Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 09:18 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
No, you happen to be wrong on both assumptions. But, regardless, do you feel people have to support every single issue that a friend supports, and do you feel that people's opinions should be based on who their friends are?

Of all the many issues facing the country, I just feel that something like black citizens being gunned down is more important than gay citizens not marrying. And, no, I'm not black, either.
Why does one injustice invalidate another? I think society can deal with basic civil rights for gay people *and* racist policing. There is no need to visit one issue at a time--we can multitask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 09:27 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Tax purposes, job benefit/insurance purposes, and of course custody and insurance purposes.
All minimal and just used as excuses for same sex marriage. The real and only reason is who is anyone to tell someone else that they can't do what they want to do when it has absolutely no consequence on the other.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
It won't ever happen like that.

I seriously doubt you'd ever have the same percentage of LGBT people getting married as straight people and those that really do get married would be married because they really want to be married to the person.

There's certainly no social pressure of LGBT people to marry. Unlike that for straight people.

In laws often aren't really a factor in gay marriages either since gay relationships are often kept separate from their families (in some cases one or both of the gay partners may have been discarded by the family).
Many times people realize they shouldn't have gotten married to someone else until it is too late. At which point so much has been invested to the point of it really just being a business relationship more than anything else.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:45 PM

7 posts, read 5,766 times
What does black criminals getting shot (thank god and the wonderful NYPD) have to do with gays being able to legally marry?

Old 07-04-2015, 06:51 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Anyone who believes that a 20-something gay male, unless extremely submissive, would want the commitment of marriage likely also believes that a timber wolf will eat green beans; this is a raid on the public treasury for the benefit of aging gay couples who've blown their chances, and little more.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:09 PM

518 posts, read 825,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Anyone who believes that a 20-something gay male, unless extremely submissive, would want the commitment of marriage likely also believes that a timber wolf will eat green beans; this is a raid on the public treasury for the benefit of aging gay couples who've blown their chances, and little more.
The 20 year old, submissive or not, might just marry some rich old fart and hope for a speedy death or a generous settlement at the divorce.

I agree, aging gay couples will be the immediate beneficiaries of legal gay marriage, but the devil in the details may prove to be gay divorce. Gay marriage is so new, even in the states where it has existed, that there is little tracking on the divorces and proponents of gay marriage would rather treat the divorces as a separate issue. Divorces have long been considered a serious aspect of straight marriages. A divorce can't happen unless there was a marriage. They would seem to be connected, but many people recently seen dancing down 5th in their underwear waving a rainbow flag bristle at the mention of gay divorce.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:10 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
All minimal and just used as excuses for same sex marriage. The real and only reason is who is anyone to tell someone else that they can't do what they want to do when it has absolutely no consequence on the other.
I have never known any gay couples like this. Ever.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Another person mentioned the possibility of a 20 something year old (and not necessarily a submissive one) might marry a rich old fart and be ready to collect the $$$$$ should he pass on.

I actually have known gay 20 something year olds who are married. I am friends with a young couple who are married under 30. Both men. I've known other married couples too.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Many times people realize they shouldn't have gotten married to someone else until it is too late. At which point so much has been invested to the point of it really just being a business relationship more than anything else.

Are you projecting your relationship with your wife onto gay couples?

I have never known any gay couples like the ones you just described. Certainly there's no rush for a gay couple to get legally married.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
I have never known any gay couples like this. Ever.
It doesn't matter anyway. But who are you to say someone can't get married?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City