U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2015, 07:55 AM

929 posts, read 1,231,462 times

Advertisements

The same could've been said for Knicks fans pre-2012.

I'm in Brooklyn every day and I never see anyone wearing Knicks merchandise, but Nets stuff is everywhere.

"Rangertown" is dead. As of this year, New York City has two teams, and the closest team to most of Staten Island plays in Newark.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 11:12 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,693,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
Rags are a (sh*tty) Manhattan team that's won one cup in 75 years.

Outer-borough kids won't like the Blueskirts when they're given a viable alternative.
Yea because when the Devils were good everyone this side of Manhattan jumped on the Devils bandwagon. Dude you are delusional! At the peak of the Devils being a good Championship team they couldn't sell out the Medowlands while the Rangers who were TERRIBLE sold out the building every night. There are more Ranger Fans in central and North Jersey than Devil fans, all of South Jersey are Flyer fans.

The Islanders will get a few hipsters to follow them in the Brooklyn area and, the Islanders should be good for 7 to 10 years and will have there run but they will NEVER over throw the Rangers as king of the hill, whether the Rangers are good or bad.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:17 PM

Quote:
The same could've been said for Knicks fans pre-2012.

I'm in Brooklyn every day and I never see anyone wearing Knicks merchandise, but Nets stuff is everywhere.

"Rangertown" is dead. As of this year, New York City has two teams, and the closest team to most of Staten Island plays in Newark.

If everywhere is Atlantic ave and Flatbush ave extension then yea. I'm all over this city and Brooklyn on a daily basis and I see more Jordan Chicago bulls throw back jerseys in Brooklyn than Net gear.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
If everywhere is Atlantic ave and Flatbush ave extension then yea. I'm all over this city and Brooklyn on a daily basis and I see more Jordan Chicago bulls throw back jerseys in Brooklyn than Net gear.
Go to Coney Island. Go to Canarsie. Go to Sheepshead Bay. Go to Bay Ridge. Go to Bensonhurst. Far from Atlantic and Flatbush.

I was in Bensonhurst today. Saw a half-dozen Nets hats, nothing Knicks.

Probably helps that I take public transportation, so I see more people than someone in a car would.

So what if people wear Jordan throwbacks? People will wear them in 20 years, and they wear them all over the world. Nobody wears Melo jerseys in Brooklyn. And he was born there. Go to the Nets Store in Coney Island. It's mobbed all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
Yea because when the Devils were good everyone this side of Manhattan jumped on the Devils bandwagon.
The Izod Center was a dump, and there's little public transportation to East Rutherford. When the Devils and Nets moved to Newark, Devils attendance improved a ton. The Nets attendance dropped, because they had a 12-70 season and were the worst team in the NBA.

Mark my words. Bookmark it if you want. Within 5 years, Islanders gear will be seen all over Brooklyn. What happens in Staten Island is more of a question.

Old 06-06-2015, 05:31 AM

16 posts, read 13,260 times
The Islanders will never be the most popular team in NY. The Rangers have a huge fan base and have way more casual fans. The Islanders also have been catering to the Long Island fans for the past 43 years, in an arena with no public transportation. The Isles popularity will grow, especially if they market the Brooklyn brand the way the Nets have.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2ndcoming View Post
The Islanders will never be the most popular team in NY. The Rangers have a huge fan base and have way more casual fans. The Islanders also have been catering to the Long Island fans for the past 43 years, in an arena with no public transportation. The Isles popularity will grow, especially if they market the Brooklyn brand the way the Nets have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nets Daily
Brett Yormark had six long years to "transition" the Nets from New Jersey to Brooklyn, longer than he and everyone else associated with the team wanted. It was difficult but it taught him and his team lessons that are now being transferred to the Islanders' move from Long Island to Brooklyn.

In an interview with Metro, Yormark talks about how the Nets marketing and business culture has value for the Isles.

"My goal is that if Islanders fans love the Islanders on Long Island, or like them, rather, they’re going to love them here because we’re going to bring the best of what they’re getting there, here," Yormark said. "And when they get here, they’re going to see this. No different than what we said in New Jersey coming to Brooklyn. It’s an exciting time for everyone."

The Nets/Barclays Center team took over the Islanders business operations a couple of months back. So far, so good. Helped by a playoff appearance last season, the Islanders have sold 3,000 more season tickets this summer and seen 87 percent of last year's season ticket holders renew, despite the team's lame duck status.

The team opened its training camp on the Brooklyn ice and announced a number of things, including the design for the new locker room and plans for an Islander Team Store inside the arena. On Saturday, the Islanders will host the Devils in an exhibition game at Barclays. From what Yormark says, the ticket sales show that Brooklyn is embracing the Islanders. He tells Newsday that 25 percent of the 11,000 fans who bought tickets are from Brooklyn; 32 percent from Nassau and Suffolk.

There's another phenomenon at work, too. Anecdotal evidence suggests Nets fans are becoming Islander fans and vice versa.
The Nets marketing staff is also the Islanders marketing staff. So, yeah.

Old 06-06-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Go to Coney Island. Go to Canarsie. Go to Sheepshead Bay. Go to Bay Ridge. Go to Bensonhurst. Far from Atlantic and Flatbush.

I was in Bensonhurst today. Saw a half-dozen Nets hats, nothing Knicks.

Probably helps that I take public transportation, so I see more people than someone in a car would.

So what if people wear Jordan throwbacks? People will wear them in 20 years, and they wear them all over the world. Nobody wears Melo jerseys in Brooklyn. And he was born there. Go to the Nets Store in Coney Island. It's mobbed all day.

The Izod Center was a dump, and there's little public transportation to East Rutherford. When the Devils and Nets moved to Newark, Devils attendance improved a ton. The Nets attendance dropped, because they had a 12-70 season and were the worst team in the NBA.

Mark my words. Bookmark it if you want. Within 5 years, Islanders gear will be seen all over Brooklyn. What happens in Staten Island is more of a question.
I saw an increase of Islander jerseys this year on Staten Island. I sawmaybe half a dozen people wearing Isles gear. Of all the people I saw only one had an old, old jersey and that was the fisherman jersey.

All the years the Islanders were terrible I never saw to many people wearing anything Islanders Hockey related out side of game day at MSG or Nassau. When the Rangers were bad people still wore their Rangers gear year round.

The Islanders will get a few new fans here and there but they will never be more popular than the Rangers. It's a NYR town, always has always will be. The Rangers fan base reaches into central Connecticut, North and central NJ and as far south as Atlanta, South Carolina and Florida. We own the east coast OWN IT! The Islanders and Devils can have the Ghetto hoods they currently occupy. The Rangers didn't want to be associated with those types anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or