Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 12:28 PM

100 posts, read 195,407 times

Advertisements

So equal rights right? So now can we carry guns in nyc? Thats an equal right dontcha think? Can i have 2 or more wives now? Equal rights for polygamists
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 12:55 PM

5,206 posts, read 4,668,615 times
The only impact the Supreme court ruling had on my life as a straight person is seeing a bunch of rainbow colored profile pictures in Facebook.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:45 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I think the point is that there is the equivalent to what is called something like "donor fatigue" or "compassion fatigue." There is a finite amount of money, of people, and really even of attention span, in a way. Multitasking has been shown to be a myth in our workday life, and I suspect it's the same in our activism life.

It seems to me that logically a person would theoretically do best spending on what will entail the biggest benefits for the greatest amount of people. The number of gay is smaller than the number of blacks, which in turn is smaller than the number of women. Yes, there are all kinds of benefits to marriage, but partial obstacles to marriage seems to me a lesser injustice than barriers to voting for black citizens.

It's kind of sadly amusing to me that now there's agitation on behalf of transgendered discrimination, which I assume is probably even a smaller subset of people.

There's several things you overlook.

Since gays are of all races, it's not unreasonable to think that the judges from the supreme court and other top officials have gay relatives and friends. Former Vice President Dick Cheney had a lesbian daughter. So in that since gays (particularly white gays) can benefit from white gay privilege.

Black citizens have been voting en masse since the 60s. I'm Black and I vote.

Lastly constitutional rights are not based on the number of people affected. They are based on how the courts interpret what is written in the constitution. There is nothing in the constitution that says gays cannot marry, so the Supreme Court struck down those laws.

As for discrimination against transgenders, no matter how small the population it is wrong to discriminate.

And btw, Blacks are only 12% of the population, a number that may shrink with rapidly growing Asian and Hispanic population, plus many Blacks marry non Blacks. Does the fact that the self identified Black population isn't growing much make Blacks less worthy of protection? It does according to your ridiculous logic.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:09 PM

26 posts, read 62,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I think the point is that there is the equivalent to what is called something like "donor fatigue" or "compassion fatigue." There is a finite amount of money, of people, and really even of attention span, in a way. Multitasking has been shown to be a myth in our workday life, and I suspect it's the same in our activism life.

It seems to me that logically a person would theoretically do best spending on what will entail the biggest benefits for the greatest amount of people. The number of gay is smaller than the number of blacks, which in turn is smaller than the number of women. Yes, there are all kinds of benefits to marriage, but partial obstacles to marriage seems to me a lesser injustice than barriers to voting for black citizens.

It's kind of sadly amusing to me that now there's agitation on behalf of transgendered discrimination, which I assume is probably even a smaller subset of people.
WTF type of crack are you on? Complaining because gays have marriage rights? Last time I checked black people and women could get married....

Old 07-08-2015, 07:52 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
Quote:

Since gays are of all races, it's not unreasonable to think that the judges
from the supreme court and other top officials have gay relatives and friends.
Former Vice President Dick Cheney had a lesbian daughter.
And don't forget that Clarence Thomas keeps a beautiful ebony stud (13") named Tyrone in his Summer house.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:06 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,400,569 times
Gays are weird. They are more attracted to another man's butthole than a woman's vagina. That's crazy.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:52 AM

19,037 posts, read 13,948,655 times
Haha for once we agree!

But as weird as I think it is to crave butt, gay Americans deserve every single right enshrined in the Constitution. You're either for freedom or you aren't. There's no leeway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City