Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 09:47 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,616,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I feel sorry for the property owner who has to put up with the self appointed neighborhood design cops who try to get in the property owner's business, when they have absolutely no right to.
I feel like the builder is a selfish POS with no regard for the neighbors, so we'll have to agree to disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 09:50 AM

5,434 posts, read 5,669,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I feel like the builder is a selfish POS with no regard for the neighbors, so we'll have to agree to disagree.
The only neighbors that are complaining are old people who don't give a f*** about anything but themselves. The rest of the people on that block are sitting tight watching their property value go up 50%, waiting for their house to get bought up, because of that so called "monstrosity". That thing raised land value for the whole block no doubt.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:52 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,040,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krs8808 View Post
Well, after they build up the block, it will be the norm, rather than the exception. But as the only monstrosity currently, its *ruined the visual cohesiveness* IMO
Its just the nature of the beast called progress. Lots of buildings around the city are being torn down. You ever seen those condos in Williamsburg casting shadows on those ugly row houses? Well i have. Though I haven't see a NYTimes article about how Williamsburg has been destroyed the past decade.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:54 AM

15,789 posts, read 14,399,805 times
Tell me how, in any objective quantifiable way, his house hurts any of his neighbors. Does his being big make any of there's smaller? Do they have any right to "neighorbood visual cohesiveness"?

Really, I think it's just jealousy. His nice new big house, makes their old crackerboxes look like crap, and they don't like it.

Quote:

Old 06-03-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Tell me how, in any objective quantifiable way, his house hurts any of his neighbors.
Look at the third photo in the article - a picture says a thousand words.

I'd post the photo if I could.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Look at the third photo in the article - a picture says a thousand words.

I'd post the photo if I could.
After seeing the photo, it makes me wish everyone else on the block tears down their ugly row houses. If everyone does that collectively they'd all have more expensive properties. But they may need a spare 500k in cash to do that.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
After seeing the photo, it makes me wish everyone else on the block tears down their ugly row houses. If everyone does that collectively they'd all have more expensive properties. But they may need a spare 500k in cash to do that.
Even if they had built a taller house within the original footprint, the impact on the neighbors wouldn't have been so bad.

It pretty much forces everyone to sell, or tear down and rebuild if they don't want to live in the dark. I'm sure that eventually all that will happen, but I'd be surprised if a whole street of modified Fedders would hold it's value long term. That type of construction don't seem to age well.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Even if they had built a taller house within the original footprint, the impact on the neighbors wouldn't have been so bad.

It pretty much forces everyone to sell, or tear down and rebuild if they don't want to live in the dark. I'm sure that eventually all that will happen, but I'd be surprised if a whole street of modified Fedders would hold it's value long term. That type of construction don't seem to age well.
I don't think the new home looks good either because its too plain. Though I've seen similar sized new construction that looks much nicer. Darker colored bricks would have helped. But to even think that any of the existing row houses are any better is rediculus.

I have similar row houses near me and wonder every time I pass by why they don't just tear them down. To me having a plain looking newly constructed home looks better than a group of ugly old row houses. I also wonder the same about the coops near me which are hideous and should be torn down and replaced with tudor homes. I guess I just need a NYTimes writer to share the same opinion as me to express their thoughts.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:48 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,873,246 times
I would think this story has more to do with Chinese version of gentrification in queens. If I was the property owners I would be thanking my lucky star that someone wants to spend over a million dollars to live in flushing ($600K+ to buy the property and $500K+ to build a new house). Seems rather rude to bad mouth someone after they overpaid for your property and plan to invest additional money into the neighborhood. Americans will have to get use to Chinese people no longer being poor, even though they do have questionable taste.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
I would think this story has more to do with Chinese version of gentrification in queens. If I was the property owners I would be thanking my lucky star that someone wants to spend over a million dollars to live in flushing ($600K+ to buy the property and $500K+ to build a new house). Seems rather rude to bad mouth someone after they overpaid for your property and plan to invest additional money into the neighborhood. Americans will have to get use to Chinese people no longer being poor, even though they do have questionable taste.
Sometimes I also don't get their thought process in choosing the design of the house. I've seen really nice homes built by Asians , though they still get negative comments online simply because theyre Asian and have money, as well as plain boxes like the one in the article. If I were rebuilding I for sure wouldn't just build a plain house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City