Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 07:04 PM

126 posts, read 156,736 times

Advertisements

Before Bay Ridge, I used to live in Ridgewood. One day I wanted to explore the neighborhood and ended up around the Jefferson St stop. I don't know if there are better areas within Bushwick, but that one looked pretty ugly and gave off a weird vibe.

I have some friends from France that moved to New York and started on the Upper West Side but it got too expensive for them and moved to Bushwick. One week later, some guys (allegedly) entered the apartment (they were stupid enough to keep their windows open) and took their laptops and other electronic stuff.

I see a lot of people moving there and I really don't know what the appeal is besides proximity to Union Square. I always recommend Bay Ridge because I love it but after they hear "45 minutes away from Manhattan" they're like "no thanks".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 07:09 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,914,400 times
Close to Manhattan, and cheaper then Williamsburg.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:58 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,773,635 times
Cause people follow trends.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:03 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Bay Ridge is nice, safe, and cheap (I'd live there), but I can also understand why many people wouldn't. Namely, the amount of time it takes to get to Manhattan from Bay Ridge. Note, even at 45 minutes, that assumes no express bus/train delays. And it gets worse on weekends and late nights. For many people, that is a deal breaker.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:07 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Lots of reasons to live in Bushwick.

Close to Manhattan, two train lines, tons of lofts, relatively affordable, hundreds of galleries, great restaurants and bars, probably the most hipster-oriented neighborhood on the planet (if you're into that sort of thing).

Bay Ridge is a nice area too but attracts a completely different demographic. Bay Ridge doesn't have lofts, art galleries, cool restaurants, a creative scene, and isn't close to Manhattan.

But the biggest reason people move to Bushwick- it's next to Williamsburg. Williamsburg is more expensive than much of Manhattan at this point, so Bushwick gives you the proximity at a much lower cost.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:55 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
If Ridgewood is gentrifying, then Bushwick is next.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:37 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,590,031 times
Except for the native Puerto Ricans and Dominicans nobody did want to live in Bushwick until only about 5 years ago.

It's not for everybody. Young and hipster...not really my thing anymore either but I make due here for the moment. The type of person who moves to Bay Ridge I can see probably not digging it either.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
If Ridgewood is gentrifying, then Bushwick is next.
The opposite is true. Bushwick has largely gentrified, at least the northern industrial parts, and now Ridgewood is gentrifying.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Except for the native Puerto Ricans and Dominicans nobody did want to live in Bushwick until only about 5 years ago.
It started getting trendy around 10-15 years ago. The first wave of bars/restaurants and loft dwellers were there around 2002 or so. I remember going to loft parties there around then. It was like 100x rougher then, but even then was very cool and I could see the appeal.

Also, the real old-timers in Bushwick aren't the PR/DR population; it's the Italians. There are still elderly Italians in northern Bushwick, and a few remaining businesses. Northern Bushwick was mostly Italian until the 1970's. There are also tons of Mexicans in Bushwick, but they're recent arrivals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
It's not for everybody. Young and hipster...not really my thing anymore either but I make due here for the moment. The type of person who moves to Bay Ridge I can see probably not digging it either.
Yeah, it's definitely not for everyone. Still gritty and not exactly a normal neighborhood for a typical family. But ideal if you're young and hip/artsy.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:21 AM

16 posts, read 22,357 times
Cause its cool and trendy. I work in Bushwick and I really don't get the appeal. Its kind of grimey, but at the same time hot yoga and fancy vegan restaurants are opening up. I will concur with the OP that Bay Ridge is much nicer and much more affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City