Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2015, 04:58 PM

931 posts, read 797,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Perhaps a person who is a social worker or a special education teacher, from a modest background (because authentic talent does not ask for a finance report), with student loans, IS in fact entitled.

I count a dozen such people among my good friends and only one comes from money. All make amazing contributions.

People might give that some thought while babbling on about the small number of people who take advantage. Many more people legitimately benefit - or I should say, benefit YOU through their contributions.
Aren't you a social worker?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 05:04 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,891,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro123 View Post
Aren't you a social worker?
No, why would you think that ?

It is important work.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
No, why would you think that ?

It is important work.
Your profession is very important to this RS topic as NO ONE ever passionately defends anything without having some kind of tie to the topic.

So what's your story...

Are you a housing judge?

Do you work for MET council?

Are you a court attorney in housing court?

Do you work for the "Working Families Party" or ACORN?

Do you work as Legal Aid in housing court?

Are you a member/leader of your local Tenant Advocacy group?

Old 06-24-2015, 05:22 PM

31,682 posts, read 26,569,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLotteryGurl View Post
I'm confused about 2500 to 2700.

So a LL cannot remodel my apartment until the rent reaches over 2700? Can someone clarify because I don't understand what that 200 dollar difference is about.

Also, are current tenants in RS building's still subject to the same 1 to 5% annual increases?
What is so difficult to understand?

The rent for decontrol was raised by $200 to $2700. When rent goes to $2701 *and* a tenant/household earn more than the set amount for two consecutive years the apartment can be taken out of RS.

Other method will be upon vacancy if the new rent is over $2700 the apartment can be taken out of RS and rented at free market.

As one of the links below shows when the last increase was passed (to $2500 per month rent) numbers of luxury decontrolled units dropped. It is expected this new increase will do the same.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...racy-explained

Rent Stabilization NYC | Rent Stabilization Rules | Tenants Rights

NYC rent laws are confusing

Finding a Rent-Stabilized Apartment in NYC Isn't That Hard - Lifestyles of the Rent Stabilized - Curbed NY

There was a push for eliminating luxury decontrol for several reasons. One is simply due to a good amount of RS apartments (mostly in Manhattan below 96th Street) with rents near $2500. Depending upon voted increases by the RGB those tenants could be looking at reaching said number in just a few years. So Cuomo split the difference and raised the amount; that in theory should give tenants breathing room.

Again where do you keep getting this "1%-5%" increase number? The RGB has no floor or limit on increases. In prior years increases have reached a high of 8% for a two year lease.

Where can I find the historical rent stabilized increases for NYC? - Quora

Fact Sheet #26: Guide to Rent Increases for Rent Stabilized Apartments in New York City

Old 06-24-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Your profession is very important to this RS topic as NO ONE ever passionately defends anything without having some kind of tie to the topic.

So what's your story...

Are you a housing judge?

Do you work for MET council?

Are you a court attorney in housing court?

Do you work for the "Working Families Party" or ACORN?

Do you work as Legal Aid in housing court?

Are you a member/leader of your local Tenant Advocacy group?
Right, that's the way people think now - although, it can depend which university you attended.

It's all about "me" - what impacts "ME" - just all about "me." This un-critical and un-analytical thinking leads to - No opinions; everyone has an "agenda." This is what I have meant when I observed, many times, that most people now are really dumb. I stand by that observation.

An aside - interestingly, all of the people in a rage here right now have some sort of involvement in real estate. Speaking of agendas.

I have explained my interests quite carefully, and several times. Look it up. You can read, right ?

None of the above are correct, although I help lots of people with different things when I have the time and we are not away. We have a lot and therefore owe a debt to everyone else given our very good fortune and subsequent successes in life, especially speaking in relative terms.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Right, that's the way people think now - although, it can depend which university you attended.

