

Instead, browse a big bookstore, go to section for "Graphic Novels" These have a layout like a comic book, a story with speech bubbles...but some are seriously good adult literature and great illustrations. Some are for young adults/teens, also. A reader can follow the story through the pictures, then read the words; they make more sense. Just be sure you read the first 3 or 4 pages and like the story start, then flip all the pages quickly for appropriateness to the person you're giving it to. Some are fairly violent, others not.

Or, look in the children's section for something like "My First 1,000 Words Picture Dictionary" which shows scenes in a home or neighborhood, full of familiar home objects and a name for each one. You're only looking at nouns, but it's high-interest anyway.

There are also travel phrase books in many foriegn languages to English, "Where is the train station?" etc. but unless you're travelling around it's not so helpful.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:03 PM

10,665 posts, read 20,825,780 times
The MTA Transit Museum has a store with a lot of gift options.
New York Transit Museum Store | NYC Subway & Train Art Gifts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or