Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 08:25 AM

5,208 posts, read 4,666,583 times

Advertisements

Report: Average Cost Of Rent Is Going DOWN In Queens: Gothamist

Some study says the average cost of rent is going down in Queens while Brooklyn is getting ever more expensive. I can kind of see this happening since very few neighborhoods in Queens are considered hip by transplants. In your experience, is this happening in Queens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 08:41 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,116 times
I would put Gothamist in the same tier as NY post in terms of lack of credibility and more of a tabloid style journalism. The real estate blog curbed offers a more comprehensive summary of the information.

It's Time to Stop Thinking About Brooklyn & Queens As Cheap - Market Reports - Curbed NY

Quote:
Although Queens once provided less expensive rents, prices in the borough's western neighborhoods are still holding their weight despite a slight lag in rising prices. While the median rent hasn't risen in a few months, that doesn't have to do with a lack of demand; it just means that more studio and one-bedroom apartments are making their way onto the market, which traditionally cost less than apartments with two bedrooms or more. Being that prospective buyers across the city have largely been priced out of Manhattan and Brooklyn, it makes sense that smaller "starter" apartments are on the up and up in Queens. Although median prices in the borough have been down for a few months, median sales prices rose a whole 8.5 percent year-over-year from $355,000 to $385,001.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:49 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Gothamist is a newspaper for transplants like the village voice and DNA info. I rather read the liberal NY times than read this comical crap.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:00 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post

Some study says the average cost of rent is going down in Queens while Brooklyn is getting ever more expensive. I can kind of see this happening since very few neighborhoods in Queens are considered hip by transplants. In your experience, is this happening in Queens?
It's not my experience. I live in "West Queens" although not exactly a hip location. Still, the rents have definitely been going up. A few years ago you could rent a studio in the central part of my neighborhood (considered the best area within the neighborhood for amenities and access to trains) for $1100 to $1200. Now I'm seeing studios for $1500 to $1650. This might not sound high when you're comparing to hip parts of Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Long Island City, but it's definitely an increase.

I've noticed when you read these types of reports, you really have to look at how they are gathering and spinning the data. They manage to make it about whatever they want to make it. Numbers are pretty easy to manipulate if you start with your message and then look to see how you can get the data to back up what you want to say.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:29 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Gothamist is a newspaper for transplants like the village voice and DNA info. I rather read the liberal NY times than read this comical crap.
Really? I don't know much about DNAinfo, but I always thought of Gothamist and the VV as authentic NY media.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:51 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,304,277 times
The word 'hip' is a red herring. Mostly used by baby boomer real estate people trying to make depressing outer boro hoods seem appealing.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:30 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,941,677 times
Not the case in rego park.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:46 AM

457 posts, read 736,802 times
I check real estate listing everyday and they don't seem to be going down to me. Plus, some of those 100 year old red brick buildings actually have the gaul to charge $2,500.00 and up for a non-gut renovated apartment. Those prices are reaching luxury high rise condo prices and for the same prices, one might as well live in the luxury high rise condo with a doorman, gym, and other amenities then be reduced to a red brick building with no elevators, neighbors who have lived there over 50 years, are hoarders, pay under $500 in rent, and are harboring bed bugs. Oh, and let's not forget the building will most likely not have a laundry room in the red brick ones.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:15 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLotteryGurl View Post
I check real estate listing everyday and they don't seem to be going down to me. Plus, some of those 100 year old red brick buildings actually have the gaul to charge $2,500.00 and up for a non-gut renovated apartment. Those prices are reaching luxury high rise condo prices and for the same prices, one might as well live in the luxury high rise condo with a doorman, gym, and other amenities then be reduced to a red brick building with no elevators, neighbors who have lived there over 50 years, are hoarders, pay under $500 in rent, and are harboring bed bugs. Oh, and let's not forget the building will most likely not have a laundry room in the red brick ones.
What happened to your other screen name, q41apartments? Both your screen names talk about the same stuff -- bedbugs, overpriced apartments in Astoria, old-timers who pay less than new residents, lottery apartments.

I wonder why you couldn't just stick to one screen name since it's all the same over and over again. Did you get banned with your first screen name?

Old 07-10-2015, 11:24 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post

Not at all in Western or Central Queens. Big parts of Eastern Queens have poor train coverage.

But back to Brooklyn, big parts of Brooklyn have not gentrified and won't gentrify. East and South Brooklyn in particular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: