Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 09:56 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,592,659 times

Advertisements

I am with the OP.

Perhaps many of the other responders are not familiar with the southern Brooklyn (i.e., Bensonhurst) rental market.

Bensonhurst is about an hour from Manhattan.
There are not thousands of people jumping to rent every Bensonhurst apartment.

Often rent-stabilized rents are the same prices as "market" rents. (yes, really).
Simply put, in the outer boroughs, like Bensonhurst, you can rent a small unrenovated apartment for a little over $1000 (like maybe $1200 or $1300) no problem. That may be the rent-stabilized rent but it is also the market rent!

I am totally serious.

If one is young and single and has family to fall back on (move back in with Mom and Dad if necessary if worst comes to worst and the landlord "kicks you out"), then why not?

It keeps your options open to not sign a lease (you are efffective a month-to-month tenant, but if you are responsible, quiet, and pay your rent on time I bet your landlord won't want to rock the boat).

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 10:36 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,033,538 times
Quote:

Often rent-stabilized rents are the same prices as "market" rents. (yes,
really).
I am tired of reading this.
Yes, that's what landlords SAY, but is it true?
And then when you have DHCR stonewalling on real rents, how do you get the truth. "We don't have any record beyond 2004"...horse****.

I think that nearly all landlords who claim RS rents are higher than they are charging are LYING THROUGH THEIR TEETH...with the complicity of bribed government workers.

I mean really, when you see 2 bedroom apartments in the West Village going for $700, can we believe some tedious walkup in the hinterlands of Brooklyn is RS's at $2900. At some point common sense HAS to take hold.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:51 AM

5,204 posts, read 4,664,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
And then when you have DHCR stonewalling on real rents, how do you get the truth. "We don't have any record beyond 2004"...horse****.

I think that nearly all landlords who claim RS rents are higher than they are charging are LYING THROUGH THEIR TEETH...with the complicity of bribed government workers.

I mean really, when you see 2 bedroom apartments in the West Village going for $700, can we believe some tedious walkup in the hinterlands of Brooklyn is RS's at $2900. At some point common sense HAS to take hold.
I think there are definitely cases when this can be true. My landlord chose not to raise the rent on my RS unit 3 lease renewals in a row because I'm sure he did his research and saw the market rate was the same. I'm sure he didn't do this out of sheer generosity.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:58 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,592,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

Again, Bensonhurst is in the outer boroughs.
We are not talking about Manhattan here.

In the outer boroughs it can definitely be true.

In 2007 I moved into a non-rent stabilized large one bedroom apartment in southern Brooklyn (Midwood).
It was $950/month.

However, it didn't matter whether it was rent-stabilized or non-rent stabilized.
Some "rent-stabilized" apartments in the neighborhood might have been more than $950.

But the landlord knew he couldn't get more than $950 for this apartment. $950 was truly the "market rent".
(For the record, today, in 2015, I pay $1100/month for the same apartment. Still not rent-stabilized.)

Old 06-04-2015, 03:22 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,525,636 times
Yes Bensonhurst is in the outer boroughs- it's in Brooklyn as we all know. Apartment rentals in Brooklyn are getting more and more expensive because people are being priced out of Manhattan. As long as parts of Brooklyn become Manhattan-like (with coffee shops, cafes etc), people are more willing to live an hour out of Manhattan. What you say may hold true until the area becomes gentrified or more people discover how cheap (in comparison to other areas) it is to live there.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:03 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,637,165 times
Are you kidding? You ignored your renewal? I don't know who is more dense, you or your landlord. You're lucky he hasn't booted you out already. Do you not understand how many people would kill for a stabilized apartment?

Old 06-05-2015, 11:21 AM

7 posts, read 5,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Are you kidding? You ignored your renewal? I don't know who is more dense, you or your landlord. You're lucky he hasn't booted you out already. Do you not understand how many people would kill for a stabilized apartment?

Sorry I did not, still do not, however I am doing research about it. Thanks for your response.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I am with the OP.

Perhaps many of the other responders are not familiar with the southern Brooklyn (i.e., Bensonhurst) rental market.

Bensonhurst is about an hour from Manhattan.
There are not thousands of people jumping to rent every Bensonhurst apartment.

Often rent-stabilized rents are the same prices as "market" rents. (yes, really).
Simply put, in the outer boroughs, like Bensonhurst, you can rent a small unrenovated apartment for a little over $1000 (like maybe $1200 or $1300) no problem. That may be the rent-stabilized rent but it is also the market rent!

I am totally serious.

If one is young and single and has family to fall back on (move back in with Mom and Dad if necessary if worst comes to worst and the landlord "kicks you out"), then why not?

It keeps your options open to not sign a lease (you are efffective a month-to-month tenant, but if you are responsible, quiet, and pay your rent on time I bet your landlord won't want to rock the boat).

Good luck!
Thank you Shoshanarose - You decided to view my situation from another perspective .

I understand it's difficult for others without knowing more or full details in my case (details or more info, which I did not provide). You hit it very close.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:30 AM

Thank you all, I like this forum

And yes, because I live in a RE apartment, it does not mean my rent is cheap, it's cheaper compared to Williamsburg or Manhattan, however I do pay market place rates.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Yes Bensonhurst is in the outer boroughs- it's in Brooklyn as we all know. Apartment rentals in Brooklyn are getting more and more expensive because people are being priced out of Manhattan. As long as parts of Brooklyn become Manhattan-like (with coffee shops, cafes etc), people are more willing to live an hour out of Manhattan. What you say may hold true until the area becomes gentrified or more people discover how cheap (in comparison to other areas) it is to live there.
I agree with you as well, Brooklyn is getting more and more expensive and I believe that eventually there won't be cheap apartments in a few years , because more and more people want to live in NY, others are being forced to more out of nyc, etc, etc , therefore apartments will continue to raise and that's when a RE apartment comes in handy.

If I had decided to stay where I am now for the long run (many, several years), I think it'd be no brainier to hold onto a RE apt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: