Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 07:32 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
his 9v was measured at a 220v receptacle which is not working . that means he is reading a back feed through just 1 phase . if 1 of 2 phases is out you will read some crazy low voltage phase to phase.

his other outlets were at 95v. they could be 2 separate issues.
Yes, I agree,

That's why I said for the 220V AC problem, click the circuit breakers a few times to insure good connections. Also, any copper aluminum juncture might easily cause a connection fault after a decade or more.
Failing that, try to pull out the 220 breakers and reinsert...check voltages on both sides. (You might need to unscrew the cover plate first. Be careful...dry gloves and rubber shoes here. Kill the main breaker if you can.

The 95 Volt problem is likely a separate issue...and probably the more $$$erious one. Con-Ed would never dare cut voltage 20 volts so the voltage drop is in the house wiring.

Martin,
Do you have the whole house or just an apartment? Triple check for ANY aluminum in your electrical system.

Last edited by Kefir King; 06-13-2015 at 07:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 08:00 AM

4,194 posts, read 4,075,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Yes, I agree,

That's why I said for the 220V AC problem, click the circuit breakers a few times to insure good connections. Also, any copper aluminum juncture might easily cause a connection fault after a decade or more.
Failing that, try to pull out the 220 breakers and reinsert...check voltages on both sides. (You might need to unscrew the cover plate first. Be careful...dry gloves and rubber shoes here. Kill the main breaker if you can.

The 95 Volt problem is likely a separate issue...and probably the more $$$erious one. Con-Ed would never dare cut voltage 20 volts so the voltage drop is in the house wiring.

Martin,
Do you have the whole house or just an apartment?
I have a house and it's got fuses not circuit breakers. I tried several sets of new 30 amp fuses in the 220v box and still nothing.

I believe the voltage problem is a Con Ed issue in my neighborhood. The voltage decreases later in the day when presumably more a/c's are on in the area. Yesterday morning the voltage was 110, then 95 in the late afternoon, and below 90 around 8 pm. This morning it's in the low 100s.

My unscientific hypothesis is that the problem might be a result of the large number of McMansions that have sprung up on my block and surrounding blocks the last ten years. There are at least seven on my street from corner to corner. I think the increased electrical usage by these houses which are 50-75% bigger than the prior structures may be overloading the system. I admit I don't know the physics of how electricity is delivered to neighborhoods but that's my guess. I reported the problem again to Con Ed via phone to a customer service rep.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:17 AM

106,557 posts, read 108,696,306 times
you need them to come out and look.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:07 AM

4,194 posts, read 4,075,994 times
Someone is supposed to come from Con Ed but I'm not holding my breath. The rep said there were several complete outages that needed to be fixed first. If they came right now there's nothing to see as the voltage is more or less normal at this time of day. I also suspect that when the weather cools down in a day of so there won't be any problems until the next hot day. All I can do is continue to report problems to them when they occur.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:44 AM

martin...

Turn on all your lights and make toast and measure voltage at any 115V outlet.
If you see a significant voltage drop, the problem will be yours to deal with.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:55 AM

So martin,
How did you make out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City