U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 04:38 PM

473 posts, read 1,162,161 times

Advertisements

Last night i was heading home after hanging out downtown. It was around 1am --- I was on the 2 and i was in the very first car since everything else was crowded.There were some teenage girls on (as usual) with their teenage girl routines -Then all of a sudden a group of like 10 kids walked in. they could not be anymore than 12-14years old.
They started talking to the girls and such and all of a sudden one of the girls starts screamign. They had snatched her sidekick and she was trying to get it back. The girl was trying to fight the guys but her friends were holding her back (rightfully so)
This happened between the 174 and the west farms stop on the 2 train. The conductor actually came out because there was so much chaos, but there wasn't much he could do. the kids had already left and the girl was furious

Her friends did the right thing by holding her back because you know those little punks would have hit and hurt her.The thing is this though - this girl had her sidekick hanging from her jeans ON THE 2 TRAIN after midnight.If that is not asking for it - I don't knwo what is. Also, the girl and her friends (3-4) of them didn't try to leave when those kids started surrounding them.
I guess they liked the attention, until they decided to take her sidekick
The thing is, these kids are now going back to brag to their friends about how they stuck someone up. One thing for sure is these kids
are going to end up in the system if they are not already.

I guess this proves that the front cars are not neccessarily always safe or any safer than the cars in the back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 04:44 PM

10,292 posts, read 18,593,986 times
i think the 2/5 train late night in bronx are the worst to ride.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:53 PM

2,978 posts, read 1,015,602 times
I dont like the 2/5 train EVER.....everytime I am on that train it is very depressing...it is just full of the hard luck cases/derelicts of the city. I now take the 6 to 125 to avoid the 2/5 "experience."

Regarding your posting though, I am not surpirsed....its dumb kids doing the same dumb things they have been doing since the dawn of time. What exactly were kids at that age doing on the streets/trains at 1 am anyway? Scary to think what is (or what isn't) going on at home. But again...there is no surprise here...

Old 01-20-2008, 06:20 PM

307 posts, read 1,039,020 times
a sidekick?????? Pssh everyone knows the iPhone is all the rage! It is good that the girls did not get hurt,

I have a question: Is there a curfew for minors in NYC??

Old 01-20-2008, 07:33 PM

11,566 posts, read 15,729,856 times
Awhile ago I posted something comparing the #1 train vs the #2 train experiences--that I would feel much more comfortable on the 1 going through Harlem and Wash Hts/Inwood than the 2 in the Bronx any day

Guy with a cause describes the 2 well and accurate

Curfew or not, nobody, especially kids, should be riding the 2(or 6 or 4) in the Bronx after midnight unless they have to

Old 01-20-2008, 07:50 PM

7,903 posts, read 13,804,256 times
I think a group of more than 4 or 5 kids is almost always trouble. With those kind of numbers there is bound to be more than a couple of knuckeheads in there.

Actually the 4 and 6 are pretty alright late at night on the weekends. They run slow and usually get fairly filled, so I don't feel that unsafe.

The 2 is more prone to weirdos for some reason.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:58 PM

11,566 posts, read 15,729,856 times
I remembered laughing at the packs of kids and their loud street talk on the 2 in the Bronx

and on the A in Washington Hts but

I always feel more comfortable on the trains anywhere in Manhattan than in the Bronx

Old 01-20-2008, 08:29 PM

11,151 posts, read 9,545,481 times
I teach at a school right off the 2 in the South Bronx, so I have the "pleasure" of riding that train every day. That, or taking a bus that requires me to disembark between two PJs and walk past a 1,800-student high school with crowds of rowdy teenagers congregating outside.

Fun, fun, fun!

Old 01-20-2008, 08:38 PM

473 posts, read 1,162,161 times
yeah it seems the 2 train has a very bad rep and there are stats to back it up. I used to ride the 4 when i lived in high bridge and never had any of the 2 train experiences. I have never had any problems except one day, one teenage kid decided to stick a camera in my face. I just switched cars because there was nothing but trouble in the making with that. He can keep a 2 second clip of my face that's fine if it makes him feel better.

Guywithacause - is the 6 train much better? I have not ridden the 6 much besides a few times enroute to parkchester. At least you have an option. I HAVE to take the 2/5 unless I use the 6 down to westchester square and take the bus home.

I felt bad for the girl though but, she was dumb for flashing her electronics like that. At least she didn't get hurt

Old 01-20-2008, 08:42 PM

2,978 posts, read 1,015,602 times
I find the 6 train to be infinitely better ANYTIME of day than the 2/5. It is cleaner, not NEARLY as crowded, and not full of kids...it's by far working adults the vast majority of the time. I typically always get a seat, people are quiet and respectful, and it is overall a very easy, pleasant ride downtown.

I am fortunate enough to have all 3 train lines by me. The 6 train versus the 2/5 is literally night and day. Take a ride sometime during rush hour, or anytime...there is a WORLD of difference...I love the 6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City