U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-09-2015, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Riverdale, NY
279 posts, read 420,056 times
Reputation: 156

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acceptyourself View Post
why enter a thread about NYC then?
Because you're misleading people. NYC can include the 5 boroughs. You're clearly talking about Manhattan and only select parts at that. You don't need $120,000 to live in Manhattan unless you must live in the most exclusive parts of Manhattan, and you certainly don't need $120,000 to live in the outerboroughs. There are too many of these threads scaring people into believing that they can't afford to live here and I wish people like yourself would stop with the exaggerations. I'm a NYer and have lived here my entire life. I'll agree that rents have shot up considerably, but plenty of people are doing just fine and don't make $120,000 a year. It all depends on what people's needs are. Shall I ask you what is the per capita income for NYC since everyone is earning $120,000+??

Additionally, what areas of NYC did you look at when coming to the conclusion that one needs $120,000 to live alone?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-09-2015, 02:53 PM
 
Location: West Harlem
6,885 posts, read 8,738,332 times
Reputation: 3034
Quote:
Originally Posted by on the avenue View Post
Because you're misleading people. NYC can include the 5 boroughs. You're clearly talking about Manhattan and only select parts at that. You don't need $120,000 to live in Manhattan unless you must live in the most exclusive parts of Manhattan, and you certainly don't need $120,000 to live in the outerboroughs. There are too many of these threads scaring people into believing that they can't afford to live here and I wish people like yourself would stop with the exaggerations. I'm a NYer and have lived here my entire life. I'll agree that rents have shot up considerably, but plenty of people are doing just fine and don't make $120,000 a year. It all depends on what people's needs are. Shall I ask you what is the per capita income for NYC since everyone is earning $120,000+??

Additionally, what areas of NYC did you look at when coming to the conclusion that one needs $120,000 to live alone?
The OP stated - "the most desirable parts of the city." A kind of euphemism for the usual "top" neighborhoods. And then used the usual set of criteria. Straightforward enough.

While I have no doubt that people are living in Manhattan with under $150,000 a year, I actually agree with the basic points. These days, that is to say. People think Harlem is inexpensive and even there they would be wrong.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2015, 03:02 PM
 
Location: Riverdale, NY
279 posts, read 420,056 times
Reputation: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
The OP stated - "the most desirable parts of the city." A kind of euphemism for the usual "top" neighborhoods. And then used the usual set of criteria. Straightforward enough.

While I have no doubt that people are living in Manhattan with under $150,000 a year, I actually agree with the basic points. These days, that is to say. People think Harlem is inexpensive and even there they would be wrong.
The title is misleading though. For the most desirable parts yes. I still would be interested in knowing where the OP looked in "NYC".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2015, 03:11 PM
 
1,998 posts, read 1,526,302 times
Reputation: 1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by on the avenue View Post
The title is misleading though. For the most desirable parts yes. I still would be interested in knowing where the OP looked in "NYC".
There is not many places where $3K a month studio is common in NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acceptyourself View Post
Simply took the 40x rule requirement. Looked at the most desired areas in the city. Took the average studio price and multiplied that by 40.

$120,000
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2015, 03:36 PM
 
Location: NYC
516 posts, read 754,241 times
Reputation: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by on the avenue View Post
There are too many of these threads scaring people into believing that they can't afford to live here
Good! Let them be scared! The less transplants, the happier I'm going to be.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2015, 03:44 PM
 
103 posts, read 145,622 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkub101 View Post
Good! Let them be scared! The less transplants, the happier I'm going to be.
lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2015, 04:29 PM
 
2,236 posts, read 1,995,361 times
Reputation: 4204
Quote:
Originally Posted by on the avenue View Post
The title is misleading though. For the most desirable parts yes. I still would be interested in knowing where the OP looked in "NYC".
Agreed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2015, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Bronx
16,231 posts, read 20,083,467 times
Reputation: 8243
Let's not forget some Transplant and suburbanites fresh out of college with some big job get assistance from parents back home and can act as an guarantor for an apartment.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2015, 04:40 PM
 
11,669 posts, read 10,656,737 times
Reputation: 15232
You're not much of a New Yorker, if you look only at the most desirable areas and take the average seriously.

ON the other hand, it's a disturbing indicator.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2015, 05:46 PM
 
Location: West Harlem
6,885 posts, read 8,738,332 times
Reputation: 3034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
You're not much of a New Yorker, if you look only at the most desirable areas and take the average seriously.

ON the other hand, it's a disturbing indicator.
It certainly is - and while I agree with your sentiment, it is actually becoming the reality for many people.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:24 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top