Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 07:47 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,797,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Really? How so?
I pretty much explained it in the next sentence. And nowhere did I say the area was hood but that it has a hood feel. Two different things. People who grew up in a hood would know what I'm talking about. I was just surprised to see it there. I don't pass by too often so it took me by surprise when I went to visit some people over there. The area was close to Woodside Projects but a little further down and it's listed as Elmhurst, Queens. Again, the area itself isn't bad at all but the vibe with the big apartment buildings dominating certain blocks and the crowd gave me a similar vibe to like a Springfield Gardens/Jamaica Queens area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 11:28 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,279,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
I pretty much explained it in the next sentence. And nowhere did I say the area was hood but that it has a hood feel. Two different things. People who grew up in a hood would know what I'm talking about. I was just surprised to see it there. I don't pass by too often so it took me by surprise when I went to visit some people over there. The area was close to Woodside Projects but a little further down and it's listed as Elmhurst, Queens. Again, the area itself isn't bad at all but the vibe with the big apartment buildings dominating certain blocks and the crowd gave me a similar vibe to like a Springfield Gardens/Jamaica Queens area.
If its the area by the Pan-American Hotel, I could see why there would be a hood feel around there. You have to be from the hood to stay there. The typical poor immigrant from Elmhurst is on their own.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:30 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,432,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
I haven't seen the crowd there so I can't speak on that but I don't think big ugly apartment buildings alone make an area hood.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:56 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,042,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
If its the area by the Pan-American Hotel, I could see why there would be a hood feel around there. You have to be from the hood to stay there. The typical poor immigrant from Elmhurst is on their own.
I never went to the area by Pan-American, but I do recall that Elmhurst was actually considered one of the better parts of Queens in the 80s before gentrification flooded out the hoodlums from the slums near Manhattan. I use to ride the Q58 to Macy's where the Bestbuy is at now and I think it was an A&S where Macy's in now at Queens Center. By the late 80s/early 90s at the latest, it was half a Chinatown on Broadway north of Queens Blvd. It definitely wasn't dangerous by any standard.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:18 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,895,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
I never went to the area by Pan-American, but I do recall that Elmhurst was actually considered one of the better parts of Queens in the 80s before gentrification flooded out the hoodlums from the slums near Manhattan. I use to ride the Q58 to Macy's where the Bestbuy is at now and I think it was an A&S where Macy's in now at Queens Center. By the late 80s/early 90s at the latest, it was half a Chinatown on Broadway north of Queens Blvd. It definitely wasn't dangerous by any standard.
It still isn't dangerous. It's a mostly Asian neighborhood. Working class to middle class. You don't have public housing there and few buildings there accept government programs (outside of the hotel that is now a welfare motel).

Old 07-22-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It still isn't dangerous. It's a mostly Asian neighborhood. Working class to middle class. You don't have public housing there and few buildings there accept government programs (outside of the hotel that is now a welfare motel).
Correct, but there are actually more Latinos than Asians

Old 07-22-2015, 08:24 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,895,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
How could one shelter make that strip hood? Now if they put in multiple shelter I could see your point and that would be horrible.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:34 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,042,204 times
Quote:
Correct, but there are actually more Latinos than Asians
From what I can recall looking around while driving and I don't go there often anymore, I would say Asian's dominate probably 70% of the geographic area in Elmhurst. But many of the areas they own property are 1-3 family homes. I guess it's because the Latinos are in all the coops nearer to Roosevelt Ave. While looking up the stats I was also wondering about Flushing and how it's actually only 44% Asian and 18%/19% Latinos. That's much more surprising.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
From what I can recall looking around while driving and I don't go there often anymore, I would say Asian's dominate probably 70% of the geographic area in Elmhurst. But many of the areas they own property are 1-3 family homes. I guess it's because the Latinos are in all the coops nearer to Roosevelt Ave. While looking up the stats I was also wondering about Flushing and how it's actually only 44% Asian and 18%/19% Latinos. That's much more surprising.
Even though Flushing is known mainly for being an Asian neighborhood, it doesn't surprise me at all that there is a significant Latino minority. There are probably Latinos everywhere in Western Queens.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:16 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,797,008 times
Quote:
I haven't seen the crowd there so I can't speak on that but I don't think big ugly apartment buildings alone make an area hood.
So you're basically commenting and making judgments about an area you have little to no knowledge about. Very smart. And reading comprehension is key. What I said is that the big apartment buildings in combination with the crowd that hang around certain blocks gave me a Springfield Gardens/Jamaica feel. Not exactly the hood and the crime doesn't reflect it, but it feels like a hood area. Almost the way a Corona would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: