U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2015, 01:42 AM

16,235 posts, read 19,308,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
I live in DC now.

And don't get me wrong. I still love NYC. But its just not the city everyone makes it out to be through their over the top exaggerations. I have been to many other U.S. cities and while NYC offers a higher QUANTITY of everything.. when you get down to the nitty gritty of every day life.. I find that for all the things NYC has that other cities lack.. quality of life isn't one of them.

NYC is a great place to be one of three people:

-Rich
-A visitor
-A college student (which is just a longer version of visitor)

This is not to say NYC is a bad place to be middle class. It is just a bad place to be middle class compared to other cities. While there is more to DO.. you will rarely have the time or money to do it. Which is the great irony of NYC. Unless you're rich or a tourist (or willing to go into debt).

Hopefully that clears up the purpose behind this thread somewhat.

I I hear DC is expensive and it has a similar bull crap that NYC has?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 03:21 PM

6,502 posts, read 6,362,253 times
Quote:
I live in DC now.

And don't get me wrong. I still love NYC. But its just not the city everyone makes it out to be through their over the top exaggerations. I have been to many other U.S. cities and while NYC offers a higher QUANTITY of everything.. when you get down to the nitty gritty of every day life.. I find that for all the things NYC has that other cities lack.. quality of life isn't one of them.

NYC is a great place to be one of three people:

-Rich
-A visitor
-A college student (which is just a longer version of visitor)

This is not to say NYC is a bad place to be middle class. It is just a bad place to be middle class compared to other cities. While there is more to DO.. you will rarely have the time or money to do it. Which is the great irony of NYC. Unless you're rich or a tourist (or willing to go into debt).

Hopefully that clears up the purpose behind this thread somewhat.
This is how I see it. This is, perhaps, a different perspective than others are giving on this thread, and one I think the natives can identify with. To me NYC is all about the idea of experiencing funky neighborhoods on a much larger scale. For example, Norfolk has Ghent, and Akron has Highland Square while cities like Cleveland have large theater districts. Rich and poor live across the street from each other, literally, and figuratively. Blacks and Whites co-exist, where they would not in a suburban area. Not to say that gentrification did not exist, initially, but things get worked out over time.

NYC has Broadway, Hells Kitchen, Alphabet City, Harlem, Tribeca, Dumbo, Williamsburg, and hundreds of other areas I didn't mention because I don't live there and am not from there, but you get my point. Like, the way that Manhattan is portrayed, in the seventies, seems really interesting, although most downtown areas, in any city in this country, were similar to that in the seventies. Most people, they may get a handful of neighborhoods like that where they're from. Some people are happy to have one. Most suburbs do not have it at all, unless the suburb itself, is the funky neighborhood where all weirdos and eclectic co-exist.

If you hang out in the C-D fourms long enough, you leave with the impression that it is just a myth, and those ares were sooooo much better 30 years ago. But if you live in a boring town those areas are sooooo much better now than whatever you have to compare. This is one of the reasons millions of transients continue to pour into the city. It is the mythology of NYC that natives can play up, talk up, exploit, to make themselves and NYC larger than life that attracts outsiders. Everyone is in search of some Gotham that may not even exist, or might exist, but is not what you see on the movies or on TV.

Most Americans cities used to be interesting, but aren't so interesting anymore. Particularly in the North. So, I can't really blame natives and apologists for evangelizing NYC, because, well, what else are they going to do?

Is NYC your city, times 1,000, probably (not referring to DC in particular but anyone's city, anywhere). But then it is like Disney World, in that you can pick apart but so many different ways and people are still interested, regardless of how you intellectualize things. I understand your point, because you've lived there, but you should see our point as well. NYC still interests us, where other cities, not so much. I'm familiar with DC, I live in HR and spent a lot of time in DC, and that seems like a cool town. But it also seems expensive and overpriced, just like NYC. Some of the rents are the same. Northern Virginia is not much better, and also seems like a synthetic version of a high-rise urban area. Southern Maryland is cool, but then it is also ghetto. I guess DC is better than HR, that is a no-brainer, but I also like the working class vibe of HR. HR will never, ever, have the opportunity of DC. But I think that people here are okay with that, at least those that aren't living hand to mouth.

