Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 09:00 PM

107 posts, read 119,750 times

Advertisements

I recently visited the NYC area for a job relocation opportunity. My husband is an engineer who will be working at LGA on a reconstruction project of some terminals (I don't know much about this). I was born, bred and raised in the midwest and was very nervous about moving to the NYC area with our children. We are very financially comfortable by midwest standards. My first thought was 'where is there affordable housing with good schools and big yards close to Queens'??? I am not a back-woods idiot - I graduated from the University of Michigan, was accepted to Yale med school, but chose to pursue my doctorate from Michigan State University instead. So, basically I'm not ignorant. Well, I can tell all of you other midwesterners that I was very surprised that I completely fell in love with Queens. I extended my stay because I loved it so much and would move there tomorrow if not for my kids' need of a yard and 'suburban' setting. My personal experience is that the cost of living in the NYC area is outrageous. Expect to pay 5x more than what you currently pay for housing / property taxes / utilities in the midwest. Our $300k 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom, house built in 2000 on an acre of land with a phenomenal in-ground salt water pool in an excellent school district in the MW would cost us $1.2 - 1.5 million in the NYC area. And to be honest, most companies will NOT cover those cost-of-living expenses. But I will say that if we had enough money, I would move to the NYC area in a second! If you have a family and don't mind paying $800k+ for housing (much less house than what you are used to) then you can get the best deal in Ridgefield, CT. The commute is not nearly as bad as what locals tell you. Take 35 to 684 to the city. My husband has done this several times during rush hour on purpose to see how long it takes. His average is 1 hr 15 min each way. Don't bother even checking out the NJ suburbs. NJ is a nightmare with the GWB and commute across the Bronx and Manhattan. LI is also a nightmare with the traffic on the LIE and the outrageous COL. Queens is the best bet if kids are OK without yard and don't mind crowded / busy feel of the city. I don't know what we will do, but best of luck to all of you! I hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 09:27 PM

11,582 posts, read 12,601,028 times
I'm personally counting on your husband to fix LGA. I hate that airport.

We warned you over in the Long Island forum that you won't find the equivalent house for 800K in the New York area. Please remember that your husband tested the commute on nice warm days in June. With winter weather, heavy rain and any type of snow, any type of delay on the bridge, construction projects, etc. that commute is going to be longer and it's going to grow old. I think where you come from has better snow removal and preparation than here. This here, there was a shortage of salt and the supply had to be stretched.

Queens is comprised of so many different neighborhoods, each with a completely different atmosphere, I'm not sure if you really love the whole borough or just the parts that you saw. There are many sections of Queens that have that yard for your children, but it will cost you. Next time, take a look at Forest Hills Gardens, Malba, Whitestone, Neponsit, Jamaica Estates, Fresh Meadows, Bellerose, Floral Park. Anyway, if your children are of high school age, that yard really isn't that important any more. However, since there really aren't neighborhood high schools in NYC, finding a safe and appropriate one for your children would be problematic. Something tells me that you visited gentrified hipster Astoria and Long Island City, which does not reflect most of Queens.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:13 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,872,131 times
A lot of your flexibility on where you can live in queens will depend on your kids ability to take test. NYC admission for middle school and high school is based on city wide exams. If your kids are great at taking test they can enroll into the best schools across the city and commute, however, if your kids are not great at taking test than local schools will play a greater importance.

How to apply

NYC Public School placement is very competitive and beating the kids who have been going to school and tutoring classes (10-12 hr studying days) for the purpose of passing the exam is no easy task.

Last edited by NYer23; 06-20-2015 at 10:25 PM..

Old 06-20-2015, 10:13 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,044,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engrvet View Post
I was very surprised that I completely fell in love with Queens. I extended my stay because I loved it so much and would move there tomorrow if not for my kids' need of a yard and 'suburban' setting.
Are you sure your kids need a yard? Or is that just what you think they need? Plenty of NYC kids grow up going to the local park instead of playing in a yard and seem to have turned out ok. Also, maybe sometimes they won't be playing in a park, but will be attending cool cultural events geared towards children. There are tons of these types of opportunities in NY. I think your children might end up being more well-rounded if they are exposed to many types of experiences vs. just playing in the yard.

