U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2015, 04:15 PM

199 posts, read 247,620 times

Advertisements

Guys

Couple of questions here if someone is from Queens, NYC

1) I need to take out some grass out of my front yard and put concrete in to create 2 parking spots. From what I know, DOB only requires you to retain 20% of your front yard for grass or plants. With the work I'm doing, I'm only going to place concrete on about 50%

2) Will this increase my taxes? Once you file a permit, does it automatically trigger NYC Finance to come visit and assess your home for property taxes?

3) Lastly, what sort of architect fees can I expect to pay to file this basic permit with plan? Are there any other expediters I can use who are cheaper than architects? Can't find any on yelp so if someone has a name I can use, that'll help

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 08:40 AM

19 posts, read 16,302 times
You would need to apply for a curbcut permit through dept. of transportation and buildings. There are very strict guidelines for this on how wide/long the parking spots may be as well as their proximity to the street and front of the house. A lot do it illegally and if you are caught you will have to have it repaved. Someone tried to this in my area illegally, got caught months after the fact and had to re-do everything. Probably paid a fine too.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:35 PM

199 posts, read 247,620 times
I don't need to cut my curb as I know that's very tough to get permission for. I will simply drive my car onto the front yard through my driveway. I just want to convert part of my front yard in the R2 zone I am in into concrete as parking on grass isn't allowed

Old 07-10-2015, 09:53 PM

2,853 posts, read 6,486,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam007 View Post
I don't need to cut my curb as I know that's very tough to get permission for. I will simply drive my car onto the front yard through my driveway. I just want to convert part of my front yard in the R2 zone I am in into concrete as parking on grass isn't allowed
I believe it's illegal to just concrete over your grass and park there...

Old 07-11-2015, 09:39 PM

279 posts, read 680,176 times
Quote:
that little front yard thing between the road and your sidewalk might be city property.

If you are taking about the side yard, the yard between the house and sidewalk, then i think you might be ok.

Article 2 chapter 5:
25-15
Maximum Spaces for Single Family Detached Residences
R1 R2 R3 R4 R5 R6 R7 R8 R9 R10
In all districts, as indicated, not more than three off street parking spaces shall be provided for a #single-family detached residence#, except on #zoning lots# with a #lot area# of 10,000 square feet or more. For the purposes of this Section, a driveway shall not be considered as off street parking space.

Old 06-09-2019, 04:01 PM

3 posts, read 688 times
Quote:
Guys

Couple of questions here if someone is from Queens, NYC

1) I need to take out some grass out of my front yard and put concrete in to create 2 parking spots. From what I know, DOB only requires you to retain 20% of your front yard for grass or plants. With the work I'm doing, I'm only going to place concrete on about 50%

2) Will this increase my taxes? Once you file a permit, does it automatically trigger NYC Finance to come visit and assess your home for property taxes?

3) Lastly, what sort of architect fees can I expect to pay to file this basic permit with plan? Are there any other expediters I can use who are cheaper than architects? Can't find any on yelp so if someone has a name I can use, that'll help

Thanks
I'm wondering the same thing! Did you ever get an answer to this?
We aren't referring to the property between sidewalk and street, we are talking about a patch of grass between the driveway and walkway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City