U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 06:07 AM

9,940 posts, read 7,702,682 times

Advertisements

Take the AirTrain to Howard Beach to the A train to Fulton st station in Lower Manhattan. Takes approx an hour and fifteen minutes.

Walk up Broadway to Madison Square Park than up 5th Ave to 53rd st. Takes approx an hour and twenty minutes at a brisk pace (4 miles).

Take E train to Jamaica to the AirTrain back to JFK. Takes approx an hour.

Allocate the other 4+ hours for stopping for quick snacks, etc... Also for someone that is not familiar with the city expect not to move as quickly as a NY, and you will probably waste additional time just trying to get your bearings straight. Have all your expected coordinates stored on your smartphone beforehand. Be cautious on the A train if taking after midnight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 05:58 PM

620 posts, read 913,976 times
Here is what I learned:

The public transportation here sucks. Bart is a thousand times better. It is very confusing and getting around is just difficult. It's difficult to find information. The city is very dirty. And ghetto. The whole ride from the airport to Jamaica station, Howard Beach, the A train, 16th train. Even worse than Oakland. The women are damn hot. I don't like black women but I even found most of them attractive. NYC takes the crown here. It was amazing. The city is also amazingly diverse. Most of the people are not even US born lol. Times Square was a but overrated. But I can see it being a million times better at night. NYC is the ideal city to grab a beer and walk around in lol. Also I liked the rain today. Bottom line, I could never live here it's too hectic. The services in the city I don't think keep up with its size. Europeans and even San Franciscans probably laught at some aspects of NYC.

Oh, and:

Sorry my iPad sucks I can't embed it.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:22 PM

539 posts, read 377,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaDave View Post
Here is what I learned:

The public transportation here sucks. Bart is a thousand times better. It is very confusing and getting around is just difficult. It's difficult to find information. The city is very dirty. And ghetto. The whole ride from the airport to Jamaica station, Howard Beach, the A train, 16th train. Even worse than Oakland. The women are damn hot. I don't like black women but I even found most of them attractive. NYC takes the crown here. It was amazing. The city is also amazingly diverse. Most of the people are not even US born lol. Times Square was a but overrated. But I can see it being a million times better at night. NYC is the ideal city to grab a beer and walk around in lol. Also I liked the rain today. Bottom line, I could never live here it's too hectic. The services in the city I don't think keep up with its size. Europeans and even San Franciscans probably laught at some aspects of NYC.

Oh, and:

Sorry my iPad sucks I can't embed it.
BART cannot compare to NYC's Subway system. I've never ridden BART so I cannot talk about how clean it is, but I do know that it is not nearly as extensive as NYC's. The only thing it has on NYC's is the trip to and from the airport. Inside each city NYC's ****s on Bart.

And I do agree NYC is pretty dirty but thats part of the charm

Old 05-31-2015, 08:01 PM

9,940 posts, read 7,702,682 times
San Francisco is a small town. Of course the public transit will be faster. You're barely even going anywhere. You did look at the NYC subway map while here, right? You can't overlook how much more service it provides that the BART.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:02 PM

10,622 posts, read 20,755,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
San Francisco is a small town. Of course the public transit will be faster. You're barely even going anywhere. You did look at the NYC subway map while here, right? You can't overlook how much more service it provides that the BART.
It's also a lot more expensive than the MTA. I just plugged in a sample RT ride from Fremont to Richmond and it's $10.30 That adds up fast if you're doing that every day. In NY that same ride would be half the price.

So besides being extremely small in scope compared to the MTA, and more expensive, it was also not built til the 1970s. It is a significantly cleaner and more orderly than NY's system but there are clear and obvious reasons for that.

Sorry to the OP for the thread hijacking.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:54 AM

20,158 posts, read 26,453,489 times
I repeat:
Go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
When it is time to get back to the airport, leave.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:20 AM

966 posts, read 943,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaDave View Post
Here is what I learned:

Here is what I learned:
  • You're comparison of BART and NYC transit is apples and oranges or, at best, different types of apples. Other posters have plowed this earth already.
  • You don't seem to understand that the look & feel of East coast cities is different from West coast. "dirty" and "ghetto" are so vague as to be meaningless, but imply you don't like gritty, older cities. Your preference, of course, but don't disparage.
  • I'm so glad you like even the black women So I learned you're not reluctant to make race-based generalizations in public.
  • I learned your spelling is not up to speed and that you have trouble expressing a thought ("probably laught at some aspects"???)

Enjoy the Bay Area!

Old 06-01-2015, 04:33 PM

278 posts, read 602,768 times
I would take a tour of the city- Grey's red bus.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:17 PM

620 posts, read 913,976 times
Here are the pics I meant to embed

image.jpg1_zpshomy3rxf.jpg Photo by Tjfordcuz | Photobucket

image.jpg2_zps7hzxplsw.jpg Photo by Tjfordcuz | Photobucket
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or