U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 05:47 PM

200 posts, read 249,819 times

Advertisements

guys

i know a full bath is illegal in NYC 5 boroughs in the basement. How about a 1/2 bath?

Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 05:49 PM

19,561 posts, read 34,647,015 times
2 fixture bathroom - sink and toilet (cellar)
3 fixture bathroom - shower, sink and toilet (basement)

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-30-2015, 05:52 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,140,428 times
I had asked this a while back on another thread about illegal apartments, etc. My mom's house has a full bathroom in the basement (my parents finished the basement 30 or so years ago). No kitchen, no separate entrance, no separation of quarters really from the upstairs (main living floor) than the stairs. The basement has a laundry room, living room, bathroom, 2 bedrooms and a workshop/utility room thing.

Would this bathroom be considered illegal? Sucks if so.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:31 AM

21,452 posts, read 28,329,018 times
I think with no kitchen any inspector would look the other way.

Old 07-03-2015, 04:11 PM

19,561 posts, read 34,647,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I think with no kitchen any inspector would look the other way.
wrong!

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-03-2015, 08:59 PM

Well, let's hope an inspector never shows up. Wouldn't have any reason to, as the space has only ever occupied immediate family. It's very obviously not a separate apartment, just an extension of the main living space.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:11 AM

415 posts, read 340,730 times
if you're using the basement as a legitimate part of the rest of the house with no locking doors or separate ingress/egress…you can put a hot tub down there and a bowling alley down and nobody will know or care.

If you're trying to turn your place into a flop house then you will eventually have a beef with your tenant and they will rat you out as part of the back and forth.

So, the key phrase is legitimate. Is your basement really a duplex and a real extension of the rest of the house (or, the first floor for a legal 2 family)?

A word of caution: The city HATES live gas ***** (why can't i write "gas c.o.c.k." - are we 4 years old???) in basements so be careful with stoves and ovens. Big no, no.

Always remember 99% of code violations are initiated by dime dropping or will be triggered during title transfer from a sale.

"Cellars" are different and defined by depth from grade and / or window height.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:43 AM

Sounds good. We should be fine, as it is legitimate living space for the family, not a separate apartment. The only separate egress are the basement doors, which are not used for daily entrance/exit. Only when we're moving crap in and out of the boiler room/workshop.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:49 AM

200 posts, read 249,819 times
problem with me is that i have to call 311 to complain about my neighbor's yard being too high and the water & soil are coming through causing humidity in my basement. I'm not sure if they'll actually come in to inspect but there is a chance. I just bought the home and it doesn't look like the basement had a rental space but surely does have a full bath. I don't plan to rent out anything in my home. I'm wondering if it's worth the risk to call DOB to do an inspection - if they feel neighbor needs to fix his yard, they'll write him a complaint and he needs to fix it or establish a barrier so his rainwater isn't coming through

Old 07-08-2015, 07:59 AM

88 posts, read 90,760 times
OP, unless your next door neighbor intentionally graded his property to slope towards your property you have no case. If the properties were built in that fashion the 311 inspector will tell you to place a drain along your property. Now if there is a retaining wall and the wall is failing or falling down then you may be able to have your neighbor repair it. Otherwise it will be up to you to divert the water away from your property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or