Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the Best County to live in outside NYC?
New Haven County, Connecticut 0 0%
Fairfield County, Connecticut 5 16.13%
Nassau County, New York 5 16.13%
Westchester County, New York 9 29.03%
Rockland County, New York 1 3.23%
Bergen County, New Jersey 3 9.68%
Hudson County, New Jersey 0 0%
Essex County, New Jersey 2 6.45%
Union County, New Jersey 2 6.45%
Middlesex County, New Jersey 0 0%
Other - Comment 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 01:58 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,868,057 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised Suffolk County wasn't listed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
anything has to be be better than NYC, we have ZERO quality of life here.
Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 02:02 PM

282 posts, read 348,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
anything has to be be better than NYC, we have ZERO quality of life here.
Oh shut up. This hyperbole is so ridiculous.

What does that even mean? In your personal opinion, you might think that, but I think the complete opposite of you so you're canceled out? My life was absolutely wonderful when I lived in NYC, and I have lived all over this country and the world.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:07 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,238,910 times
If we aren't taking price into account, I would say Westchester. Lots of nice areas, close to NYC, scenic, tons of quaint downtowns, not much sprawl, the Hudson, the Sound, the mountains, etc.

Other really nice areas (again, not taking price into account) would be coastal Fairfield County, CT, parts of Bergen and Essex Counties (places like Montclair and Livingston), and parts of Nassau County. Generally speaking, the inner suburbs have more wealth, but cost more. The outer suburbs have more new housing and are cheaper, but further from everything and usually not as nice.

Of course there are cheap inner suburbs (usually not very nice inner-city type towns) and expensive outer suburbs (Hamptons, parts of Coastal Connecticut, NJ hunt country, Tuxedo Park, NY), but generally speaking that's the rule.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
MOST of the population of those two counties reside in ghettoes. Like all counties, there will be good and bad...just in different proportions

Key Word= Most (NOT all).

Essex County Total Pop: 796k
Newark Pop: 278k
East Orange Pop: 64k
Irvington Pop: 61k
Orange (City)Pop: 33k

Total Population of Essex County living in the "ghetto": 436k/796k=55% (Most)

Source:
Essex County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
This is stupid. It isn't like 100% of these towns are "ghetto". They are four lower income towns, but half of Newark (the Ironbound and most of North Newark) is not "ghetto", and much of East Orange, Irvington and Orange are not "ghettto" though they have their ghetto parts.

Just because a place is working class and has immigrants or minorities does not mean it is totally "ghetto". Someplace like Irvington has tons of striving West Indians that are doing well for themselves, and are in nicer areas in one generation. Not everyplace can be "nice" or half the region would be homeless.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:21 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,497,336 times
Sadly, so many people living around this crowded tri-state region traveled very little outside of their county and NYC.

So many nice places that are unknown or underrated by most around. I can say for sure Central NJ is highly under-rated by most unfamiliar to the area.

We have Westfield, Clark,Edison, Scott Plains, Union, etc that will rival any town in the tri-state. There are more Whole Foods, Targets, and Shopping Malls around than any part of NJ, NY.

We also have a Wegman's for more than a decade, including couple of Trader Joes.

Central NJ also has very good schools in the region.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
We have Westfield, Clark,Edison, Scott Plains, Union, etc that will rival any town in the tri-state. There are more Whole Foods, Targets, and Shopping Malls around than any part of NJ, NY.
Westfield is very nice, and I agree it can match up with any suburb. The others are nice too, but not at that level.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:23 PM

9,096 posts, read 13,110,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Sadly, so many people living around this crowded tri-state region traveled very little outside of their county and NYC.

So many nice places that are unknown or underrated by most around. I can say for sure Central NJ is highly under-rated by most unfamiliar to the area.

We also have a Wegman's for more than a decade, including couple of Trader Joes.

Central NJ also has very good schools in the region.
Not to go off topic but I never considered most of the communities you listed to be "Central New Jersey". Especially the Union County ones, Union is actually mostly north of Staten Island and even parts of Brooklyn & Queens. When I think of Central New Jersey, I think of areas south of the Raritan River.

Plus I think it is Scotch Plains.

The point you made about the supermarkets is a good one. The more populated suburbs tend to have more stores and restaurants. That is an advantage of being in a more populated suburban area like parts of New Jersey and Long Island. The bad thing of course is that it is more crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City