Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 09:01 AM

457 posts, read 736,963 times

Advertisements

I think the OP is ridiculous. She needs 60 days to make and save enough money to move into a place yet she has money to afford a lawyer?

That seems suspect and doesn't make sense.

Your friend did you a favor and anyone in NYC can find a new place within in a week. Ask your friends and hire a moving company to move if you have a broken ankle. Clearly you don't have the funds at this time to move so I'd suggest you go to the bank and make a substantial withdrawal from one of your credit cards or write yourself a balance transfer check with 0.00% interest and use the funds to move. Your friend did you a favor and under no circumstances was this a lifetime agreement so you should have been prepared in advance for when this day would finally come. I think your friend should be understanding and try to work with you to give you 60 days, but it is her place. She has the right to do what she wants. Maybe you were never really good friends for her to accommodate your reasonable request?

Besides, you shouldn't have money issues since she didn't accept your June rent. There's your security deposit right there. Go to the bank and make a credit card withdrawal/cash advance and stop being difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 09:07 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
If you think your old roommate is trying to play hardball, and it sounds like she is, then I'd say it's smart to get a lawyer. For a rent regulated apartment on the UWS, whatever you pay an attorney will be nothing compared to how much in rent you'll be saving in the long run by not having to move.
This is the best advice. It will most certainly prove very much worth it.

What follows is the dumb-and-dumber knee-jerk conservative position and then the whack-o who has no idea how anything works.

The OP is free to choose carefully ...

Old 06-18-2015, 09:17 AM

6 posts, read 9,170 times
thank you all! I am not trying to scam anyone, I am just not sure what to do.....my friend wont accept the rent. So should I just pay the management directly what I have been paying or leave it unpaid. I am SURE she has not paid it.....it sounds like I should get an attorney.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slh81277 View Post
thank you all! I am not trying to scam anyone, I am just not sure what to do.....my friend wont accept the rent. So should I just pay the management directly what I have been paying or leave it unpaid. I am SURE she has not paid it.....it sounds like I should get an attorney.
It's not about accepting rent now but your history and establishing legal residence.

Whatever you do, do not hand over the keys. And start getting documents and paper together.

The more work your lawyer needs to do the more it will cost you.

If you do not have an attorney your chances of winning are very much more slim.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:15 AM

6 posts, read 9,170 times
Since I do not have a copy of the tenants lease after asking, should I request this from the building management or should I just fill out a form RA-90?

Old 06-18-2015, 10:57 AM

457 posts, read 736,963 times
I think you're being extremely difficult. You already have June's rent money which you can use towards your security deposit on a new apartment. Now go to the bank, use your credit card and get a cash advance for funds to move.

You're clearly being difficult trying to pay the management company and overriding your friends instructions.

You're beyond ridiculous. Next time you should get a legitimate lease. Friends and money don't mix.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:09 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
The rent stabilization laws have expired and if renewed who knows what the terms may be. You are better off just moving out. If she gave you till Sept. 1st to move out that is enough time. Save summer's rent and move out.

Try to fight this out in court and you may both be evicted.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:11 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLotteryGurl View Post
I think you're being extremely difficult. You already have June's rent money which you can use towards your security deposit on a new apartment. Now go to the bank, use your credit card and get a cash advance for funds to move.

You're clearly being difficult trying to pay the management company and overriding your friends instructions.

You're beyond ridiculous. Next time you should get a legitimate lease. Friends and money don't mix.
The thing is that the OP is asking about her rights, not your opinion on how difficult you think she's being. Clearly you don't know anything about the topic being discussed.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slh81277 View Post
Since I do not have a copy of the tenants lease after asking, should I request this from the building management or should I just fill out a form RA-90?
You need to ask your lawyer for specific advice.
Which paperwork you file can prove significant.

Should add about the RA-90 - keep in mind that DHCR is far from necessarily tenant friendly.

If you originate an action with DHCR, many times you automatically curtail the possibility of housing court, which is usually a far better option. You should obtain professional advice about this and from someone who is very experienced in precisely these kinds of cases. It's all about opinion and you want the best one.

Last edited by Harlem resident; 06-18-2015 at 01:08 PM..

Old 06-18-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
The thing is that the OP is asking about her rights, not your opinion on how difficult you think she's being. Clearly you don't know anything about the topic being discussed.
Thanks ! as usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: