Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 06:26 AM

44 posts, read 44,815 times

Advertisements

Hello!

We are considering to move in NJ and are going a bunch of research. There are many knowledgeable people on this forum and I would really appreciative your advice. Here is some information about me

Where are you coming from?
Outside of US (not looking for any particular community, diversity is preferred)

Why are you moving?
Work

Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC?
in NYC, Manhattan, 6 ave & 25th street (a couple of blocks from Path train)

Will you buy or rent?
Considering both options (if what we see on web for sale is true)

What is your budget ?
Budget for rent $3K, budget for buying $200K (we think whether it would be worth to buy a 2 bedroom apt instead of resting since we have some free money)

What kind of place are you looking for?
2 bedroom 1 bathroom apartment, not large in a safe area with short commute

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you?
Spouse & a 5 year old kid

Do you need/want good public schools?
Preferred. But can consider a private school for a reasonable pricing (i read there are some up to 10k)

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
Safe, good for families with children, some proximity to park or green arena is preferred, short commute to Manhattan

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.
1. safe place, good for rising a child
2. commute to Manhattan should be around 40 min door to door (ready to compromise on the price of apartment rather then commute)
2. schools (a good public school or a reasonable priced private school). Under a good public school I mean not a top performing school with highest rating, but a nice family type school with caring teachers. My kid is not a top performer at the moment and has no desire to learn, so I am looking for a place that would focus on his personality development and would be patient with such kind of students

I am seeking for some advice on the following:
1. place to live - I am a working mom, we take shifts with my husband. He would start work early and get free at lunch to pick up a kid from school. I would be dropping him at school and then go to work, so my commute really needs to be about 40 min. I was looking at places along the PATH train. Could you please advice if there are certain areas over there that are of a lower crime and could be nice to live? I was particularly thinking to rent an apt in Paulus Hook or West Side of Jersey city
2. I also looked through some property for sale and see that Jersey city has some in the range of 150-200K. Is it true or these listings were frauds?
3. schools - i read a lot of reviews about schools and the majority is pretty negative. Could someone please recommend a specific school within my commute time that matches my explanation above? Or a private school as I mentioned

would really appreciate any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 12:49 PM

I apologize, i have posted it in a wrong forum. moderators, please remove it. I will transfer it to the right location

Old 07-12-2015, 04:28 PM

457 posts, read 737,086 times
Actually there are a lot of nice places in Jersey City like Pavonia Newport, Exchange Place, Hoboken, etc. But those are the rather expensive areas, but you'll definitely feel more happy and it's only about 4 stops from your job. There's also edgewater and West NY, NJ. Great areas with stores and healthy atmosphere etc.

The unpleasant places with cheaper rent would be Journal square. Depends on if you want to spend money to be in a vibrant area that makes you happy or be in Journal square and witness unpleasant things with the trade off of cheaper rent.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:44 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Visit NEWPORT...absolutely beautiful place to live and you can be at work in 20 minutes. Shopping is terrific and you might be able to jettison the car...we did.
Alas, Jersey City Public schools suck.

Your rental estimate is pretty good, but $200,000 won't get you anything tolerable in a two bedroom this close to Manhattan or anywhere decent in the Metro area.

Last edited by Kefir King; 07-13-2015 at 07:54 AM..

Old 07-13-2015, 11:33 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
Your rental budget (though not a purchase budget) would be good to find a 2 bedrm in Hudson Heights, the part of Manhattan closet to the Hudson river and directly north of the George Washington Bridge.

The neighborhood is calm, quiet, safe, pretty and family oriented, with all the necessities --supermarket, drug store, bank, dry cleaners--within walking distance. Plus there are also a few decent restaurants and bars in this area. It is a solid middle-class, non-trendy neighborhood.

Your commute on the A train (express) will time in at 40 minutes according to Google (from the 190th and Ft. Washington Ave stop) and this seems about right to me.

Most important, unlike Jersey City, the locally zoned public school is quite good. I've know parents who sent their kids there and were quite pleased with PS 187/Hudson Cliffs. It's very traditional in vibe and curriculum, but safe, pleasant, somewhat diverse, and reasonably high-performing.

Last edited by citylove101; 07-13-2015 at 11:50 AM..

Old 07-13-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Visit NEWPORT...absolutely beautiful place to live and you can be at work in 20 minutes. Shopping is terrific and you might be able to jettison the car...we did.
Alas, Jersey City Public schools suck.

Your rental estimate is pretty good, but $200,000 won't get you anything tolerable in a two bedroom this close to Manhattan or anywhere decent in the Metro area.

Not totally true. You can probably still get a 2 bedroom for that in Ft. Lee, though likely not in the larger buildings directly on the Palisades. Ft. Lee has good schools and a small walkable downtown. I would have recommended it to OP except that it would fall outside her strict 40-minute commute time, and living in the 'burbs she'd also need a car.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:21 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:

You can probably still get a 2 bedroom for that in Ft. Lee
None that I see:

Condos For Sale

And the difference in time getting to 26th and Sixth will be astounding.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:47 PM

Look at the Zillow site. There are several 2 bedrooms listed for under $200,000. Some in nicer buildings than I would have thought. Many are co-ops, not condos.

But l do agree, with a 40 minute time limit on the commute, Ft. Lee is a no-go.

Last edited by citylove101; 07-13-2015 at 10:01 PM..

Old 07-14-2015, 05:27 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Your rental budget (though not a purchase budget) would be good to find a 2 bedrm in Hudson Heights, the part of Manhattan closet to the Hudson river and directly north of the George Washington Bridge.

The neighborhood is calm, quiet, safe, pretty and family oriented, with all the necessities --supermarket, drug store, bank, dry cleaners--within walking distance. Plus there are also a few decent restaurants and bars in this area. It is a solid middle-class, non-trendy neighborhood.

Your commute on the A train (express) will time in at 40 minutes according to Google (from the 190th and Ft. Washington Ave stop) and this seems about right to me.

Most important, unlike Jersey City, the locally zoned public school is quite good. I've know parents who sent their kids there and were quite pleased with PS 187/Hudson Cliffs. It's very traditional in vibe and curriculum, but safe, pleasant, somewhat diverse, and reasonably high-performing.
Renting is within budget there, but apartments have gotten really expensive to buy - most 2 bedrooms are in the 600K range now. It is a really pretty neighborhood though. The commute time is probably pushing it however.

Maybe Jersey City with private school, or increase commute time and do something like Woodlawn close to the Metro North station. Commuting costs would be greater though since you'd have to buy the metro north pass. However, you'd have the budget to buy an apartment there, and prices for everything would be a bit cheaper (like childcare). The public school is good and it's a cute neighborhood.

4295 Webster Ave APT 5F, Bronx, NY 10470 is For Sale | Zillow

Last edited by yodel; 07-14-2015 at 05:40 AM..

Old 07-14-2015, 03:59 PM

wow, thank you so much! I posted it in wrong forum and did not expect so many replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLotteryGurl View Post
Depends on if you want to spend money to be in a vibrant area that makes you happy or be in Journal square and witness unpleasant things with the trade off of cheaper rent.
I would be definitely more willing to spend money than to live in unpleasant neighborhood.

I am seriously considering NJ + a private school. I read some good stuff bout OLC Little Harbor Academy or Early Learning Academy. And they both seem to be within my budget

I also took a look at Fort Lee, it looks like a really good place to live. Google says that commute is about 5o min (5 min on a buss + 35 on a subway, everything else is walk). It is close to reality or it takes longer?

I am so grateful for all the replies, thank you so much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City