Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 10:20 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,338,950 times

Advertisements

Check out Southern Brooklyn or some of the remaining white neighborhoods in the Bronx. Those areas are completely safe. I've never seen nor heard of anyone harassed like what you're talking about in my neighborhood.

Most of the rest of the city will be out of your price range.

Are you sharing an apartment now, or did you somehow find a studio for $700?

Personally I think you should call the cops immediately about this though. Make repeated calls if necessary. If nothing is done then start calling the local newsmedia until the situation is rectified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 10:42 PM

4,436 posts, read 7,647,117 times
Have you called the police in the first instance?

Old 01-21-2008, 10:51 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,858,694 times
Quote:
I can't imagine reporting it would do anything, and worry that fighting back will make it worse
Apparently the police were not called. If this a reoccurring event you need to call the police before you or someone else gets hurt. You may not be the only person these thugs are harassing... actually it is beyond harassment now it sounds like is assault if you have had an injury. If you are moving out of the neighborhood anyway, why not press charges against these kids?

Old 01-21-2008, 11:17 PM

3 posts, read 16,017 times
I guess I'd sort of like to stay if I can hack it, which is why I'm reticent to press charges. Leaving is such a hassle, I have to break a lease, leave 2 roommates (and find one to take my place), find a place to stay, start commuting to work from my family's home on Long Island, etc.

I'm starting to think it might be simpler to just take a cab home every night/try to sync up schedules with my roommates since I don't think the kids are up early enough to mess with me on my way to work. I only work 3 nights a week, so it's only gonna cost me like an extra $100 a month to do so, which is probably about the cost of LIRR'ing it to work, and possibly less than what moving, etc. would cost.

Don't you worry that if I tell the cops, someone might take it out on me? Or if I start defending myself? The last thing I want is to escalate this. I just wish I could squash it. Maybe I'll talk to the landlord, who is a former Navy guy and seems pretty protective. I just wonder what he could do.

I think the issue is that I'll never get any feedback. The best case scenario is that nobody attacks me again, so I just have to go the next 7 months in perpetual fear of it happening.
On the plus side, the lady that umbrella'd those kids was 20 and gave me her number. And I am friends with a lot of the nicer, meeker high schoolers in the park, and even a few of the homies in town. It's a sucky spot.

Last edited by iheartponeez; 01-21-2008 at 11:26 PM..

Old 01-22-2008, 02:13 AM

25 posts, read 172,288 times
I used to go to Pratt Institute and had a classmate who got mugged by some kids while walking around the campus in broad daylight. You gotta just walk around with a really tough mean look on your face. Wear bulky leather jacket and sunglasses.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:02 AM

4,436 posts, read 7,647,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartponeez View Post
I guess I'd sort of like to stay if I can hack it, which is why I'm reticent to press charges. Leaving is such a hassle, I have to break a lease, leave 2 roommates (and find one to take my place), find a place to stay, start commuting to work from my family's home on Long Island, etc.

I'm starting to think it might be simpler to just take a cab home every night/try to sync up schedules with my roommates since I don't think the kids are up early enough to mess with me on my way to work. I only work 3 nights a week, so it's only gonna cost me like an extra $100 a month to do so, which is probably about the cost of LIRR'ing it to work, and possibly less than what moving, etc. would cost.

Don't you worry that if I tell the cops, someone might take it out on me? Or if I start defending myself? The last thing I want is to escalate this. I just wish I could squash it. Maybe I'll talk to the landlord, who is a former Navy guy and seems pretty protective. I just wonder what he could do.

I think the issue is that I'll never get any feedback. The best case scenario is that nobody attacks me again, so I just have to go the next 7 months in perpetual fear of it happening.
On the plus side, the lady that umbrella'd those kids was 20 and gave me her number. And I am friends with a lot of the nicer, meeker high schoolers in the park, and even a few of the homies in town. It's a sucky spot.
From your posts, it is obvious that not doing anything IS escalating the situation! Damn the torpedoes, these punks gotta go!

Old 01-22-2008, 05:21 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,317,988 times
iheartpoonez

Sorry to hear that you are getting harassed. If you don't want to fight, then I say call the police. Bottom line is, now they think your whole style is chump, so they are going to keep coming at you unless you do something. I say call the cops, you will be labeled a snitch after that but, at least you won't have to take licks every time you walk home.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:47 AM

33,601 posts, read 46,904,702 times
i say get some balls and stand up to them....you cant get harrassed on your own block....thats 1 of the problems living in the hood for anybody. sometimes things like this happen, which is why i dont advocate people moving into the hood unless they've had previous experience living there before. you have all these people on the board that would advocate moving into the pitts of hell just to save a couple dollars in rent, with no hood experience, and then look at the **** that happens.
and lewis avenue is the ghetto, you're a few blocks away from eleanor roosevelt houses, nicknamed "R.V." by the locals. a rough housing project. i went over there a couple times, i was on pulaski and marcus garvey and these guys were staring me down like it was no tomorrow. but they was only doin that cause i wasnt from around there. but nothing happened because i aint ***** plus im goin about my business.
but people will trump up certain neighborhoods on this board knowing damn well its the hood and when **** like this happens, those posters arent coming in this thread to comment.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:34 AM

1,121 posts, read 6,541,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
i say get some balls and stand up to them....you cant get harrassed on your own block....
Not the greatest advice either. What if they're gang connected or part of a gang? The harassment could easily turn into something more serious. Remember that he's a "lone wolf" in a field full of wolf packs.

To the OP: The best thing to do like most have mentioned is to report the incident to the cops and starting looking to head somewhere safer. A friend's friend was robbed at gunpoint during one morning near Lewis and Lafayette by a group of kids. The younger they are, the more prone to violence and the need to get some rep will be bigger than ever. That area is a big no-no.

Or if all else fails, just hire a hitman. Gotta take them out when they're early, right? It'll save at least $150k a year on taxpayers monies.

*Sarcasm intended on that last part for those who lack reading comprehension.*

Old 01-22-2008, 07:48 AM

33,601 posts, read 46,904,702 times
the OP is 22 years old...i'll be damned if i'm run off my block by teenagers. people only mess with people if they think they can get away with it....and if they had the potential to threaten him with a gun they would have did it the 1st time. why wait? if he would have handled it the 1st time when they threw bottles at him they wouldnt have messed with him. he didnt even have to get physical....just get crazy and loud in the street and say "WHO YOU THROWING BOTTLES AT??? DONT **** WITH ME IM CRAZY!" he would have made so much noise everybody on the block really would have though he was crazy and left him alone. and the cops aint worried about **** like this all they want is guns and drugs. rather die on my feet than live on my knees thats my principle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City