If you love DC, there is nothing wrong with that. It is a great opportunity to live in that town, always a learning experience, always challenging, always something new you can bring with you when you visit, live, or work in other towns. But that is a personal preference, just like people prefer to live in NYC, even though, to me and you, they seem crazy for continuing to do so.

You're practical; you say that NYC has abysmal quality of life issues, which is something I've often heard repeated and echoed throughout this fourm. But people are going to have quality of life issues anywhere. Those issues aren't where they're at, they're a symptom of what those people do, or do not, have to offer. Best quality of life for the average American is probably going to be in a city like Pittsburgh, but then that city is becoming more expensive to live in. My hometown still offers a great quality of life, but it is not as good as it was when I was growing up there. But that city is boring, and people, particularly young people, might trade off quality of life for something interesting. QOL is overrated for a lot of people until they get old and need to find good school districts for their kids and realize that there probably aren't any.

Last edited by goofy328; 07-01-2015 at 03:38 PM..

Old 07-01-2015, 03:55 PM

615 posts, read 513,780 times
I find that most things you can get in nyc you can get anywhere, and vice versa.

Actually, I can't come up with one thing that I can only get in nyc. Can anyone else?

Old 07-01-2015, 08:16 PM

2,685 posts, read 1,984,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I I hear DC is expensive and it has a similar bull crap that NYC has?
Quality of life is much better though. For instance.. the money that would get you a rat invested coffin of an apartment in NYC will get you a good studio in DC and your building might even have a free gym.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:39 PM

10,780 posts, read 8,941,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
I find that most things you can get in nyc you can get anywhere, and vice versa.

Actually, I can't come up with one thing that I can only get in nyc. Can anyone else?
Difference is that everything is within say a 5 mile radius in NYC. Most times within walking distance. Your comparing a very small geographical area to the rest of the country. Does that really sound like an apples to apples comparison to you? One thing you can find in Philly, another thing DC, another in Baltimore, etc...whereas I can just jump on a subway and get it in minutes.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:50 PM

10,780 posts, read 8,941,731 times
Quote:
Quality of life is much better though. For instance.. the money that would get you a rat invested coffin of an apartment in NYC will get you a good studio in DC and your building might even have a free gym.
That's because not as many people want to live in DC because it is an utterly boring swampland. Who really wants to go to the same 3 restaurants over and over again for the rest of their lives? They lack quantity, which also means their quality is lacking as well because the options are too few and far between.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:15 PM

615 posts, read 513,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Difference is that everything is within say a 5 mile radius in NYC. Most times within walking distance. Your comparing a very small geographical area to the rest of the country. Does that really sound like an apples to apples comparison to you? One thing you can find in Philly, another thing DC, another in Baltimore, etc...whereas I can just jump on a subway and get it in minutes.
No I actually meant city to city. For example anything you can get in NYC you can get in philly. My point is that the city is not a world unto itself with it's own things. It's just like every other city - just bigger.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Now you're just being ridiculous. EVERYTHING in the world within a 5 mile radius? That is pure crap.

Don't forget I actually lived in NYC.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:17 PM

Quote:
That's because not as many people want to live in DC because it is an utterly boring swampland. Who really wants to go to the same 3 restaurants over and over again for the rest of their lives? They lack quantity, which also means their quality is lacking as well because the options are too few and far between.
DC only has 3 restaurants now? This is just getting ridiculous.

Clearly the words of someone who has never been to DC in their entire life.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:28 PM

11,702 posts, read 22,373,702 times
Quote:
DC only has 3 restaurants now? This is just getting ridiculous.

Clearly the words of someone who has never been to DC in their entire life.
I think he's been there, experienced it and is trying to make a point to you by EXAGGERATING, which you claim to hate so much. But hey, guess what, you are doing it to make your point too, by saying that everyone exaggerates about NY. Everyone as in 100% of the population, kind of an exaggeration, don't you think?

I think it's time for you to calm down about the whole exaggerating thing and move on.

Quote:
But its just not the city everyone makes it out to be through their over the top exaggerations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or