Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 11:51 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,833,497 times

Advertisements

I would exhaust all resources to find a job prior to moving. He just made a large time and money commitment for law school. Your first job out of school truly sets up the rest of your career. You don't want to take some $15/hr doc review job and have that as what sets your career path. That said, his firm has an office in NYC. That is by far the path you want to go down, its a no-brainer.
The professional job process takes time. From first interview to first paycheck can take 2.5 months, and thats if you are offered the first job you apply to.
My advice - first and foremost really explore him moving with his firm. That is by far your best bet. If you are going to move, I'd get odd-jobs like a bartender, waiter, clerical / admin work, etc right away. That will give you some living money so you don't have to jump at the first job that may come along. Like I said, this will really set him on his career trajectory, and you don't want to sabotage that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 12:38 PM

204 posts, read 291,768 times
Joeymags, I agree. I want to have jobs before we leave. The odds of us both having a job prior to leaving, are slim. He is unsure if he would be able to transfer with his company for different reasons... although that would be the best option. He's been working as an attorney for 2 years in Florida, so he has some experience, but not much. Both of us are willing to do whatever we have to do to make money, even if it means not working in our fields until we find a job.

I know how difficult it can be to apply for jobs out of state, which is why I really considered moving without having a job lined up. If we don't find jobs before moving... then what, we don't ever move? That's the other issue I've run into and the biggest internal struggle that I've been having. We don't want to stay here and at some point we're going to have to take the chance and risk it. I know how to "play it safe" and do things right, it's what I've always done. This is SO out of the norm for me, and why I'm asking complete strangers for advice.

I don't want someone to just tell me everything will be fine when it won't be. But I also don't want someone to tell me it's not going to work out because things are not working out perfectly.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:13 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,773,635 times
FSU00,

im a real estate agent here in nyc and deal with your situation on a weekly basis. Heres is a brief list for people in your shoes.

1. Can you get a guarantor (someone who can apply for you, sign on the lease and be able to make 80x's the monthly rent)

2. please note most landlord-management companies want someone who has been employed at least 3-6 months before accepting them. Its not completely out of the question though for new employee to secure a place as ive done it as well.

3. You might be asked to give extra security of 2-6 months or a yr upfront. You might be asked to pay 3-6 months advance rent.

4. The reason why money is asked upfront is because landlords-management companies go by the impression since you're new to nyc you may not like it and leave back to where you came from. You may quit or get fired from your job.

5. I suggest the best bet is to find a sublet, air bnb, friends to stay with etc.

There's so many variables in terms of housing options for you. Ive put people in 3000 1br in the east village, 3000 3br in washington heights, 2500 2br in bushwick, 2700 1br in chelsea, 3000 2br in the uws, 1600 1br in washington heights, 2500 1br in uws, 2800 1br in ues, 2600 1br in west village. 2800 2br in gramercy.

You can make it happen just takes luck and knowing where to look on your own, using an agent, understanding the paperwork and requirements needed and understanding the subway which makes traveling a whole lot easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: