U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 02:43 PM

929 posts, read 1,235,821 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Staten Island, and dear God are there a lot of Ranger fans. I suspect it's because it's an upper-middle-class/wealthy white area.

Hockey's fine. It's the Ranger thing that needs to go. See, the Islanders are moving to Brooklyn shortly, and the Devils play in Newark. Both of which are closer, unless you live by the Ferry... and the people who live between the Bayonne Bridge and the Ferry are probably the last people on the island who are likely to be big time hockey fans, since hockey is an expensive sport to play, and doesn't cater to minorities. Basically, the opposite of basketball.

From the Staten Island Mall in Mid-Island, you can be at the Prudential Center in less than a half an hour. It's a 15 mile drive. Compare with having to take public transportation to get to MSG, which takes hours. Yet Lids' "Locker Room" jersey store in the mall doesn't sell any Devils merchandise, because they are a New Jersey team (15 miles away) and Staten Island is NY.

Since the Islanders were until a few weeks ago a Long Island team and the Devils were an East Rutherford team until a few years ago, the relocations are recent occurrences. That being said, in a generation or so, I can't see Staten Island being devout Rangers territory. I think it'll be pretty evenly split between the three.

Thoughts from SI residents or hockey fans from the NY metro?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 05:36 PM

102 posts, read 102,607 times
I'm not sure how much things will change. I suspect the Islanders will pick up a few fans in SI, and a great deal more in Brooklyn, but there is also family tradition that plays into identification. If your family raises you to be a Rangers fan, the likelihood is you'll be a Rangers fan.

The state borders thing is different all over the country. Sometimes areas are fans of the closest team, and other times fans of those within their own state, despite being closer to an out of state team.

Some examples:

I lived in western Wisconsin where the Twin Cities were about 90 miles away. Green Bay almost 200. But Vikings fans were few in number. It was Packer country all the way. But no one really cared for any of the Milwaukee teams in other sports.

I also lived in St. Louis. Central and Southern Illinois were overwhelmingly St. Louis Cardinals fans, and not Cubs or White Sox.

Southwestern Jersey is full of Flyers fans, but not Devils. They'll also probably be a lot more likely in that area to support the Phillies over Yankees/Mets, Eagles over Giants/Jets, and 76ers over Knicks/Nets.

Generally, I think there are trends to sports fandom. Most of the time people are fans of the teams located in the place where they orientate economically and culturally. SI definitely orientates itself to NYC and not New Jersey.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:09 AM

I'm not saying SI will become heavily Devil-supportive, though it should be, geographically. The Outerbridge and Goethels are especially close to Newark... but I think the Islanders will pull at least 30% of the hockey fans within the next 20 years. Maybe even more than half.

I've already seen the Nets make huge inroads in Brooklyn and Staten Island, when there weren't any Nets fans before. The Islanders have a much brighter future than the Devils or Rangers do.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:59 AM

16 posts, read 13,324 times
I mean if youre from SI youre technically an Islander (A Staten Islander).

Old 05-31-2015, 07:07 AM

4,796 posts, read 4,683,087 times
I'm in Brooklyn and an Islanders fan. We went to some games this past season but when we went to the hockey bar in the neighborhood, there were mostly Ranger fans in attendance so it's not just SI. The bars were absolutely packed to capacity for their games vs. Tampa Bay. You know there are always more fans during the playoffs.

I think they (the Islanders) will pick up some fans but it will take awhile to probably garner a decent number of fans in the surrounding boroughs. They played well this year but haven't been to hot other years. The Islanders looked fantastic the first half of the season and I thought once Okposo came back they'd pick up from their slump but no. Maybe next year.

I don't know that the Devils will ever have a real following---well people will pretend to be interested if they become hot but other than that, no.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:40 AM

The Devils have been awful since Parise left and I still see a lot of people wearing their merchandise when I go to Central NJ, which isn't even their main fanbase (Northern NJ is).

To their credit, Burlington Coat Factory on the West Shore sells Devils merchandise. Still think it's dumb that the jersey store in the SI mall doesn't.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:24 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,697,680 times
OP you are delusional! NYC is Rangertown. PERIOD! END OF STORY. I go to the Rock to watch the Rangers chisel away at it until it crumbles! The Islanders are decent now so they will have a following as long as they remain competeive but once they fall off the Barclays center will be deader than dead within 3 years and the Islanders will be looking to move shortly thereafter.

LGR! NYR!

NYR!

Old 06-01-2015, 08:48 PM

243 posts, read 1,178,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
OP you are delusional! NYC is Rangertown. PERIOD! END OF STORY. I go to the Rock to watch the Rangers chisel away at it until it crumbles! The Islanders are decent now so they will have a following as long as they remain competeive but once they fall off the Barclays center will be deader than dead within 3 years and the Islanders will be looking to move shortly thereafter.

LGR! NYR!

NYR!
... you got a rep point.

LGR!

Old 06-02-2015, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post

LGR! NYR!

NYR!
Rags are a (sh*tty) Manhattan team that's won one cup in 75 years.

Outer-borough kids won't like the Blueskirts when they're given a viable alternative.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:11 AM

243 posts, read 1,178,217 times
The Rangers season ending was bad this year. It sucks , but the season is over and it is what it is. When you play not to lose instead of playing to win , that's what happens... This was their year to do it. I don't know if they're going to get back to the conference finals next year , and it's probably going to be a while before another cup. You can't win on goaltending alone. You have to score goals. They have the ability to do it. They were coached not to go out and compete and score , but rather to play these war of attrition 2-1 , 3-2 defense and goaltending battles. I like their coach , and don't know if anyone better is out there. He will be back next season. I lay their playoff exit at his feet tho. He should have let them attack and play to win. He didn't. Had the Rangers beat TB 1-0 or 2-1 in game 7 , he would look like a genius. They didn't. He takes the blame IMHO.

That said ... nobody in NYC gives a sh*t about the NJ Devils. The Islanders are not going to pick up many new fans moving to Brooklyn. They will keep their old fans who will trek in from LI to see them in a new building.

Possibly 5% of Rangers fans , MAX , will go over to the Islanders. If that.

NYC hockey fans are and always will be overwhelmingly Rangers fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or