Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 10:03 PM

749 posts, read 2,451,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian_Stallion View Post
no money in the world is worth giving up that many hours of my life for some **** i dont even like

whats the point of having material things if youre miserable
What's worse is they don't even have time to enjoy the material things. If you're working 80-100 hours a week consistently, you're sacrificing too much of your personal life and relationships to justify the extra money. The hours get better as you move up or move to the buy side, but they are still pretty bad, like 60 hours minimum.

I would rather get a job where I can make a lot without working too much or working in a stressful environment. Or make less but really love my job. Time is the most precious commodity - money can't make up for time spent hating your life.

Sales and trading has much better hours that follow the market and they can make tons and tons if they're good. Credit analysts, equity research, portfolio managers etc make a good amount and have less demanding hours. Strategy consultants, even senior people in the big 4 or other professional services consulting companies, IT or pharma sales account execs or directors / VPs at big companies can make decent money ($200-300k). In my opinion, if you're only working 50-60 hours a week and making $200k, you've got it made. Sure you're not making millions like the wall street hot shots, but you can afford a nice apartment, nice trips, eat well, enjoy your hobbies etc. Life is good at that level. Sure you could be making even more but a bigger apartment, more expensive car, nicer hotels etc don't personally increase my happiness level - you just eventually get used to it like anything else.

Again, if you're doing something you actually love and it doesn't feel like work at all, but at the same time can make at least $200k in a high COL city like NYC, then you really have it made. Most people make tons of money are slaves to jobs that they don't truly enjoy and wouldn't be doing if the pay wasn't good and don't have enough time to enjoy their money anyway. I'd rather be comfortable and enjoying my limited time 100% because the extra money I could be making by working more hours isn't worth the lost time that I could've spent with loved ones, traveling, doing my hobbies, and just relaxing and not being stressed at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 03:09 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,827,999 times
Air traffic control at a major hub airport or traffic dense enroute radar sector, beat police officer in Chicago, big city ambulance crews are a few that come to mind.

Old 07-11-2015, 04:26 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,298,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
What's worse is they don't even have time to enjoy the material things. If you're working 80-100 hours a week consistently, you're sacrificing too much of your personal life and relationships to justify the extra money. The hours get better as you move up or move to the buy side, but they are still pretty bad, like 60 hours minimum.

I would rather get a job where I can make a lot without working too much or working in a stressful environment. Or make less but really love my job. Time is the most precious commodity - money can't make up for time spent hating your life.

Sales and trading has much better hours that follow the market and they can make tons and tons if they're good. Credit analysts, equity research, portfolio managers etc make a good amount and have less demanding hours. Strategy consultants, even senior people in the big 4 or other professional services consulting companies, IT or pharma sales account execs or directors / VPs at big companies can make decent money ($200-300k). In my opinion, if you're only working 50-60 hours a week and making $200k, you've got it made. Sure you're not making millions like the wall street hot shots, but you can afford a nice apartment, nice trips, eat well, enjoy your hobbies etc. Life is good at that level. Sure you could be making even more but a bigger apartment, more expensive car, nicer hotels etc don't personally increase my happiness level - you just eventually get used to it like anything else.

Again, if you're doing something you actually love and it doesn't feel like work at all, but at the same time can make at least $200k in a high COL city like NYC, then you really have it made. Most people make tons of money are slaves to jobs that they don't truly enjoy and wouldn't be doing if the pay wasn't good and don't have enough time to enjoy their money anyway. I'd rather be comfortable and enjoying my limited time 100% because the extra money I could be making by working more hours isn't worth the lost time that I could've spent with loved ones, traveling, doing my hobbies, and just relaxing and not being stressed at work.
This is the truth of life. For some of us we work all of our lives to have a home, a car or two, a family and all the "fixtures" that go with living even a modest lifestyle and it can be costly. Costly in the sense of what we may sacrifice to have the life we want and the lifestyle to go with it.

My only sage advice is to skip the "kicks and giggles" and learn something truly valuable in the "Wall Street" career you've chosen. Save, save, save and invest your hard earned dollars wisely so that when you finally reach the pinnacle of success you have more available options and a variety of skills to go with it.

