U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 10:31 AM

1,117 posts, read 970,593 times

Advertisements

looking for a new place to rent with a budget of about $2200/mo for a 1br

i am considering morningside, washington heights or inwood, can you guys give some insight into each?

how is parking, generally speaking, in these two areas? how about a reverse commute into White Plains? how long should that normally take in the mornings, say around 6:30am?

thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 11:29 AM

4,139 posts, read 5,955,562 times
I can't speak to the commute personally, though I''d imagine a reverse commute at that early hour would quick and painless.

But parking in Morningside and Washington Heights generally sucks. If you are using your car regularly you pretty much have to pony up for a garage, which will be $250+ each month. Otherwise you can waste a lot of time circling the blocks looking for a legal parking space at night., and even then you might not get one.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:36 AM

576 posts, read 464,105 times
Your commute to White Plains shouldn't be bad at all at that time. You would have various options to get there also. The Henry Hudson Pkwy will take you up to I287, so does the Major Deegan (I87) and the Hutchinson Parkway. The Deegan is probably your best option, and traffice shouldn't be a problem going North.

Parking is an issue everywhere in NYC. I don't think one area is "worse" than another. I guess if you're going into work so early, you might be getting out a little early too, if that's the case, you can beat the crowd back home and get a spot.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:35 PM

102 posts, read 152,951 times
I did the reverse commute for years. West Side highway (Henry Hudson Parkway)>Cross County>Deegan/Bronx River/Sprain/Hutch depending on traffic and where specifically you are going in White Plains. You can do it in 30 minutes door to door at that time in the morning.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboriginie View Post
I did the reverse commute for years. West Side highway (Henry Hudson Parkway)>Cross County>Deegan/Bronx River/Sprain/Hutch depending on traffic and where specifically you are going in White Plains. You can do it in 30 minutes door to door at that time in the morning.
wow that is really solid. where were you living?

we're in dobbs ferry now and finding it WAY too quiet for our tastes. granted upper manhattan isn't exactly the most ideal place in the world, we figure it'd be better than where we are now.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:19 PM

138 posts, read 150,517 times
We like living in Marble Hill, just north of Inwood. My spouse commutes north by car and I take the 1 train into the city. There aren't a lot of rentals--best to find something in a private home. The apartment buildings are hit or miss. If you're getting out early in the morning, you can avoid the reverse side parking rules, which are mainly what make parking in that neighborhood such a hassle.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by versicle View Post
We like living in Marble Hill, just north of Inwood. My spouse commutes north by car and I take the 1 train into the city. There aren't a lot of rentals--best to find something in a private home. The apartment buildings are hit or miss. If you're getting out early in the morning, you can avoid the reverse side parking rules, which are mainly what make parking in that neighborhood such a hassle.
is there anything to do around there though? bars, restaurants, etc.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:26 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,699,828 times
East side of Broadway Ft George here. Just spent until 3 AM last nite (work nite) lying awake listening to the local neerdowells playing dominoes. They've recently ramped up the annoyingness content of this game. Just slamming the domino down as hard as possible is now passe...you also have to bellow the spanglish equivalent of BOOYAH! or as the Jamaicans say, BUP BUP BUP!

Old 07-01-2015, 02:39 PM

138 posts, read 150,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
is there anything to do around there though? bars, restaurants, etc.
There are a couple of good bars, if that's your thing--Bronx Alehouse for microbrews and P&K Grille for your old school dive bar. There are some good restaurants within walking distance in Inwood. Inwood Hill Park and Van Cortlandt Park are both very close, for hiking and other outdoor activities. Just depends on what you're looking for. We go into Manhattan for fine dining and cultural entertainment (museums, concerts, etc.)

Old 07-01-2015, 08:12 PM

2,257 posts, read 2,629,464 times
I dont really work that area but over the last 6 months ive put a dude in a studio for $1450 a single woman in a 1br for $1595, another single woman in a 1br for $1800, a couple in a 3br for $2995 and they are far from natives-locals and havent heard a complaint yet. This ranges from 163st-177st.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or