Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 10:14 AM

15,822 posts, read 14,460,687 times

Advertisements

Of course. There are only two reasons why the Senate Republicans care about rent regulation:

1). It gives them leverage on the Assembly and Governor on issues they do care about

2). It gives the real estate lobby reasons to make huge campaign contributions to them, to get the terms the real estate lobby wants in the renewals.

I really wish the Republicans would let the regs expire, and stay expired. This would have the result of forcing a lot of the old line Democrat voters out of the city. It might be too much to hope that the city would turn conservative, but might be less ridiculously liberal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Negotiations are going on but most of it is not about the rent regs themselves. This is a just being used as a political tool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 10:27 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Of course. There are only two reasons why the Senate Republicans care about rent regulation:

1). It gives them leverage on the Assembly and Governor on issues they do care about

2). It gives the real estate lobby reasons to make huge campaign contributions to them, to get the terms the real estate lobby wants in the renewals.

I really wish the Republicans would let the regs expire, and stay expired. This would have the result of forcing a lot of the old line Democrat voters out of the city. It might be too much to hope that the city would turn conservative, but might be less ridiculously liberal.
Those that are called conservative still would not be living in NYC. Gun regulations, the city is full of immigrants, gays, etc. None of that will change. The city's underclass would still be in public and other welfare housing. And for most of the outer boroughs the difference betwern market rate and rent stabilization is not so great. In short most people would not be severely effected and you'd see no real change.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:43 AM

They'll move here because the jobs are, and will continue to be, here. That's what I did. I'm politically incompatible with NYC. I should have moved away years ago, but haven't yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Those that are called conservative still would not be living in NYC. Gun regulations, the city is full of immigrants, gays, etc. None of that will change. The city's underclass would still be in public and other welfare housing. And for most of the outer boroughs the difference betwern market rate and rent stabilization is not so great. In short most people would not be severely effected and you'd see no real change.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:53 AM

279 posts, read 521,274 times
I'd rather have rent stabilization than hoards of housing projects everywhere. Those people live like animals. You can point to SEVERAL areas of NYC.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:51 PM

31,885 posts, read 26,916,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Smart landlords would be wise to get a team of lawyers to figure out what they can do here. Seems to me if the RS laws expire LL's should send out certified letters to all RS tenants that their apartment is no longer RS and that after the current lease expires, the rent is now at market rate $X,XXX. Even if the lease is good for another 9 months they should send notices right away and then fight the State in court when they try to pull those retroactive shenanigans
There is a long history of renewing RS "late" and making it proactive so don't think it would count as "shenagigans".

Landlords know unless RS laws are either permanently repealed and or allowed to lapse without *any* hope of renewal (highly unlikely), they have few cards to play.

A bulk of RS tenants are downstate in particular NYC where housing court judges tend to overwhelming favor them. It would be a vast waste of time to go though the motions you mentioned and landlords know it already.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:55 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,923,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Smart landlords would be wise to get a team of lawyers to figure out what they can do here. Seems to me if the RS laws expire LL's should send out certified letters to all RS tenants that their apartment is no longer RS and that after the current lease expires, the rent is now at market rate $X,XXX. Even if the lease is good for another 9 months they should send notices right away and then fight the State in court when they try to pull those retroactive shenanigans
And thereby open themselves up to harassment lawsuits - as they are keenly aware.

Some would be justified and some not. In our current climate it seems as though the "nots" always make out like bandits in the end somehow.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:03 PM

214 posts, read 197,470 times
Isn't this really just another one of those "three men in a room" decisions??? Preet Bharara, you watchin?

Old 06-15-2015, 03:44 PM

As I said, stabilization expiring does not invalidate existing leases. When the leases expire is when this could bite. I've heard something to the effect that if you're lease expires on or before 9/31 your LL still must give you a renewal lease under stabilization. I'm not sure how that works if the laws have expired, but I haven't dug into it. Maybe that could be challenged.

But the upshot is, the laws would have to expire, and stay expired for at least a few months, to really change anything.

As I said before, the real question is, what are the Senate Republicans going to demand in return for renewing the rent laws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
And thereby open themselves up to harassment lawsuits - as they are keenly aware.

Some would be justified and some not. In our current climate it seems as though the "nots" always make out like bandits in the end somehow.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:45 PM

Bharaha would only come into play if it could be shown that someone in the room was bought and paid for, and illegally at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STB1220 View Post
Isn't this really just another one of those "three men in a room" decisions??? Preet Bharara, you watchin?

Old 06-15-2015, 03:52 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,706,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
As I said before, the real question is, what are the Senate Republicans going to demand in return for renewing the rent laws?
They could potentially keep kicking the can down the road by extending month to month or on a single year basis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City