“The cost of a thing is the amount of...life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.”

Henry David Thoreau

Old 07-11-2015, 04:33 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,451,950 times
I am sure this will all be blamed on the Jews.The Jews own all the investment banking firm and all the media and Hollywood can't wait for the laugh.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:29 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,997,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I am sure this will all be blamed on the Jews.The Jews own all the investment banking firm and all the media and Hollywood can't wait for the laugh.
They don't call it Jew York City for nothing! Jews run the Federal Reserve.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:58 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,894,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I am sure this will all be blamed on the Jews.
Ironically, there may be truth to that. I've read that a century go, when WASPs dominated law firms and investment firms, hours were shorter -- banker's hours -- and behavior was more genteel. To be overly loud or aggressive was considered low class.

Jews came to dominate these formerly WASP professions because Jews worked harder, worked longer hours, and pushed more aggressively for business.

WASPs disliked the "pushy Jews" who were aggressively competing for the same business, and tried to bar them from their Ivy League and country clubs and investment firms. They didn't want to compete by working harder or longer. Instead, they tried to maintain their genteel, low-stress lifestyle by barring the competition.

Anti-discrimination laws ended that.

As Jews entered the formerly WASP professions, they compelled everyone to work longer hours, because capitalism rewards the most efficient. Today the hours are longer, but Wall Street is (in theory) more efficient.

Old 07-12-2015, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
Ironically, there may be truth to that. I've read that a century go, when WASPs dominated law firms and investment firms, hours were shorter -- banker's hours -- and behavior was more genteel. To be overly loud or aggressive was considered low class.

Jews came to dominate these formerly WASP professions because Jews worked harder, worked longer hours, and pushed more aggressively for business.

WASPs disliked the "pushy Jews" who were aggressively competing for the same business, and tried to bar them from their Ivy League and country clubs and investment firms. They didn't want to compete by working harder or longer. Instead, they tried to maintain their genteel, low-stress lifestyle by barring the competition.

As Jews entered the formerly WASP professions, they compelled everyone to work longer hours, because capitalism rewards the most efficient. Today the hours are longer, but Wall Street is (in theory) more efficient.
The only thing wasps control is government and a corporations but banking in this country is controlled by Jews in NYC. City college was once called the Jewish Harvard.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:36 AM

515 posts, read 873,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The only thing wasps control is government and a corporations but banking in this country is controlled by Jews in NYC. City college was once called the Jewish Harvard.
If you think this country is run by WASP's you're outta your mind. America is a Jewish state for the benefit of the Jewish people. It gets milked for every penny by the Israeli Jews. If you think otherwise you are just another ignorant idiot. Judging from you're username you're from the Bronx and Guyanese and you're most likely programed to hate white people, and rightfully so, but people like you often hate the wrong white person.

Government = Jewish
Corporations = Jewish
Banks = Jewish
Real Estate = Jewish

Old 07-12-2015, 05:53 AM

1,491 posts, read 2,232,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post

Read some histories of 19th century finance such as that of Matthew Josephson's classic "The Robber Barons" and the tale of the Erie War if you think pushy aggressiveness is a modern Jewish invention. "Bankers hours" had as much to do with the heavily regulated banking culture after the Depression and ww2 as anything.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkub101 View Post
If you think this country is run by WASP's you're outta your mind. America is a Jewish state for the benefit of the Jewish people. It gets milked for every penny by the Israeli Jews. If you think otherwise you are just another ignorant idiot. Judging from you're username you're from the Bronx and Guyanese and you're most likely programed to hate white people, and rightfully so, but people like you often hate the wrong white person.

Government = Jewish
Corporations = Jewish
Banks = Jewish
Real Estate = Jewish
. I'm laughing my rocks off towards your idiotic assumption response. Your too funny. How can I hate white people while 2/3 of genetics is Britannic and Iberian? Go read some Howard zinn before you respond back to me you troll. Rockefeller, gates, David Koch, Warren buffet are not Jews, Bush family are not Jews, house of Morgan are not Jews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City