It's all about "me" - what impacts "ME" - just all about "me." This un-critical and un-analytical thinking leads to - No opinions; everyone has an "agenda." This is what I have meant when I observed, many times, that most people now are really dumb. I stand by that observation.

An aside - interestingly, all of the people in a rage here right now have some sort of involvement in real estate. Speaking of agendas.

I have explained my interests quite carefully, and several times. Look it up. You can read, right ?

None of the above are correct, although I help lots of people with different things when I have the time and we are not away. We have a lot and therefore owe a debt to everyone else given our very good fortune and subsequent successes in life, especially speaking in relative terms.
I love it how you dodged the question. All that dancing must hurt your feet. I'm done with your crazy self.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
I love it how you dodged the question. All that dancing must hurt your feet. I'm done with your crazy self.
Helping you out a bit, as is apparently needed, here is where I answered:

None of the above are correct, although I help lots of people with different things when I have the time and we are not away.

You could pay careful attention to the bolded part because that's the "net-net" answer.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

As the wave of Boomers reach retirement and then old age, along with those who are already seniors either die off or move out of their RS apartments it is going to free up no small number of units. Bill de Boob, the City Council, the real estate lobby and anyone paying attention to this situation knows the deal; as RS units vacate they most certainly will *NOT* return to the market as "affordable" housing. But gut renovated into luxury or at least market rate rent.
Not necessarily - there is tons of activism going on in the form of information, outreach, and similar. This comes up at different meetings and sometimes even unlikely ones.

People are protecting their rights, they often have children who live with them and can take over leases. Even informally, people have neighbors who talk to them and give them advice. I have done that myself when something comes up - including here.

Perhaps more significantly, different groups are educating transplants, immigrants, people from Europe, and so on. The transplants in particular are quite interested in filing rent inquiries, for example.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:42 PM

31,682 posts, read 26,569,406 times
Quote:
Not necessarily - there is tons of activism going on in the form of information, outreach, and similar. This comes up at different meetings and sometimes even unlikely ones.

People are protecting their rights, they often have children who live with them and can take over leases. Even informally, people have neighbors who talk to them and give them advice. I have done that myself when something comes up - including here.

Perhaps more significantly, different groups are educating transplants, immigrants, people from Europe, and so on. The transplants in particular are quite interested in filing rent inquiries, for example.
Succession of a RS lease is only good once IIRC. So either a spouse or child or whatever can "inherit" but then that is it.

Yes, there is more "out reach" but it does not change factors on the ground; sooner or later we all go back to dust. It may take ten, twenty or more years but sooner or later that RS apartment will become vacate. Once that happens unless laws are very much changed the owner will move to make sure that unit comes out of rent protections.

As for tenants "rights", yes they do have them; but the devil is in the details.

Like I said earlier in this thread just because the law says a LL must paint your apartment every three years it does not follow the work will be TOL. Nor just because you are entitled to a working fridge or stove will you get a brand new TOL replacement should yours break down. Heat? Modern computer controls allow a greater fine tuning of temperatures. NYC laws are really rather low, keeping apartments on the chilly side for some, but that is where a LL can set things and still be within the law.

All am saying is many LL's of RS units will do just what is required for RS tenants, especially those in prime Manhattan areas paying below market rate. If said tenant doesn't like it, the LL's response is "move".

The last bit is why so many aren't happy with Cuomo's so called "deal" on RS laws. It largely leaves things as status quo.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

The last bit is why so many aren't happy with Cuomo's so called "deal" on RS laws. It largely leaves things as status quo.
Agree, in fact.

Interesting that the number of regulated buildings enjoying a J-51 never came up here.

In case anyone else is interested, many rent regulated landlords enjoy this benefit - they do not pay property taxes on the buildings in question. Which "dings" the poverty cry from landlords, and is also a reason that landlords refusing to do repairs and/or improvements - which the benefit requires - should be scrutinized.

Here is a basic explanation: http://www.nyshcr.org/Rent/FactSheets/orafac41.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City