Old 06-21-2015, 05:45 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,253,245 times
You can find 1 acre 4 bedroom houses in western Suffolk for $700k. And easier to find things if you go to down to 1/2 acre. Rather far, but better than Connecticut. And I'll second, that your kids might not mind the lack of a yard or a crowded city environment. And you might be able to find a home with a very small yard, which could be enough.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:47 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,262,289 times
I live in Queens and have a yard. I grew up in Queens and my parents have a yard. My no means did we at any time have close to an acre of land, nor should we. Wouldn't want to have to maintain it (forget about the pool), and frankly its irresponsible for anyone to feel the need to have all that land. Listen to the Pope. If we needed that much land to play on, we walked a couple blocks to the nearest park or schoolyard. And my total cost of living is probably lower than yours (but not my cost of living per square foot). Only reason not to live here is because of the schools, and Queens doesn't have it close to as bad as in some of the other boros where public school isn't even an option.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:38 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,196,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I live in Queens and have a yard. I grew up in Queens and my parents have a yard. My no means did we at any time have close to an acre of land, nor should we. Wouldn't want to have to maintain it (forget about the pool), and frankly its irresponsible for anyone to feel the need to have all that land. Listen to the Pope. If we needed that much land to play on, we walked a couple blocks to the nearest park or schoolyard. And my total cost of living is probably lower than yours (but not my cost of living per square foot). Only reason not to live here is because of the schools, and Queens doesn't have it close to as bad as in some of the other boros where public school isn't even an option.
Agree

OP you have a 4 bedroom/3 bath home. You didn't say how big your family was but do you REALLY need that much space in your home. In NYC you could give your children experiences that are priceless.
Basically it comes down to whats more important to you, material possessions or life experiences.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:27 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,820,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engrvet View Post
I graduated from the University of Michigan, was accepted to Yale med school, but chose to pursue my doctorate from Michigan State University instead. So, basically I'm not ignorant. Well, I can tell all of you other midwesterners that I was very surprised that I completely fell in love with Queens. I extended my stay because I loved it so much and would move there tomorrow if not for my kids' need of a yard and 'suburban' setting. My personal experience is that the cost of living in the NYC area is outrageous. Expect to pay 5x more than what you currently pay for housing / property taxes / utilities in the midwest. Our $300k 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom, house built in 2000 on an acre of land with a phenomenal in-ground salt water pool in an excellent school district in the MW would cost us $1.2 - 1.5 million in the NYC area. And to be honest, most companies will NOT cover those cost-of-living expenses.
Aside from your spouse's specific job, why would you prefer to live & work in Queens as opposed to, say, Cincinnati?

Old 06-21-2015, 12:54 PM

107 posts, read 119,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I'm personally counting on your husband to fix LGA. I hate that airport.

We warned you over in the Long Island forum that you won't find the equivalent house for 800K in the New York area. Please remember that your husband tested the commute on nice warm days in June. With winter weather, heavy rain and any type of snow, any type of delay on the bridge, construction projects, etc. that commute is going to be longer and it's going to grow old. I think where you come from has better snow removal and preparation than here. This here, there was a shortage of salt and the supply had to be stretched.

Queens is comprised of so many different neighborhoods, each with a completely different atmosphere, I'm not sure if you really love the whole borough or just the parts that you saw. There are many sections of Queens that have that yard for your children, but it will cost you. Next time, take a look at Forest Hills Gardens, Malba, Whitestone, Neponsit, Jamaica Estates, Fresh Meadows, Bellerose, Floral Park. Anyway, if your children are of high school age, that yard really isn't that important any more. However, since there really aren't neighborhood high schools in NYC, finding a safe and appropriate one for your children would be problematic. Something tells me that you visited gentrified hipster Astoria and Long Island City, which does not reflect most of Queens.
Nope, I was in the Afghanistan / Pakistan area. Also the South American area. Also around LGA

Old 06-21-2015, 01:45 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,892,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Are you sure your kids need a yard? Or is that just what you think they need? Plenty of NYC kids grow up going to the local park instead of playing in a yard and seem to have turned out ok. Also, maybe sometimes they won't be playing in a park, but will be attending cool cultural events geared towards children. There are tons of these types of opportunities in NY. I think your children might end up being more well-rounded if they are exposed to many types of experiences vs. just playing in the yard.
We chose "park" because we both appreciate the social aspect, communal enjoyment, public-ness.

This is important for children but an orientation that is rather rare in the increasingly privatized environment that is America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City